New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil
Oct 20, 2014 at 10:47 PM Post #3,421 of 9,484
  Thanks guys, I also have a pair of Nordost Heimdall XLR interconnects coming later this week, will post a few impressions after giving them some play time too.

I bet you could reeeeally feel the whomp of a didgeridoo with that setup :wink:

Oct 20, 2014 at 10:56 PM Post #3,422 of 9,484
  Dear wasmoh: 

Funny you should elect to support your Rag with those vibrapods/cones...Just last Sunday I looked them up at/on Audio Advisor to do just what you have them now doing, as soon as I receive my Rag, (still awaiting a shipping alert).  I was also considering the Pangea Mega Foot sorbothane supports as well, however, I am somewhat concerned about how the vinyl Vibrapod/cones and/or the sorbothane Mega Feet will handle the case temperatures of the Rag...if there appears to be any issue with the vinyl underneath or above the Rag, please let me know what happened...?...

Oh, and I am curious as to which particular Vibrapod "#" you selected, and if the choice was based on the weight of Rag or Rag/Auralic combination...?...I was thinking of purchasing the most firm, (#5) "pods"/cones with the larger metal spheres, the firmest "pods" due to the belief that because they can support more weight, they must be more dense, and therefor less prone to heat induced deformation...still wondering though if, on a particularly hot day, the vinyl or sorbothane might melt...

Peace/Namaste    

Oct 20, 2014 at 11:08 PM Post #3,423 of 9,484
  Dear wasmoh: 

Funny you should elect to support your Rag with those vibrapods/cones...Just last Sunday I looked them up at/on Audio Advisor to do just what you have them now doing, as soon as I receive my Rag, (still awaiting a shipping alert).  I was also considering the Pangea Mega Foot sorbothane supports as well, however, I am somewhat concerned about how the vinyl Vibrapod/cones and/or the sorbothane Mega Feet will handle the case temperatures of the Rag...if there appears to be any issue with the vinyl underneath or above the Rag, please let me know what happened...?...

Oh, and I am curious as to which particular Vibrapod "#" you selected, and if the choice was based on the weight of Rag or Rag/Auralic combination...?...I was thinking of purchasing the most firm, (#5) "pods"/cones with the larger metal spheres, the firmest "pods" due to the belief that because they can support more weight, they must be more dense, and therefor less prone to heat induced deformation...still wondering though if, on a particularly hot day, the vinyl or sorbothane might melt...

Peace/Namaste    

Synergist969, I am guessing you were asking me, not Wasmoh, since I posted the picture with the Vibrapods. I was concerned as well as the plastic pieces not being able to hold up to the heat, and maybe time will prove me wrong but the first week has been no problems at all. I think the important thing to know is that you can have the cone facing either up or down, so it is actually only contacting on the little metal tip on the end of the cone, so the heat is most likely dissipated through that.

As for which, I purchased, I ended up doing 3 model 1 vibrapods for the Auralic because it is light and 3 model 4's for the Ragnarok. If I did 4 for the Rag I would have purchased the model 3 one's because it weighs 32 pounds so that would have been within the range. Although I don't think it matters too much, they feel very sturdy and honestly they looked so similar the only way I could tell the difference was because of a little 4 that is written on the base. Since they all cost the same, may be best to just get all 5's, I figured there would be a size difference but they all looked the same to me.

Oct 20, 2014 at 11:38 PM Post #3,424 of 9,484
  Dear goldendarko:

Thanks for the heads-up, I must have incorrectly interpreted which name applied to which post within the post...  :)  ...

I think I will heed your advice and just go for the "#5's",+ cones, as I will use the supports in the spacer application more than as a vibration-control device...Oh, I am all too familiar with the point/tip away from the component approach, as I still possess/use a set of Michael Green clamp-racks for my stereo stack, and oh what a delight it is stabilize an Aragon 4004 amp on top of three point-down metal cones, the cone tips resting in "sister" metal discs with depressions for said cone tips...  So, THIS will be far easier...lol...

Peace/Namaste 

Oct 21, 2014 at 12:43 AM Post #3,425 of 9,484
The Vibrapods are different durometers, and work best when loaded correctlly, a bigger number is not better!  Compare the ride from an empty rental moving truck, to a full one - the suspension is tuned for a specific load....  same thing with the Pods.  

I'd keep an eye on the temperature as well....   

Oct 21, 2014 at 9:19 AM Post #3,426 of 9,484
  It took 4 separate 'improvements' for the usb data path to equal or better the cat7 data path.

One of those 'improvements' was adding a Wyrd between my Mac Pro and my PWD DAC.

