New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil
Mar 27, 2015 at 9:55 PM Post #5,222 of 9,484
Mar 27, 2015 at 10:42 PM Post #5,225 of 9,484
  The update on Yggy status as of Late Thursday, Mar 26, The Yggy is in production – here is a brief description of remaining steps:

All first article PCBs have been approved for mass production at the assembly house. We have assembled one set of the first article boards into the first production Yggy which we will be bringing to Canjam tomorrow night for the weekend show.

5. The production (mass) build boards are delivered to Schiit.

6. Schiit tests the arriving boards.

7. Schiit assembles them into finished Yggys.

8. We burn the Yggys in for a couple of days.

9. We final test, box, and ship them.

We were a couple of days late on getting all first articles approved, but that is behind us we now await completed boards for test. Our assy house can run two kits at a time and there are 6 boards with surface mount parts on both sides, so we should have the majority of them in sometime week after next.

The part we were short has been fixed as we found some in stock that we will have late next week.. The first run will now be 250.

I still need to work on the Windoze drivers problem. We need to experiment with the best way to off-load old/on load new or experimental drivers in a reproducible manner. We also need to verify that new drivers are even necessary. Generally speaking, Windoze drivers are quirky and unreliable, period. This will only affect Windoze pilgrims using USB2.

I seem to read on threads on this forum that this is due to Microsoft (M$) being monopolistic capitalist pigs. Nothing could be further from the truth. It is just that M$ is either too arrogant or lazy to work out a proper implementation of USB2 into Windoze 7, 8x, or apparently Win10, leaving the heavy driver writing lifting to those who make the hardware, none of who give a Schiit about each other or making their drivers compatible with even their own different products. M$ does not give a flying ****** about the USB2 audio market, catering to M$ Office small biz users. Any version of Windoze is a total USB2 audio clusterf**k which Mac and Linux users are spared. It in particular becomes unreliable when competing USB audio devices are being used.

I do however use Windoze machines for engineering and product development. Unlike Windoze engineering software, engineering software written for Mac and Linux really bites the hairy banana.

Well, $chiit.

Mar 28, 2015 at 6:11 AM Post #5,226 of 9,484

Do not - and I repeat do not - buy the Mac laptop. My core i7 / 15" / 16GB MBP is easily the most expensive laptop I've ever owned and the USB port on the left hand side is an absolute joke. Apple, in true corporate fashion, decided that they knew best when it came to the number of USB ports on the sides of their laptops, just as they decided that removing optical drives was a good idea. Build the Linux music server or one of the CAPS V4 configurations - if nothing else, you will learn a hell of a lot. All I've learnt is that - movies and other graphic content aside - Macs are ridiculously overpriced compared to their competition. 

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/section/c-p-s-489/

Inevitably, you will encounter web chatter where someone claims this server or that 'cremated' a CAPS machine - what you need to ask yourself is what the people involved learned in the process. I've built computers and it can be a hell of a lot of fun - end of the day, your choice. Good luck. 

I have been enjoying my rMBP 15" with the same specification. Its definitely preferable to dealing with USB 2.0 driver issues on Windows. Its the 2nd most expensive laptop I've owned though, prior to the Macbook was a Lenovo W520 workstation laptop, that had a tendency to shutdown without warning which after a lot of to and fro needed an entirely new motherboard to resolve the issue.

I'm getting good audio performance out of Audirvana+ and when compared to my CD transport and the Mac setup sounds noticeably better. A dedicated Linux CAPS server is still the best route if you need something dedicated for the task, I believe the Mac's USB power management is not optimal, but that can be fixed with a Wyrd if needed. My rMBP allows me to enjoy music on it and I happily run Linux and Windows side by side on it using virtualization. Build quality isn't perfect, mine shipped with a faulty display that took two weeks to repair, but I'm now listening to music through the left USB port on my Violectric V100 and I'm enjoying it!

Mar 28, 2015 at 9:23 AM Post #5,228 of 9,484
Hm great review to add to the number of impressions we already have, seems to be in line with the consensus in terms of its sound and presentation. Sounds like a great match for hard to drive planars, but not sure it'll be on the horizon for me to pair with the HD800 because of the drier presentation of the mids. Would still love to audition it to hear it for myself though.

Mar 28, 2015 at 9:32 AM Post #5,229 of 9,484
The reviewer used the hd800s in SE mode though... so his impressions aren't completely valid imo. 

Mar 28, 2015 at 10:22 AM Post #5,230 of 9,484
A great review, thanks for the heads up, it be appreciated.:)

Mar 28, 2015 at 10:31 AM Post #5,231 of 9,484
That's why i bought a sound card with SPDIF output! 

+1 what a great idea. I am a noobie to some aspects of computer audio. Thanks for the idea.

Mar 28, 2015 at 10:40 AM Post #5,232 of 9,484
  The reviewer used the hd800s in SE mode though... so his impressions aren't completely valid imo. 

Because you dont see anyone else plugging a highly resolving headphone into the SE jack on the Rag or because that doesnt line up with your personal preference ? 

Mar 28, 2015 at 11:07 AM Post #5,233 of 9,484

Because you dont see anyone else plugging a highly resolving headphone into the SE jack on the Rag or because that doesnt line up with your personal preference ? 

Neither?

I'm just stating that he didn't use the Ragnarok to its full potential and he compared the SE hd800s to the balanced he-500s, which isn't fair. Others have stated that the circolotrons of Ragnarok benefits significantly from the balanced output, and the SE output is just there for convenience. The reviewer's impressions could have been much different with the rag if he had used a balanced cable with the hd800s. Just saying that anyone who's thinking of getting a ragnarok should be using it to its full potential by using its balanced output.

Mar 28, 2015 at 12:08 PM Post #5,234 of 9,484
+1 what a great idea. I am a noobie to some aspects of computer audio. Thanks for the idea.

no problem! most new ones even support 88.2 and 176.4 bit rates (Mine doesn't) so occasionally i'll have to upsample something.

Mar 28, 2015 at 1:48 PM Post #5,235 of 9,484

I agree. Going from SE to balanced on HD800s/Rag made a big difference. The sound that review described with HD800s was similar to what I heard with the stock cable single-ended. It all changed when I got my balanced cable. ymmv

Users who are viewing this thread

Back