New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil
Nov 22, 2015 at 5:58 PM Post #8,866 of 9,484
I use Foobar on my PC. I have tried just playing YouTube audio and bypassing Foobar.

I also tried just playing YouTube on my MacBook Pro.

In both cases I bypassed the Wyrd.

Yggy locks a signal, but there is no audio from my speakers or headphones. :/

Nov 22, 2015 at 7:29 PM Post #8,867 of 9,484
Has your friend stopped by? Hopefully he has another amplifier to bypass the Ragnarok and feed directly from the Yggdrasil. But it may also be helpful if you have another RCA source, something to feed directly into the Ragnarok, like a disc player or simply a 1/8" phono to RCA cable, which can be fed directly from your computer via analog output. Hope your friend is bringing these kinds of parts to try out.

Nov 23, 2015 at 10:19 AM Post #8,868 of 9,484
I tried the Yggy to my HT Receiver via RCA and there is no audio.

Going to try my iPhone to the Rag via 1/8" to RCA tonight after work.

At this point I am thinking the Yggy is not outputting an analog signal. :/

Nov 23, 2015 at 11:28 AM Post #8,869 of 9,484
For those of you with experience with the Schiit line I’d appreciate some feedback. I’m currently returning to my life long love of music with some enthusiasm because research into new phones led to this site, precipitated a modest investment in HD600s and turned me onto the value of Schiit products. Digital and mass-distributed sound had slowly eaten away at my joy without me even realizing it.

With my purchase of a Valhalla 2 (temporarily coupled to an HRT Microstreamer) I’m hearing nuanced sound again and it is both intriguing and beautiful. Unfortunately before I purchased my Bimby I stumbled onto this thread and I started thinking. All of you understand what happened next. I’ve recently attempted to read this entire thread but ended up skipping through it.

I’m trying to decide if I can purchase a Bimby and make this setup my own end of game. HD600, V2 and Bimby are well matched and a great value. If I move to the Gimby or Yggy I raise my own bar, but I do want an end game rather than making myself into a hobby trader. The HD800S is around the corner and going to a balanced setup with them means another amp. I love the HD600s but if I raise the bar with my DAC new phones seem necessary. Since I’m currently enamored with the V2 I don’t see letting it go. Here are some possible setups and I would like feedback regarding the relative benefits of what I would have in real time and what I could look toward to with a few purchases.

Quick endgame: Bimby or Gimby or Yggy into my Valhalla 2 on my Senn HD600s. Variable: DAC quality. Is the Bimby all that is necessary considering the other components?

Intermediate: Reach for the Gimby or Yggy with the V2 and the HD600s. Variable: Better DAC sets the stage for Final setup.

Final: Gimby or Vggy feeding both V2 and a balanced amp (TBD) with HD600s on V2 and HD800S and speakers on TBD. Variables: Schiit DAC and balanced amp.

I hope this might be an entertaining discussion even though it isn’t a new one. (This is a long thread!) Any thoughts from you who have moved up the Schiit line is especially appreciated. Value is certainly on my mind but the Yggy conversation has me wanting to maximize my endgame joy even if the game goes into overtime for a bit.
atsmile.gif

Nov 23, 2015 at 2:10 PM Post #8,870 of 9,484
  I tried the Yggy to my HT Receiver via RCA and there is no audio.

Going to try my iPhone to the Rag via 1/8" to RCA tonight after work.

At this point I am thinking the Yggy is not outputting an analog signal. :/

Have you called Schiit?

Nov 23, 2015 at 2:18 PM Post #8,871 of 9,484
  For those of you with experience with the Schiit line I’d appreciate some feedback. I’m currently returning to my life long love of music with some enthusiasm because research into new phones led to this site, precipitated a modest investment in HD600s and turned me onto the value of Schiit products. Digital and mass-distributed sound had slowly eaten away at my joy without me even realizing it.

With my purchase of a Valhalla 2 (temporarily coupled to an HRT Microstreamer) I’m hearing nuanced sound again and it is both intriguing and beautiful. Unfortunately before I purchased my Bimby I stumbled onto this thread and I started thinking. All of you understand what happened next. I’ve recently attempted to read this entire thread but ended up skipping through it.

I’m trying to decide if I can purchase a Bimby and make this setup my own end of game. HD600, V2 and Bimby are well matched and a great value. If I move to the Gimby or Yggy I raise my own bar, but I do want an end game rather than making myself into a hobby trader. The HD800S is around the corner and going to a balanced setup with them means another amp. I love the HD600s but if I raise the bar with my DAC new phones seem necessary. Since I’m currently enamored with the V2 I don’t see letting it go. Here are some possible setups and I would like feedback regarding the relative benefits of what I would have in real time and what I could look toward to with a few purchases.

Quick endgame: Bimby or Gimby or Yggy into my Valhalla 2 on my Senn HD600s. Variable: DAC quality. Is the Bimby all that is necessary considering the other components?

Intermediate: Reach for the Gimby or Yggy with the V2 and the HD600s. Variable: Better DAC sets the stage for Final setup.

