New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil
Dec 6, 2014 at 12:22 AM Post #4,051 of 9,484
  Back on topic please.
rolleyes.gif

My Ragnarok is all boxed up, waiting for me to pick a 'phone for it.  On topic makes me sad. :frowning2:

Dec 6, 2014 at 12:52 AM Post #4,052 of 9,484
My Rok is starting to open up and reveal hearto unheard aspects of music I'm rather familiar with.
And I KNOW there's more to come…  
atsmile.gif

Me likey…  :thumb

JJ

Dec 6, 2014 at 2:03 AM Post #4,054 of 9,484
My first 2 series of 'tests' will be fuses, then followed by adding WA-Q chips to the fuses.  
Which is the same proceedure I used on my Mojo amp.

I was initailly rather skeptical about the fuses, but that got blown out of the water within 1 minute.
The same thing happened with the fuse chips.

And I really didn't want to believe that a fuse, that cost more than $1 could actually make ANY difference.  
And the same goes for a flimsy piece of stick on 'cellophane'…
Like I said, blown - right - out - of - the - water.

I can only speculate as to why.

But the improvements that resulted weren't slight nor subtle.  
And only got better thru time.

And if they don't make any difference in The Rok, the fuses and chips can be returned for a refund.
Which makes these experiments a no-brainer to my way of thinking.

Somehow I suspect that the improvements they made to the Mojo will also be heard in The Rok…
We'll see…  
atsmile.gif

JJ  :thumb
ps This is the portion of ownership I truly love, exploring the system as a whole and the DUT in particular for its 'scalability'.

Dec 6, 2014 at 2:34 AM Post #4,055 of 9,484
My head hurts from trying to read and understand the last three pages :D Is it just me?!? :))

Dec 6, 2014 at 4:31 AM Post #4,057 of 9,484
The Rok has a nifty fuse holder that is accessible from the outside, so you don't have to 'crack open' the case, which is a decidely good thing.

And unless you are really handy with delicate electronics, have the tools, and a modicum of experience, I wouldn't suggest that people go after the fuse in the Mojo.

But I've been an electronic tech for several decades and have mucho experience with such things as this.  So you could say I'm familiar with 'the guts' of electronic devices…

And since The Rok's fuses are directly accessible, for some figuring out how to change them will be more involved, than actually swapping them out.  

But there are those who really should never be given a screwdriver, or a hammer, or a soldering iron etc., so I'll leave my explanation in this nebulous state, so as to not encourage some to tempt fate…  
atsmile.gif

JJ  :thumb
ps and be aware that…
"Hey, can I replace the fuse?
Sure, you can, but it won't make it sound any better.  Don't use anything other than a 3A slo-blow 5 x 20mm fuse."

From The Rok's Owners Manual - FAQ section…   
&
"10 Fuse Tray.
Replace only with a 3a slo-blow style fuse, 5 x 20mm in size.  Fuses usually don't blow without a reason, so we strongly suggest that you check your system for faults, such as shorted speaker wires, before turning the amp back on again.  And–we really shouldn't have to say this–only replace the fuse with the amp unplugged!"

From The Rok's Owners Manual - Ragnarok Connections section… 

Dec 6, 2014 at 6:33 AM Post #4,058 of 9,484

Hello Ireland ,   

I don't have a link , someone loaned me a copy , it's a recent recording , came out of Europe , probably find it on a google search .   
Sarasate is a South American Composer that I'm just now discovering , Julia recording this is something of a first , I'm guessing .   I'll recommend it to our Leonard Slatkin of the Detroit Symphony next time I see him , probably he already knows . 
  Julia is wonderful , as is J.Bell .   Do you know of any others worthy of discovering ? , I'd love to hear of them . 

Tony in Michigan 
ps.  I did just hear the Vahala lady from Finland , I think , she played "Red Violin" for us at the DSO , breathtakingly beautiful .  another five stars , ohhhhh , I wish I had talent ! 

I found it  - its mine. I love Fischer - her Mendelssohn violin concerto in E minor is the best I have ever heard, even better than Janine Jenson. 

eek.gif

Visit this thread for the best recommendations. Any questions you have the guys on there will have answers - they are a nice bunch. I have gotten great stuff from that thread in the last 2 years. ¬

http://www.head-fi.org/t/626563/best-classical-recordings-ever

Dec 6, 2014 at 7:33 AM Post #4,059 of 9,484
what is the position of the volume know when you guys are using HE6? I used my Alpha Prime which is 90db sensitivity. But my normal listening level put the knob on almost 2 o'clock position.

Dec 6, 2014 at 8:45 AM Post #4,060 of 9,484

Mr.MagicCabbage in Ireland ,

Thank you for Ms.Janine Jenson , lovely .  
and : 
Thank you for Best Classical on head-fi , I live right here in the Center of Head-fi's home base and hardly know the site .  

Tony in Michigan

Dec 6, 2014 at 9:14 AM Post #4,061 of 9,484

Mr.MagicCabbage in Ireland ,

Thank you for Ms.Janine Jenson , lovely .  
and : 
Thank you for Best Classical on head-fi , I live right here in the Center of Head-fi's home base and hardly know the site .  

Tony in Michigan

No problem - those guys really know their stuff and have guided me past bad recording to the really good ones. I have found some real gems through that thread. 

Dec 6, 2014 at 12:12 PM Post #4,065 of 9,484

Hey Johnjen,

What exactly is a WA-Q chip, and where can they be acquired? And do you have a recommendation as to fuse?

http://www.tweekgeek.com/audiophile-tweaks/wa-quantum.html

Most people use HiFi tuning fuses - 
fuses - http://www.thecableco.com/Catalog/Fuses

if you're not married, you'll have to borrow someone's wife to see if there is a difference in sound, since, as we know, that is the true quantitative measure of the effectiveness of tweaks :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back