New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil
Apr 26, 2015 at 1:57 AM Post #5,971 of 9,484
Using adapters is always not the most desirable solution, especially with a very revealing component.  You're probably giving away some of what you paid good money for.  If you';re able to solder, its better to change ends.  The cables are the same.

Apr 26, 2015 at 2:07 AM Post #5,972 of 9,484
Quick question:

My Yggy will be placed quite far away from my computer. I need the Schiit Wyrd in between in order to "extend" the length of my two 1m USB cables. Will the Wyrd decrease the quality of the USB signal / power? I am not too keen on completely reconfiguring my room to allow for a direct connection between the Yggy and my computer.

Apr 26, 2015 at 4:15 AM Post #5,973 of 9,484
  Quick question:

My Yggy will be placed quite far away from my computer. I need the Schiit Wyrd in between in order to "extend" the length of my two 1m USB cables. Will the Wyrd decrease the quality of the USB signal / power? I am not too keen on completely reconfiguring my room to allow for a direct connection between the Yggy and my computer.

no

Apr 26, 2015 at 4:38 AM Post #5,974 of 9,484
  Using adapters is always not the most desirable solution, especially with a very revealing component.  You're probably giving away some of what you paid good money for.  If you';re able to solder, its better to change ends.  The cables are the same.

Ok, so if I order a cable with RCA on one end, and BNC on the other, it would function okay using the BNC input on the Yggy?

Apr 26, 2015 at 5:24 AM Post #5,975 of 9,484
Quick update at approx 20hr mark. Highs have opened up a little and there is less smearing at the top. Overall sound is a bit more relaxed with slightly better layering of the music being presented but I feel as though the bass has diminished a little, less impactful bass than was heard during the first couple of hours of initial turn on. Clarity and separation have jumped up a notch as I am now able to distinguish between various background vocals on certain songs that prior were always presented as just a blob of sound. I'll keep burning in the Yggy and record any further changes that occur. Hopefully it continues to open up further and bass impact comes back.

nooo!

Apr 26, 2015 at 5:54 AM Post #5,976 of 9,484

Double nooooo!
Hey this might be a good excuse to keep it turned off when not in use!  
etysmile.gif

Apr 26, 2015 at 6:58 AM Post #5,978 of 9,484

Ok, so if I order a cable with RCA on one end, and BNC on the other, it would function okay using the BNC input on the Yggy?

While BNC terminations at both ends would be preferable due to their more precise 75 ohm impedance, a proper 75 ohm digital cable terminated RCA to BNC should still work connected to the BNC input of the Yggdrasil. It would also be better than using an adapter at one end of the cable.

Apr 26, 2015 at 7:30 AM Post #5,979 of 9,484
  While BNC terminations at both ends would be preferable due to their more precise 75 ohm impedance, a proper 75 ohm digital cable terminated RCA to BNC should still work connected to the BNC input of the Yggdrasil. It would also be better than using an adapter at one end of the cable.

Would it be beneficial to use USB-SPDIF converter with Yggy?

Apr 26, 2015 at 8:56 AM Post #5,982 of 9,484
I tried haha, brings the best of them, but the difference between them and cd and up is huge. 

This. You wrote a nice review and than this. I'll never understand why ppl feel the need to come up with such stuff. Never met a single person who can reliably a/b between good 320k and CD.
Anyway, dont wanna derail the thread or anything .. just wishing for down to earth impressions not audiophile stories.

Apr 26, 2015 at 10:31 AM Post #5,983 of 9,484
This. You wrote a nice review and than this. I'll never understand why ppl feel the need to come up with such stuff. Never met a single person who can reliably a/b between good 320k and CD.
Anyway, dont wanna derail the thread or anything .. just wishing for down to earth impressions not audiophile stories.

my experience is that it is the recording.
I have ann old low bitrate file of ripped cd that sounds shockingly more realistic than most current mp3s

Yeah it really boils down to the recording.
Like you said, a "good" 320k file

Apr 26, 2015 at 11:10 AM Post #5,985 of 9,484

Sure... give it a try.  The impedance mismatch is negligible with short cables.  You can always swap the sources to the RCA <--> BNC inputs and compare for yourself. 

Just use optical. If the other source you want to use doesn't have optical, get a coax to optical converter. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back