New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil
Apr 27, 2015 at 11:37 AM Post #6,048 of 9,484
  Switching gears a bit, I'm genuinely interested in knowing who Schiit is targeting with the Yggdrasil's AES3 XLR and 75Ω BNC coax inputs.  I mean, I know people are going to use the coax (RCA-style) and optical ('Toslink') connections as S/PDIF inputs... but does anyone here have the kind of equipment that would make use of a balanced AES3 port?

Wait, now – I'm thinking... so is Schiit itself going to create some [redacted] gear that connects to Yggy with such a high bitrate output (24/192+) that it would benefit from the reliability of AES3 over balanced? Jason has been known to say "optical strains to reliably send at 24/192" ... hmm

So, yes — still curious: Anyone with a piece of equipment that uses a balanced AES3 output?  Anyone plan on using that input or the 75Ω coax input with their new Yggy?

My PSA PWT CD transport has all those output capabilities, and since I've already determined that the best input into my a-gd M7 DAC is HDMI I2S, that leaves the PWT AES/EBU, Toslink and RCA outputs in which to evaluate the Yggy SP/DIF inputs.  It's not all about USB, yet.  Fortunately.

Quote:
  Look for a product using the Philips CDPro2.

The problem with the older CD transport models is that their laser drive mechanism has a finite lifetime.  Unless the CD-Pro2 drive assembly is still available as a replacement part, I'm wary of picking up an older transport whose drive mechanism and/or laser alignment may be in its final days.  The last obsolete refurbished CD transport (player) I bought, I also snagged a spare laser drive mechanism for it at the same time.  Unfortunately its DAC (PCM1704) is integrated into it, and no digital output is available.  Useful for comparative purposes, I guess.

Having said that, do you know of any noteworthy CD transports that incorporated the Philips CD-Pro2 drive?  Teac/Esoteric? 

Apr 27, 2015 at 11:54 AM Post #6,049 of 9,484
I would like to create a stack on my desk consisting of Yggdrasil/Tascam DA-3000/Ragnarok but would like to get a bit more space between each component as they all exhaust upward.

Can anyone suggest good rubber isolation footers that could add some height to a stack without using a rack?

Apr 27, 2015 at 12:20 PM Post #6,051 of 9,484
Check out the Cambridge-audio new CDC transport. Havent heard it, but thinking to buy one myself. Nice to see new and affordable cd-transport these days... I guess the cd format is still breathing...agonals :wink:

Apr 27, 2015 at 12:20 PM Post #6,052 of 9,484
  I would like to create a stack on my desk consisting of Yggdrasil/Tascam DA-3000/Ragnarok but would like to get a bit more space between each component as they all exhaust upward.

Can anyone suggest good rubber isolation footers that could add some height to a stack without using a rack?

Herbies audio makes some somewhat expensive stuff that works well. Might be a far cheaper diy option out there though.

Check out the Tenderfeet from Herbie's Audio Lab. The regular version is 0.65" tall and the Big Tall is 1.02" tall. Plan on ordering some for myself soon.

Apr 27, 2015 at 12:31 PM Post #6,054 of 9,484
Lol. Will the Yggdrasil turn me to stone, do to the greatness of the music after a 150 hour burn time? My Yggdrasil comes later today, I can not wait to start burning it in.

Either turn you to stone, make you explode, or take you back in time when there were these things called records.

I think the headphone upgrade would be a more a more significant upgrade to the system than a dac upgrade, regardless of how stellar it is... IMO

While good troubleshooting technique involves working from the 'tailpipe' backward (i.e. headphones/speakers), I for one believe in working forward in my audio setup for upgradng the weak links.  Allows you to realize the full capabilities of your downstream components (amp/HP) before you think to replace them.

I'm still looking for that mystical CD transport.  :wink:

Theta Data III or a laserdisc player. My parents' laserdisc players still work. High mass. Extremely strong motor that grips the CDs like a mother-******.

In the past, I would recommend headphone first. The headphone / speaker does make the most difference. But once you've owned dozens of headphones and half a dozen amps, you start to appreciate the more subtle qualities of amps and DACs. Consider that the Yggy is something you would keep for a while. It's good to have certain things remain constant in the audiophile journey.

Apr 27, 2015 at 12:31 PM Post #6,055 of 9,484
Check out the Cambridge-audio new CDC transport. Havent heard it, but thinking to buy one myself. Nice to see new and affordable cd-transport these days... I guess the cd format is still breathing...agonals
wink.gif

I have the CA 851C player. On some used CDs I've procured it'll pick up scratched track data that my PWT with its RAM buffer multiple scan won't.  More robust/forgiving track scanning, I suppose.

Comforting to know that CD transport new releases are still active.

Oops, i meant Cambridge-audio CXC.

The CXC appears to have the same scanning/drive mechanism (S3 servo) as the 851C.  As I said, seems to be a solid performer as a transport.

Theta Data III or a laserdisc player. My parents' laserdisc players still work. High mass. Extremely strong motor that grips the CDs like a mother-******.

If you google, you'll find a number of audio forums where people are now seeking laser realignment advice, repair kits and/or replacement drive mechanisms for their older CD transports.  Scary on the face of it when they find out their only recourse may be home realignment, spare parts being SOL and no factory support.

Apr 27, 2015 at 1:02 PM Post #6,057 of 9,484

Having said that, do you know of any noteworthy CD transports that incorporated the Philips CD-Pro2 drive?  Teac/Esoteric? 

Yes, older transports can be problematic.  I use a Northstar 192 CD transport that I bought back in 2003.  It still works great but likely because I use it very rarely these days.  I only mention the old Phillips transport because that was the reason I bought the Northstar.  I think the last version was called the CD-Pro2LF which seems to be available on the Web for DIY purposes.  I understand that Accuphase has developed their own transport that is as good as or better than the old Phillips design although I have no experience with them:  http://www.accuphase.com/digital_source.html

And of course the better Sony transports have always been good.  I have used a Tascam pro CD player in the past that was excellent.

Apr 27, 2015 at 1:40 PM Post #6,058 of 9,484
Any updates on shipping notifications?

This probably isn't what you are looking for, but who cares.
My Yggy is going to see the Webster Sox Amateur Baseball team in Webster, MN. Topped off at Ettlins Ranchero Supper Club for "A Swiss Panache in a Small Town Experience."
Here is a picture of the Delicious pork schnitzel with red cabbage and spazzel the Yggy had.

:D

Apr 27, 2015 at 1:44 PM Post #6,059 of 9,484
One final question from me regarding the Rag / Ygg combo. I plan on connecting the Ygg to the Rag with balanced XLR cables. Currently my HD800s are single ended. Is it significantly recommended to use a balanced headphone input over SE for greater fidelity or is the only perceivable difference the level of volume?

Apr 27, 2015 at 1:46 PM Post #6,060 of 9,484
Not particular to Yggy but the Rag. The balanced output of the Rag (or the Rok) is better than the SE output.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back