New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil
May 14, 2015 at 1:53 PM Post #7,486 of 9,484
  I don't believe there's any way to use an outboard LPS w/ the Yggy w/o modding...

wait a sec if the usb takes power from the 5v line  then you have options to replace it with 5v from a lpsu if it Will make an audible difference YMMV

May 14, 2015 at 2:29 PM Post #7,487 of 9,484
  wait a sec if the usb takes power from the 5v line  then you have options to replace it with 5v from a lpsu if it Will make an audible difference YMMV

Sure.

Y-split USB cable, SOTM or custom made 5V linear reg psu with USB female.

May 14, 2015 at 2:41 PM Post #7,488 of 9,484

See http://superuser.com/questions/912679/when-do-i-need-a-pure-sine-wave-ups/912749#912749 for an example of true (or pure) sine wave output from an UPS as compared to what you get from the wall.

Personally, I wouldn't plug a power or integrated amp into an UPS. However, I don't see it being a problem with DAC's and headphone amps.

(I use a Bryston BIT-15 with all my gear, including the integrated amp.)

I think as long as an Isolation transformer can provide enough safe current without getting into "shutdown" many devices like devices will benefit alot. I agree a low current headphone amp and source devices would work great. I am considering on getting  a custom made isolation transformer from Space Tech labs to assure I will have good headroom for my audio gear. Albert at space tech says there's no need to go beyond your limitations because it will simply kill your wallet going overkill. 

no its a power conditioner afaik

I was looking for a lot of power conditioners recently but the reply i got from many people in the industry (apart from those that make power conditioners *duh) is that its always better t otry and get a dedicated power line for your audio. the consensus seems to be conditioners can do more harm than good?

I've tested a "foundation research" LC2 iirc with my amp and it was more dynamic. A while back the LC1 and LC2 was one of the top of the line cord/line conditioners in one. 

There have been a good indication that dedicated lines allows max amperage (ac receptacle only for stereo gear only) but this isn't immune to power grid noise. I cannot find a link but there was a noise tester unit plugged into a dedicated line that had incredible noise levels but the blue circle conditioner cleaned up the noise without killing dynamics. 

Looks interesting is a good way to put it.  They look like something I would have built in shop back in junior high. 
tongue.gif

Even Gilber admits it's ugly. The only benefit to passive BC products is that it's considered to be non current limiting so I can plug source or amps with no fear...except for me surpass 15amps on my "non" dedicated line.

May 14, 2015 at 3:42 PM Post #7,490 of 9,484
  Isolation Transformer.  Look at Bryston.  In interest of full disclosure, I have a friends who works for them but it's a heck of a product.

Yes - that's the BIT line - the IS products contain only the transformer with options to include surge suppression and automatic voltage regulation. They use Plitron transformers and ZeroSurge for surge suppression. Fairly expensive (the BIT-15 retails for $2195), but well worth it, IMHO.

Plitron also markets their own products for the A/V market under the Torus Power brand. If you need a small isolation transformer, their TOT line might fit the bill. Another way to save money is to look at Plitron's medical product line - it seems to be mostly the same technology, but at half the cost. For example, an 1800 VA unit with surge suppression (PM-08908-00) currently sells for 1151.23 CAD or $959.84 direct from Plitron (http://shop.plitron.com/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=106&cat=North+American).

May 14, 2015 at 4:11 PM Post #7,492 of 9,484

May 14, 2015 at 4:12 PM Post #7,493 of 9,484
you could probably post that picture in just about any thread on head-fi and chances are it would be accurate

May 14, 2015 at 4:34 PM Post #7,494 of 9,484
Hugo bashing is part of OP in the 'Bunch of Dacs -> Yggy hype' thread, this is the just the other Yggy thread...

May 14, 2015 at 5:37 PM Post #7,495 of 9,484
A quick note on the Audiophilleo USB transport in comparison to the USB gen 3 on Yggy:

The Yggy's USB interface is better. I did a direct A/B comparison between the two, and the Yggy USB interface was clearly a step up. I had the (now sold) Audiophilleo 2 w/ PurePower in my system for over 2 years, and the differences were immediate and somewhat shocking; larger soundstage in width and depth, smoother, more detail, etc. Truly impressive stuff.

May 14, 2015 at 7:35 PM Post #7,496 of 9,484
My friend with the Yggy shorted the coax and xlr inputs on his Yggy.  He is using bnc.  He said that it gave slightly better dynamics and a slightly larger soundstage.  I have no idea if this is audible to those that are using USB input.  Next he is going to change the rca jacks on his analog output cables to xlrs and use the positive phase from the xlr outs to see if removing the summing circuit improves the sound.  After that he is going to short the usb input.  Will let you know what he hears.

May 14, 2015 at 9:29 PM Post #7,497 of 9,484

From my brief comparison, I think the awesome soundstage and some of the detail level is directly influenced by using the built-in USB interface. Changing the interface however can and will affect presentation. 

IIRC @Baldr said he prefers the AES input.  Did you try any of the other inputs or are you USB-only?

May 14, 2015 at 9:35 PM Post #7,498 of 9,484
  My friend with the Yggy shorted the coax and xlr inputs on his Yggy.  He is using bnc.  He said that it gave slightly better dynamics and a slightly larger soundstage.  I have no idea if this is audible to those that are using USB input.  Next he is going to change the rca jacks on his analog output cables to xlrs and use the positive phase from the xlr outs to see if removing the summing circuit improves the sound.  After that he is going to short the usb input.  Will let you know what he hears.

Whats his theory here?  Is he trying to reduce cross-talk from the other outputs?

May 14, 2015 at 11:04 PM Post #7,499 of 9,484

Yes - that's the BIT line - the IS products contain only the transformer with options to include surge suppression and automatic voltage regulation. They use Plitron transformers and ZeroSurge for surge suppression. Fairly expensive (the BIT-15 retails for $2195), but well worth it, IMHO.

Plitron also markets their own products for the A/V market under the Torus Power brand. If you need a small isolation transformer, their TOT line might fit the bill. Another way to save money is to look at Plitron's medical product line - it seems to be mostly the same technology, but at half the cost. For example, an 1800 VA unit with surge suppression (PM-08908-00) currently sells for 1151.23 CAD or $959.84 direct from Plitron (http://shop.plitron.com/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=106&cat=North+American).

If it helps, Plitron/Torus Power produces Bryston's BIT items; the only real difference is the chassis.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back