Final: Gimby or Vggy feeding both V2 and a balanced amp (TBD) with HD600s on V2 and HD800S and speakers on TBD. Variables: Schiit DAC and balanced amp.

I hope this might be an entertaining discussion even though it isn’t a new one. (This is a long thread!) Any thoughts from you who have moved up the Schiit line is especially appreciated. Value is certainly on my mind but the Yggy conversation has me wanting to maximize my endgame joy even if the game goes into overtime for a bit.
atsmile.gif

That's a tough question.  I have a Bimby setup in my living room and an Yggy in my main listening area / home office.  I do use a Senn HD600 in both.  Amp wise I use a Valhalla 2 in both and love it.  If you're going to be using mostly high Z cans, you could stop there with that amp and be fine.  

It's difficult to really answer though.  My ragnarok/yggdrasil stack is just stunning.  First thing you need is a better DAC.  Any of the multibit DACs is going to be a big step up.  There are plenty of posts discussing the efficacies of them all.  If you favor accuracy and ultimate in clarity, grab an Yggy or Gumby.  If you want a slightly more euphonic sound (slightly) then get a Bimby and call it done. I dunno.  Basically, get a better DAC.  Look at your budget and plan accordingly.  The current amp you have is fantastic.   

Nov 23, 2015 at 5:39 PM Post #8,873 of 9,484
  That's a tough question.  I have a Bimby setup in my living room and an Yggy in my main listening area / home office.  I do use a Senn HD600 in both.  Amp wise I use a Valhalla 2 in both and love it.  If you're going to be using mostly high Z cans, you could stop there with that amp and be fine.  

It's difficult to really answer though.  My ragnarok/yggdrasil stack is just stunning.  First thing you need is a better DAC.  Any of the multibit DACs is going to be a big step up.  There are plenty of posts discussing the efficacies of them all.  If you favor accuracy and ultimate in clarity, grab an Yggy or Gumby.  If you want a slightly more euphonic sound (slightly) then get a Bimby and call it done. I dunno.  Basically, get a better DAC.  Look at your budget and plan accordingly.  The current amp you have is fantastic.   

jfoxvol, you've correctly identified my first priority: I want a DAC compatible with the Valhalla 2. It sounds like you've moved down the road I'm considering. I'm glad you find either DAC with the Valhalla to be a good match. Where are you using the Ragnarok? What do you find it brings to the party with the Yggy? Finally, if you had skipped the Bimby would you miss it or would you appreciate the Yggy as much?
I guess I'm debating whether to jump over the Bimby with the assumption the Yggy would work with the V2 and also another amp due to its versatile outputs.

Nov 24, 2015 at 2:37 AM Post #8,874 of 9,484
I have determined my Yggy no longer outputs an analog signal. I have requested RMA. Hopefully this doesn't take long. Figures it had to happen just in time for holidays and vacations. :/

I love Schiit though and know they will make this right. I wonder if they have had any other Yggys with this issue? Funny that it happened after I turned it off and unplugged the power for a few days. Probably the 2nd time I have powered it down since I got it....and I was part of the first batch of buyers.

Nov 24, 2015 at 2:54 AM Post #8,875 of 9,484
I have determined my Yggy no longer outputs an analog signal. I have requested RMA. Hopefully this doesn't take long. Figures it had to happen just in time for holidays and vacations. :/

I love Schiit though and know they will make this right. I wonder if they have had any other Yggys with this issue? Funny that it happened after I turned it off and unplugged the power for a few days. Probably the 2nd time I have powered it down since I got it....and I was part of the first batch of buyers.

My first Yggdrasil acted that way, straight out of the box. The folks at Schiit Audio, fixed me right up. I hope you get your Yggdrasil back, as soon as possible.

Nov 24, 2015 at 7:09 PM Post #8,876 of 9,484

I just sent mine back with the exact same issue, but in my case there's a chance it was caused by a blow-up/short on the downstream electrostatic amplifier. Though I DO think I recall the relays going haywire clicking for a short stretch *before* the amp failure (still burning it in as time allowed), I didn't get a chance to listen/test it after that and before the amp event. We'll see what they say. I was warned that the analog boards are "extremely expensive" to replace, even though my unit is less than 4-weeks old (bought as new, not B-stock). I can understand a reasonably nasty repair bill if it looks to be my amp's fault, but I'll be pretty damn upset if it's say half of retail. 

Nov 25, 2015 at 11:47 AM Post #8,879 of 9,484
  I just ordered mine yesterday, very unsettling reading failure reports....ive really had enough of them.

If it makes you feel better, it's kinda awful going back to my Eximus DP1 (which I loved) after getting used to the smooth detail of the Yggy.

And gear failures do happen, especially if you go through enough gear. I'd been in the clear for a LONG time, and then got hit with 2 components at once.

Nov 25, 2015 at 12:03 PM Post #8,880 of 9,484
I sold my Kora Hermes II DAC but before I did, I switched it back into the system one last time in place of the Yggdrasil just to make sure... and yes, I absolutely prefer the Shiit.  What an amazing piece of audio gear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back