New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil
Sep 9, 2015 at 4:56 PM Post #8,762 of 9,484
I've been using a 10dB RF attenuator at the BNC input with good results, the SPDIF signals still locks properly

Mini-Circuits Model cat-10-75

probably don't need it to work up to 500MHz

Sep 9, 2015 at 9:45 PM Post #8,764 of 9,484

Thanks for the update, tomorrow I'll send you my home address for shipping. Please send me the tracking code as soon as you'll ship the item (obviously with insurance).

I'll get right on that. Hopefully the FedEx driver will actually wait for a signature instead of just dropping it on my doorstep (in plain view) and taking off like he did with mine. Good thing I've got one of those package tracking apps that beeped "Delivered" so I'd know to check.

Sep 9, 2015 at 9:50 PM Post #8,765 of 9,484
  I'll get right on that. Hopefully the FedEx driver will actually wait for a signature instead of just dropping it on my doorstep (in plain view) and taking off like he did with mine. Good thing I've got one of those package tracking apps that beeped "Delivered" so I'd know to check.

Package tracking apps? :)

Damn, that sucks man, some people just don't care about other's stuff..... :frowning2:

Sep 9, 2015 at 10:08 PM Post #8,766 of 9,484
Package tracking apps? :)

Yeah, I use this so I know what day stuff is supposed to arrive:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.psyrus.packagebuddy&hl=en

First impression of the Yggdrasil and Wyrd... it's a DAC.

Now to start the 100hr burn in with Barbie Girl on Repeat.

Sep 10, 2015 at 4:48 AM Post #8,768 of 9,484
When I had my loaner Yggy, I never noticed any obvious step change over the period I had it (a week and a bit from memory). 

Now with the arrival of my purchased Yggy, I noticed some obvious changes in the first few hours, then no change of any great significance up to Day 9, by which time I was thinking this is as far as it is likely to go. Then on Day 10 it finally happened: a definite step change where any remaining "analytical" traces disappeared, almost to the point of it becoming too analogue-like.

Strangely enough, there a brief premonition of this moment that occurred after 3 or 4 hours, but that didn't last long.   

All through this, the Yggy was left on playing looped music 24/7. 

Hey,
I had similar experience, it was only after about two weeks that suddenly the Yggy took a life of its own. It was OK before but at around 300 of continuous use it sprang to life...

I wonder if it's because mine is next to a window that's often open and it's cold on these isles?

Anyway very happy with the Yggy so far!

Sep 10, 2015 at 7:28 AM Post #8,769 of 9,484
The last few days,  I have been listening to the Gungnir Multibit and the Mjolnir 2 with NOS Telefunken   and was very impressed by the overall sound signature.   But this morning I fired up the old Yggy and Rag and the sound just is bloody fantastic.   I forgot the synergy of this combo is just magnificent, god like even. I will later on today hook the MJ2 to the eggy and see how well that combo drives the ETHER and the HE1K.. To my subjective ears the Gumby is very nice but the Yggy is just more musical, revealing and natural sounding.  The Rag / Yggy will continue to be my primary listening station.  However I am veery impressed with my secondary system, and I will use tt often.

Sep 10, 2015 at 12:33 PM Post #8,770 of 9,484
I am a new user of ygg. 

Is it recommended to use the usb input or the aes input and usb/aes converter to achieve the best SQ? I am using imac as source for ygg. 

If using usb cables, which is a recommended usb cable to use? Since ygg needs power supply from the usb cable (correct me if I am wrong), is it a good idea to use the YFS split cable + some battery for 5v supply?

http://yourfinalsystem.com/yfs-cables-interconnects
http://www.google.com/url?q=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2FCompact-20000mAh-Portable-Anker-PowerCore%2Fdp%2FB00X5RV14Y%2Fref%3Dsr_1_4%3Fie%3DUTF8%26qid%3D1441832027%26sr%3D8-4%26keywords%3Danker%2Bbattery&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AFQjCNGqYdMwJ_x-07akZ46FzXb3F2a1DQ

What other solution is out there for usb connection for bringing the best sound out of ygg? (Recommendations for usb cables, usb linear power supplies, usb purifier)

Thanks for sharing.

Sep 10, 2015 at 12:55 PM Post #8,771 of 9,484
  I am a new user of ygg. 

Is it recommended to use the usb input or the aes input and usb/aes converter to achieve the best SQ? I am using imac as source for ygg. 

If using usb cables, which is a recommended usb cable to use? Since ygg needs power supply from the usb cable (correct me if I am wrong), is it a good idea to use the YFS split cable + some battery for 5v supply?

http://yourfinalsystem.com/yfs-cables-interconnects
http://www.google.com/url?q=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2FCompact-20000mAh-Portable-Anker-PowerCore%2Fdp%2FB00X5RV14Y%2Fref%3Dsr_1_4%3Fie%3DUTF8%26qid%3D1441832027%26sr%3D8-4%26keywords%3Danker%2Bbattery&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AFQjCNGqYdMwJ_x-07akZ46FzXb3F2a1DQ

What other solution is out there for usb connection for bringing the best sound out of ygg? (Recommendations for usb cables, usb linear power supplies, usb purifier)

Thanks for sharing.

IMO, Schiit Wyrd and virtually any USB cables 2 meters or shorter and call it done. :)

Sep 10, 2015 at 1:08 PM Post #8,773 of 9,484
I would recommend the Cabledyne Reference Silver USB cable. If you find that too pricey, you could get a Lightspeed 1G cable from Light Harmonic or a Schiit Pyst USB cable.

By the way, the Yggy doesn't draw power from the USB. It needs the power to initiate a "handshake" with the source device after which it will receive the signal only from the source device.
You could get the Schiit Wyrd which will send a much cleaner signal to the Yggy after cleaning most of the noise from the source. In this case you will need 2 USB cables, one connecting the source to the Wyrd and then another one connecting the Wyrd to the Yggy.

IMO the USB Regen from Uptone Audio does a much better job than the Wyrd, though it's more expensive.

Sep 10, 2015 at 1:19 PM Post #8,774 of 9,484
  Thank you! I think the yggy already incorporated the wyred technologies inside?

I don't know about that, don't think so. Even if it did, adding a Wyrd can still provide additional USB help. 

Sep 10, 2015 at 3:50 PM Post #8,775 of 9,484
  I would recommend the Cabledyne Reference Silver USB cable. If you find that too pricey, you could get a Lightspeed 1G cable from Light Harmonic or a Schiit Pyst USB cable.

By the way, the Yggy doesn't draw power from the USB. It needs the power to initiate a "handshake" with the source device after which it will receive the signal only from the source device.
You could get the Schiit Wyrd which will send a much cleaner signal to the Yggy after cleaning most of the noise from the source. In this case you will need 2 USB cables, one connecting the source to the Wyrd and then another one connecting the Wyrd to the Yggy.

IMO the USB Regen from Uptone Audio does a much better job than the Wyrd, though it's more expensive.

Thank you. I am interested in Cabledyne since someone else referred it to me too. For the uptone regen, do I need to buy a linear 6v power supply and a short usb A to usb B adaptor for it? Thanks. 

How will cabledyne reference compared to Anticables usb or YFS usb cable? Thanks if you have any opinions on these cables. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back