New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil
Jul 4, 2013 at 8:56 AM Post #271 of 9,484
There is a thing i dont get.... the Amp is 30 lbs.... ok, but the dac is 30 lbs too? Whats in there?! 

Jul 4, 2013 at 11:08 AM Post #273 of 9,484
Drik must've worked at Singlepower way back when. 
size]

Jul 4, 2013 at 12:07 PM Post #279 of 9,484
Jul 4, 2013 at 12:10 PM Post #280 of 9,484
If DSD is DED, um dead, it hasn't stopped squirming. There is a small but consistent flow of new releases, almost exclusively classical. Every so often there will be a bunch of pop discs from Japan, or a US release like the recent SACD of Yes' Close to the Edge.

Of course, what makes a DAC useful is DSD downloads, and many are holding their collective breath to see whether that trend takes off. It's yet another case of software providers bemoaning the lack of hardware while hardware makers point to the dearth of software. But a significant number of new DACS, both consumer and pro, are now DSD-capable; though the cheapest one I can think of offhand is around $1,600. Jason's idea of a standalone box, which I believe is what they're working on, seems a good one.

Jul 4, 2013 at 12:22 PM Post #281 of 9,484
If DSD is DED, um dead, it hasn't stopped squirming. There is a small but consistent flow of new releases, almost exclusively classical. Every so often there will be a bunch of pop discs from Japan, or a US release like the recent SACD of Yes' Close to the Edge.

Of course, what makes a DAC useful is DSD downloads, and many are holding their collective breath to see whether that trend takes off. It's yet another case of software providers bemoaning the lack of hardware while hardware makers point to the dearth of software. But a significant number of new DACS, both consumer and pro, are now DSD-capable; though the cheapest one I can think of offhand is around $1,600. Jason's idea of a standalone box, which I believe is what they're working on, seems a good one.

Resonessence Concero HD for $800 and Matrix X-Sabre for $1100 are two DSD cable DACs that are lowering the cost of entry. With ESS releasing new variants of the 9018 chipset designed for smaller, more mobile applications, DSD capabilities will probably trickle down even more.

Jul 4, 2013 at 2:25 PM Post #282 of 9,484
A USB to I2S converter designed directly into the DAC input without cables would be the most logical step. Everything else is a means of making money. I don't know why the big house designers keep using an old conversion technology today. The only other method being more direct is sending the data direct from the drive to a DAC made to assemble the data and process it in it's architecture. Data buffers, clocks, output implementation, etc. would be a R/D undertaking. I'd comment that USB isn't the best medium for data transfer since it's a main bus for many functions. A server with a static drive would be the logical step IMO but I don't know enough about the technologies to comment. I would love to hear a digital designer's layman conversation over a beer.

Jul 4, 2013 at 3:26 PM Post #283 of 9,484
Jul 5, 2013 at 3:02 AM Post #284 of 9,484
Quote:

Maybe something like this?

M74.JPG

Oh... so a lot of "something" and 3 big "somethings" Nice :D. (My version of i got no idea what that is but it looks good).
Yggdrasil is also a Hero overlord in starcraft broodwar (my favorite game).

Im lucky i aint got a GF or wife; she would just ask me why do i need that if a simple mp3 does the "same" thing :D.

Jul 5, 2013 at 8:46 AM Post #285 of 9,484
Oh... so a lot of "something" and 3 big "somethings" Nice :D. (My version of i got no idea what that is but it looks good).
Yggdrasil is also a Hero overlord in starcraft broodwar (my favorite game).

Im lucky i aint got a GF or wife; she would just ask me why do i need that if a simple mp3 does the "same" thing :D.
That sir, is a lot of power supply with a dac in the middle. Since we're listening to power, you want plenty of it. That's where a lot of companies take short cuts. As you can see in the pic, A-Gd don't take short cuts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back