The usb input to the PWD has been considered by some as a 'weak link'.
Not any more, and for the first time the usb data path is on par with, (and in some cases is superior to) the cat7 data path in terms of the audible results they both deliver.

I like it! :thumb

JJ

I found the Wyrd to be [comparatively] a MUCH bigger improvement than the cable upgrade was. Really amazing and totally unexpected at that. Not to wax eloquent but that 100 bucks was absolutely the best improvement (bang for the buck) in my little system by far. Combined with the gen2 USB upgrade on the Gungnir I would say is almost a must-have and very cost effective as well. IMHO of course... Sounds really good can't wait to see how it will sound with the rag in the chain. Although the Mjo sounds pretty darn good I must say...one thing that is so impressive is it pushes bass so deep tight and clean it's almost unbelievable. Estimate close to 1000 hours on the X now and they have really become something else. If the Ragnarok is a clear step up from the Mjo I will just be in aural heaven!

Oct 21, 2014 at 1:43 PM Post #3,427 of 9,484

The real question, in this thread, is whether or not Wyrd will be an upgrade to Yggdrasil.  I mean, for $100, it's probably worth a shot, but I will let someone else tell me they hear a difference first. :wink:

Oct 21, 2014 at 1:58 PM Post #3,428 of 9,484
The Wyrd works great to clean up a dirty USB signal.  I have one in my main system.  I wonder if Yggdrasil includes similar circuitry on its USB input?

Oct 21, 2014 at 7:31 PM Post #3,431 of 9,484
  hopefully they will built Wyrd's magic into a Gen 3 USB board and offer an upgrade for Bifrost and Gungnir, too.

That would be a neat deal there. However already having gotten the USB gen2 upgrade done on G, and a Wyrd, now looking for the Yggdrasil to be released into the wild. BUT still would be a sweet upgrade for sure. I would not have believed the improvement the Wyrd afforded if I had not heard it myself on my own setup. For whatever that's worth...

Oct 21, 2014 at 8:18 PM Post #3,432 of 9,484

That would be a neat deal there. However already having gotten the USB gen2 upgrade done on G, and a Wyrd, now looking for the Yggdrasil to be released into the wild. BUT still would be a sweet upgrade for sure. I would not have believed the improvement the Wyrd afforded if I had not heard it myself on my own setup. For whatever that's worth...

It may get a little bit complicated since what makes the Wyrd tick the boxes it does is partially due to the linear walwart it comes with. Incorporating it into a DAC may not be the best idea unless some serious power alteration occurs. Then, at that point, it's no longer a Wyrd, but just a better USB receiver implementation.

Oct 21, 2014 at 9:06 PM Post #3,433 of 9,484
Wyrd also reclocks USB data lines. There's a decent oscillator chip on the board. Best to think Wyrd as a USB source side (or in-between) component rather than USB receiver component. One of the things I found useful for Wyrd was running a 25ft USB cable to it from the laptop, and then a short one from the Wyrd to the DAC.

Oct 21, 2014 at 9:49 PM Post #3,434 of 9,484
Since the Wyrd is a separate 'box' it effectively keeps the noise coming from the 'source' (+5 volts and ground), completely out of the usb cable and the DAC it's plugged into. 

The re-clocking is a good thing as well but any DAC will also re-clock the incoming signal, and I would suspect that the adapticlock™©® circuitry does a marvelous job.  But by reducing the amount of 'extra noise' that comes in on the usb data lines still further, should also help.

Of course these design 'tricks' can be implemented inside any DAC but by having them external, means those pesky sources of noise never even show up in the first place, which just helps keep the noise floor as low as possible.

Of course it will be interesting to see if the Wyrd does make any change to the sound of the Jggy, just because.

JJ

Oct 21, 2014 at 10:06 PM Post #3,435 of 9,484
  Since the Wyrd is a separate 'box' it effectively keeps the noise coming from the 'source' (+5 volts and ground), completely out of the usb cable and the DAC it's plugged into. 

The re-clocking is a good thing as well but any DAC will also re-clock the incoming signal, and I would suspect that the adapticlock™©® circuitry does a marvelous job.  But by reducing the amount of 'extra noise' that comes in on the usb data lines still further, should also help.

I think the reclocking Purrin's talking about is different from the reclocking you're talking about.  I believe, and correct me if I'm wrong, that the Wyrd reclocks the raw USB data, whatever it may be, and the DAC deals with the data as audio data.  You can plug a webcam or a mouse or a hard drive into Wyrd, and that data transmission is still getting reclocked.

Then again, I don't really know what I'm talking about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back