New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil
Apr 27, 2015 at 12:13 AM Post #6,016 of 9,484
On the SPDIF, BNC, AES, USB converter, etc. thing: I wouldn't worry too much about it yet. It's likely that the Yggy will be such a huge step up from what most of us are using already that these "little" tweaks won't matter much. The Yggy (warmed up) was a big step above the Theta Gen V; and the Theta Gen V was IMOP easily better than anything else I owned before that. Not saying don't pay attention to tweaks down the line. Just saying enjoy Yggy without OCD, without worrying about tweaks. At least for a few months. Just enjoy the music.

As far as the science aspect: Science can answer a lot of things, but real science also needs exploration, development, and testing and to answer these "lot of things". If we only want to look at things from a logic / "science" POV based on what we currently know, many things in audio don't make sense. In the meantime, I can shed some light on a few things I've subjectively observed:

• I found the built in USB Gen 3 of the Yggy to be better sounding than the OR 5 converter / Wyrd combination with AES or SPDIF. The USB Gen 3 was blacker without any haze with a touch more resolution and smoothness. I'm not surprised. USB audio is getting better and better. Schiit's been figuring this out. Do you guys remember years ago when Schiit preferred toslink to USB?
  • Feeding Gen V using Theta Data III transport, the SPDIF through ATT ST optical (not to be confused with toslink) was easily the best sounding, followed by AES and OR5 (tied), with SPDIF coax last. Very short, as in less than 1', AES and SPDIF runs were used.
  • I have not compared USB Gen 3 to SPDIF or AES from the Theta Data III transport. I really don't care at this point. I will do the comparison one day. It's just too OCD for me right now. Just want to enjoy the music.
  • Using SPDIF into Yggy, I do prefer certain CD transports over than others. Transports do have a sound. I know how my transports sound.

Quote:
  Really looking forward to reading some impressions from some avid tube rollers who've tried some holy grail tubes... eg. how does the imaging/spatial detailing stack up to a pair of Siemens CCa tubes? 

Gah, may just need to spend the very large chunk of change myself... everything is so subjective with music (to a point, I suppose).

popcorn.gif

Tubes don't inherently have a soundstage. Can you be more specific on implementation? I will say that Yggy (and my old Theta Gen V) beat my Sonic Frontiers with Telefunkens. The SF DAC in comparison had same sense of openness, but imaging was more "faked" in that it lacked the precision in demarking the boundaries/space of the venue and specific location of instruments.

Apr 27, 2015 at 1:37 AM Post #6,020 of 9,484
  On the Schiit Yggdrasil Page:

"Status: Backordered. Orders placed now are expected to ship at the end of June 2015."
ph34r.gif

That actually took longer than I had anticipated, considering first batch was 200 units. Was supposed to be 250 but some chassis weren't up to snuff. I really thought it would be back ordered a few hours after launch.

Apr 27, 2015 at 2:59 AM Post #6,024 of 9,484
The Yggy is into its 57th hour of power.

It's difficult to articulate exactly what's going on with the sound. Everything is more... relaxed. Smooth, fluid. It's as if the Yggy is this virtuoso guitarist who has slowly leaned back and kicked up his feet without missing a note or beat.

By comparison, the sound upon unboxing was brighter, more brash. It's like we went from 8 bits per color channel to 10. That touch of banding in your gradient? Gone. The transition between hues is now flawless.

There is more contrast between textures. Take Daft Punk's Doin' it Right, and the woodblock hitting 1/16 notes at the beginning. It was sharp and clear when I first powered up the Yggy. Sounded great. But listening now... the woodblock's attack is notably changed: less sharp, slightly more round. Something has stretched the 'distance' of sonic distinction between the woodblock and the clap and the hi-hat.

And yet, the sweep of fizzy chimes at the top of Lose Yourself to Dance? Every bit as sweet and bright and delicious. Nothing lost at all.

The Yggy is easier to listen to now. At first blush it sounds like it's doing less but, in fact, there's actually more detail there. It's not detail that jumps out and grabs you, but if you relax and focus it's there to take in and enjoy.

Somebody upthread said they noticed less impactful bass over time. Perhaps. I'm actually hearing more low mids and bass now. The entire bottom end is full and beautifully well-rounded... exactly as a bottom end should be. 'Less impactful' might be compatible with the more relaxed tone I'm observing.

