New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil
Dec 5, 2014 at 8:55 PM Post #4,036 of 9,484
My Dear Denmark , 

It's mostly local vernacular ( and a bit of a rant )  , like visiting northern England and trying to stay with the local Pub talk , you'd need a translator .  
  By the way , I just discovered Julia Fischer and her recorded Saraste performance , it's five star , thru and thru , wonderful music .  I think she's one of the immerging violin virtuosos , they tight-mic her playing to superb result !  

Nice hearing from you ,

Tony in Michigan 

Dec 5, 2014 at 9:08 PM Post #4,037 of 9,484
iQuote:
  By the way , I just discovered Julia Fischer and her recorded Saraste performance , it's five star , thru and thru , wonderful music .  

Post a link please. I really like Fischer

you mean sarasate?

Dec 5, 2014 at 9:21 PM Post #4,039 of 9,484
Fact: capitalizing nouns is a German thing, not English. Again, never a thing here. Nor in the UK, as far as I know.

Not never, but not for a very long time:

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.

We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.

It seems to have been a regional thing (Northern colonies), unless it was a generational thing on its way to going out of style.

Dec 5, 2014 at 9:26 PM Post #4,040 of 9,484

Hello Ireland ,   

I don't have a link , someone loaned me a copy , it's a recent recording , came out of Europe , probably find it on a google search .   
Sarasate is a South American Composer that I'm just now discovering , Julia recording this is something of a first , I'm guessing .   I'll recommend it to our Leonard Slatkin of the Detroit Symphony next time I see him , probably he already knows . 
  Julia is wonderful , as is J.Bell .   Do you know of any others worthy of discovering ? , I'd love to hear of them . 

Tony in Michigan 
ps.  I did just hear the Vahala lady from Finland , I think , she played "Red Violin" for us at the DSO , breathtakingly beautiful .  another five stars , ohhhhh , I wish I had talent ! 

Dec 5, 2014 at 9:29 PM Post #4,041 of 9,484
Not never, but not for a very long time:

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.

We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.

It seems to have been a regional thing (Northern colonies), unless it was a generational thing on its way to going out of style.

Those concept serve as proper nouns.  Proper nouns are capitalized in English.  It's kind of like how theists capitalize god or gods.  I believe all nouns are capitalized in German... but I'm not sure about pronouns.

Dec 5, 2014 at 9:32 PM Post #4,042 of 9,484
I think it may be safe to say the Mr. Kaz(yall) is more about function than form.
But in either case he does bring a unique perspective to these musings, which provides a higher entertainment quotient, which helps keep us from being bored…  
atsmile.gif

JJ  :thumb

Dec 5, 2014 at 9:53 PM Post #4,043 of 9,484

My dear Mr. Cizx , 

How do you pronounce Cizx ?  Sizzex ? or what ?  Catchy name if I could say it properly .  
 You could serve as our Editor in Chief , could we talk you into something like that ? 
 Submit a Resume and 5 reasons you'd like the job , we'll get back with you later after we consider all the other candidates that are chomping at the bit to be our Blog Police .  The Police Brutality power syndrome is taking hold in the blogging world , think you could handle a bludgeon ? , I could organize an "I can't breath" rally against your high-handed recklessness with our rights .
   I like the like the sound of "Comander Cizx" , has a nice ring to it .
  We might get something going here , sure it's way offfff topic but we need a bit of filler as jacal01 likes to point out , he's quite right .   

Tony in Michigan 

Dec 5, 2014 at 9:55 PM Post #4,044 of 9,484
Those concept serve as proper nouns.  Proper nouns are capitalized in English.  It's kind of like how theists capitalize god or gods.  I believe all nouns are capitalized in German... but I'm not sure about pronouns.

In the Adams-Jefferson letters, Adams always capitalizes; Jefferson never. But that doesn't tell us if the difference was regional, generational, or personal. They handled the long s differently too, much as the English and Scots varied.

It's probable that Adams handled the spelling and punctuation of the Declaration: Jefferson's "inalienable" in his handwritten drafts vs Adams' "unalienable" in the his handwritten draft and the parchment and print versions. Or just blame some anonymous Philadelphia typesetter.

Dec 5, 2014 at 9:56 PM Post #4,045 of 9,484

My dear Mr. Cizx , 

How do you pronounce Cizx ?  Sizzex ? or what ?  Catchy name if I could say it properly .  
 You could serve as our Editor in Chief , could we talk you into something like that ? 
 Submit a Resume and 5 reasons you'd like the job , we'll get back with you later after we consider all the other candidates that are chomping at the bit to be our Blog Police .  The Police Brutality power syndrome is taking hold in the blogging world , think you could handle a bludgeon ? , I could organize an "I can't breath" rally against your high-handed recklessness with our rights .
   I like the like the sound of "Comander Cizx" , has a nice ring to it .
  We might get something going here , sure it's way offfff topic but we need a bit of filler as jacal01 likes to point out , he's quite right .   

Tony in Michigan 

Dec 5, 2014 at 10:44 PM Post #4,046 of 9,484

Mr. Cizx ,

Very clever , you already get my nomination , mind if we add a couple more ? , the job entails a bit of Brute , if you know what i mean .  

Anyway , 6 for now , lets keep this civilized , if we can .

Tony in Michigan 

Dec 5, 2014 at 11:05 PM Post #4,047 of 9,484

Oh my dear Mr.6 ( hope you don't mind the nickname ) ,

Blow me over , we've found our word and structure man , right here in Schiit Heaven of all places !  Forget calling on Noam , he's too busy with the world's problems anyway .   

U da Man !!  I'll send you a bouquet of pencils after I meet you for a nice breakfast Taco . 

Boston , you say ? , where else could you fit in ? , one of my Alma maters is close by , the very land of Pointy headed Intellectuals .  

Thanks for sending over you're Baseball team to teach our Tigers how to win , I won about $9 Grand off that World series , I'll wear my Boston baseball Cap ( in your honor )  , our Natives still HATE Boston for that drubbing we got , that was over one year ago , they won't forget .  

Tony in Michigan 

ps. you don't teach Economics , do you ?  you are economical with words !  

Dec 5, 2014 at 11:51 PM Post #4,050 of 9,484
Is this the rag thread or an intro to English literature course

Users who are viewing this thread

Back