New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil
Jun 26, 2013 at 6:07 PM Post #211 of 9,484
Quote:

Ha. Really both.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/603218/schiit-mjolnir-headphone-amplifier/2715#post_9546647

Bottom line:

1. With proper transformer design and PCB layout, there's no benefit in terms of hum and noise. And 2-box designs can actually be worse in this respect if stacked (see the link above.)
2. You want the regulation to be as close as possible to the circuit you're regulating, not in an external box. Of course, you can have an external box without regulation, and regulate locally.

but the biggest reason:

3. The chassis is usually the most costly part of a design. In some cases, it can exceed the cost of everything inside the box (usually not, in the case of our products, but when you go fancy, bring a big wallet.) So why double the chassis cost?

ah, never actually considered the chassis being such a big cost factor.

I see some companies, specifically motherboard manufacturers putting a copper wall around the audio circuitry to shield it from noise.

I always thought the 2 chassis stacks were a bit over the top, i.e. the Dark Star, which the Ragnarok has much more power and all in a single chassis, and can drive speakers!

Doesn't appear that your designs even need such silliness. Clean designs = happy listening, my bifrost hasn't disappointed me yet!

I really can't wait to hear the Yggdrasil! Guess i'll just invest in the Uber Analog upgrade until I can save up!

Jun 26, 2013 at 7:13 PM Post #212 of 9,484
http://www.head-fi.org/t/545842/schiit-dacs-bifrost-and-gungnir-down-one-to-go-the-information-and-anticipation-thread/2520#post_8236878

So, what do I win for naming these 15 months ago?

redface.gif

Jun 27, 2013 at 2:43 AM Post #216 of 9,484
Quote:
no hdmi input on the dac? i'm disappointed 

Almost all devices have HDMI Nowadays, i'm not disappointed, but it would be nice if it had the connection... probably some Dolby, DTS decoding capabilities aswell...
popcorn.gif
 but then again.... maybe i'm asking for too much... i think new dacs should have these capabilities and connections...  

Jun 27, 2013 at 2:56 AM Post #217 of 9,484
So what happens if the new Schiit statement amp's sound better than the LAu? (Supposedly a $6-7k end game, apocalyptic headphone amp with plenty of power to boot). 

I'm starting to like Schiit more now. 

Jun 27, 2013 at 8:32 AM Post #219 of 9,484
Quote:

Ha, yes, we're actually using the mini Maggies as one of the speakers in development. Though you better have a lot of desk space!

One of the nice things about the microprocessor control is that we're also using it to monitor all current and DC conditions, so it's actually setting the quiescent current and managing DC, as well as monitoring for faults--so there's no need for a DC servo at all. So, DC coupled all the way through, no servo, and no worries about drift.

Still running a few versions of output devices, one depletion mode, one lateral, one vertical...decisions...

This is really exciting - I've been  looking for a combined Mini Maggie / Headphone setup. Can't wait for availability / first impressions.

Jun 28, 2013 at 10:34 AM Post #222 of 9,484
Quote:
So what happens if the new Schiit statement amp's sound better than the LAu? (Supposedly a $6-7k end game, apocalyptic headphone amp with plenty of power to boot). 

If that happens, it won't be universally agreed upon, and people who are happy to pay $6-7K for a beautifully designed, great sounding amp, will continue to do so.  For people who can't or won't pay that much, they will have a wonderful option to get end-game sound for less.  Schiit was already going to sell far more of these than Cavalli based on price and production scale.

Jun 28, 2013 at 1:10 PM Post #223 of 9,484
Quote:
If that happens, it won't be universally agreed upon, and people who are happy to pay $6-7K for a beautifully designed, great sounding amp, will continue to do so.  For people who can't or won't pay that much, they will have a wonderful option to get end-game sound for less.  Schiit was already going to sell far more of these than Cavalli based on price and production scale.

+1.

It ultimately doesn't matter.  Like what you like, buy what you like.  It's your ears, and not everyone agrees.

I also don't know what end-game sound is.  I'm not sure I want to die upon hearing it.
tongue_smile.gif

Jun 28, 2013 at 3:41 PM Post #224 of 9,484
I am really interested in this as an end-game amp. 

Which reminds me, I've never seen the term 'end-game' used as often as I have on this forum lately.  I take it as a sign to suck it up and make a serious move.  Not sure if the HE-5LE's are my end-game cans, but the rest of the Schiit may be looking clearer.

Jun 28, 2013 at 4:24 PM Post #225 of 9,484
In some cases that is true but not here.  We know exactly what the amp design is based on the old Sumo designs and by tearing the Mjölnir apart.  In some rare cases the actual amplifying components are also a factor here as some only behave when run on the edge. 

Run on the edge of what?
That's really vague.
You can't just increase bias current up and up and up.
Technically, it's impossible, there is always a law of diminishing returns, an optimum point bias point (depending on what you are aiming for, of course).
More audiophile mumbo jumbo?:rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back