To me it sounds like everything is just falling into its proper place; what I'm hearing now is that much sweeter than two days ago.

Apr 27, 2015 at 3:10 AM Post #6,025 of 9,484
This schiit is getting ridiculous.

Oh yes it is.
Still hoping that someone can actually post a few normal, cool-headed impressions.

Just saying enjoy Yggy without OCD, without worrying about tweaks. At least for a few months. Just enjoy the music..

Apparently thay's like asking hungry sharks to chillout and swim bellyup for a while

Apr 27, 2015 at 3:53 AM Post #6,026 of 9,484
I just took the plunge and ordered both a Yggdrasil and Ragnarok to hopefully be my end game setup for my HD800s. Hopefully the backorder wait is not too long!
smily_headphones1.gif

I do have one question that I hope someone will be able to answer. Is it safe to stack each unit on top of each other temperature wise or should I look into getting a quality rack? If it is safe, which unit is recommended to be put on top? If not, any recommendations for a nice open but small stand that can house just the two chassis?

Apr 27, 2015 at 4:00 AM Post #6,027 of 9,484
  The Yggy is into its 57th hour of power.

It's difficult to articulate exactly what's going on with the sound. Everything is more... relaxed. Smooth, fluid. It's as if the Yggy is this virtuoso guitarist who has slowly leaned back and kicked up his feet without missing a note or beat.

By comparison, the sound upon unboxing was brighter, more brash. It's like we went from 8 bits per color channel to 10. That touch of banding in your gradient? Gone. The transition between hues is now flawless.

There is more contrast between textures. Take Daft Punk's Doin' it Right, and the woodblock hitting 1/16 notes at the beginning. It was sharp and clear when I first powered up the Yggy. Sounded great. But listening now... the woodblock's attack is notably changed: less sharp, slightly more round. Something has stretched the 'distance' of sonic distinction between the woodblock and the clap and the hi-hat.

And yet, the sweep of fizzy chimes at the top of Lose Yourself to Dance? Every bit as sweet and bright and delicious. Nothing lost at all.

The Yggy is easier to listen to now. At first blush it sounds like it's doing less but, in fact, there's actually more detail there. It's not detail that jumps out and grabs you, but if you relax and focus it's there to take in and enjoy.

Somebody upthread said they noticed less impactful bass over time. Perhaps. I'm actually hearing more low mids and bass now. The entire bottom end is full and beautifully well-rounded... exactly as a bottom end should be. 'Less impactful' might be compatible with the more relaxed tone I'm observing.

To me it sounds like everything is just falling into its proper place; what I'm hearing now is that much sweeter than two days ago.

You are getting closer to the twilight zone. Give it another 75 hours.

Apr 27, 2015 at 4:04 AM Post #6,028 of 9,484
I just took the plunge and ordered both a Yggdrasil and Ragnarok to hopefully be my end game setup for my HD800s. Hopefully the backorder wait is not too long! :)

I do have one question that I hope someone will be able to answer. Is it safe to stack each unit on top of each other temperature wise or should I look into getting a quality rack? If it is safe, which unit is recommended to be put on top? If not, any recommendations for a nice open but small stand that can house just the two chassis?

Purely performance wise I would not recommend stacking them one over the other. Although I have done the same with my home theatre gear. Have a few things sitting on top of a beefy 200 watt per channel 5 channel power amp.
But then that's not hifi right?
I wouldn't do it on my 2 channel system.
As for rack recommendation, I would say these things can get pricey very quickly, look for Ikea if your not really looking to spend much else there is the spider if that suits you better.

Apr 27, 2015 at 4:11 AM Post #6,030 of 9,484
  I just took the plunge and ordered both a Yggdrasil and Ragnarok to hopefully be my end game setup for my HD800s. Hopefully the backorder wait is not too long!
smily_headphones1.gif

Yes its possible but ALWAYS put The Rok on top.
And I'd suggest increasing the space between the dac and amp, and even add more space between the dac and the tabletop.

And try not to put anything on top of The Rok, and especially don't block any of the vent holes.

The Rok does run in the 100+F on top.

JJ

Users who are viewing this thread

Back