New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil
Oct 24, 2014 at 2:13 PM Post #3,451 of 9,484
I know it's early, but I'd love to hear more Ragnarok listening impressions using different speakers. Yes, this is backwards, as one usually decides upon speakers before amplification, but this is a unique case. I'll be adding a set of bookshelf speakers to my headphone listening room once the new Schiit arrives. Thanks in advance...
YOu

Ascend Acoustics Sierra 2. RAAL tweeters offer sweet smooth treble. The company is schiit-like in their business philosophy and made in America.

Oct 24, 2014 at 3:20 PM Post #3,454 of 9,484
  I bet it would do well with the Mini Maggie system by Magnepan. I had their larger MMG model with about 200W of power, so the mini one should be perfect with Ragnarok for a desk setup.

Thanks for the suggestion. I've always been curious about the Minis.

My listening chair is somewhat below the shelf on which the speakers will be placed. My main concern stems from my own experience with MMGs, in which the "sweet spot" for the speakers was very focused and small. Not sure if that would hold true here.

Oct 24, 2014 at 3:22 PM Post #3,455 of 9,484
YOu

Ascend Acoustics Sierra 2. RAAL tweeters offer sweet smooth treble. The company is schiit-like in their business philosophy and made in America.

Thanks for this recommendation. I like the looks of these speakers and have added them to the list.

More on topic: still waiting for my shipping confirmation. The pain!

Oct 24, 2014 at 3:28 PM Post #3,456 of 9,484

Thanks for this recommendation. I like the looks of these speakers and have added them to the list.

More on topic: still waiting for my shipping confirmation. The pain!

I would also like to recommend these speakers: http://omegaloudspeakers.com/super3desktop.html

The company is basically just run by one guy, who makes everything by hand and is very particular about quality. I own a set of their Super Alnico Moniters and currently use those for my main rig and love their house sound. His prices are extremely fair and a great value. The fact that Ragnarok is so versatile means you can use it with efficient speakers like these and the Maggies.

As far as the placement goes, I believe (and I could be wrong), that the Mini Maggies should be on your computer desk and not elevated on a shelf for the best "sweet spot".

Oct 24, 2014 at 3:53 PM Post #3,457 of 9,484

I would also like to recommend these speakers: http://omegaloudspeakers.com/super3desktop.html

The company is basically just run by one guy, who makes everything by hand and is very particular about quality. I own a set of their Super Alnico Moniters and currently use those for my main rig and love their house sound. His prices are extremely fair and a great value. The fact that Ragnarok is so versatile means you can use it with efficient speakers like these and the Maggies.

The Omega 3s are already on my list. I like the fact that I'd also be able to drive them from my Eddie Current Super 7 without issue. Glad to see an endorsement for them here.

Thank you again!

Oct 24, 2014 at 4:13 PM Post #3,458 of 9,484

Yep, which is great for a current hungry speaker like Magnepans.

Actually, I asked Alex at Schiit about this, and he said that he would not choose Ragnarok for Magnepan 1.7s.  He suggested something with more power.

I have my 1.7s connected to an Emotiva XPA-2, which is 600 WPC.

Rag may be good for mini-Maggies, though.  When I get my amp in, I'll plug my MMG-Ws in just to see how they sound.  My current plan, though, is to sell all my Magnepans and get something more sensitive.  I'm looking forward to people's impressions of Rag with various speakers.

Oct 24, 2014 at 4:18 PM Post #3,459 of 9,484

Actually, I asked Alex at Schiit about this, and he said that he would not choose Ragnarok for Magnepan 1.7s.  He suggested something with more power.

I have my 1.7s connected to an Emotiva XPA-2, which is 600 WPC.

Rag may be good for mini-Maggies, though.  When I get my amp in, I'll plug my MMG-Ws in just to see how they sound.  My current plan, though, is to sell all my Magnepans and get something more sensitive.  I'm looking forward to people's impressions of Rag with various speakers.

Yeah, I meant use the Ragnarok for the Mini Maggies :)

When I had my full size Magnepans though, I ran my Mjolnir as a preamp to an Audio-GD Master 3 for 500W into the Magnepan's 4 ohm load. It was magical (and hard on my electric bill)

Oct 24, 2014 at 7:14 PM Post #3,460 of 9,484
YOu

I own the Sierra Towers with RAAL upgrade.  Absolutely love them.  The RAAL is the cleanest, most fatigue free tweeter I have ever heard by a wide margin and has the same delicate finesse and nuance as a good electrostat driver.

Oct 24, 2014 at 11:24 PM Post #3,461 of 9,484

Yeah, I meant use the Ragnarok for the Mini Maggies :)

When I had my full size Magnepans though, I ran my Mjolnir as a preamp to an Audio-GD Master 3 for 500W into the Magnepan's 4 ohm load. It was magical (and hard on my electric bill)

Oh, you should try my Krell Amp out, it dims the house lights when it is turned on, and my electric bill rises exponentially, maybe it's time to give Class D a try
wink_face.gif

Oct 25, 2014 at 12:00 AM Post #3,462 of 9,484

I own the Sierra Towers with RAAL upgrade.  Absolutely love them.  The RAAL is the cleanest, most fatigue free tweeter I have ever heard by a wide margin and has the same delicate finesse and nuance as a good electrostat driver.

I own the RAAL Towers as well (see avatar)
biggrin.gif
  Haven't heard the bookshelf version but I read that they are similar.  Really I don't think you can go wrong in the price range.  Everything made by the big names is made in china and uses cheaper components, big money on advertising bling/media hype and thin on specs.  I have never read of anyone not liking the Ascend Acoustics RAAL based offerings.  

Can't wait to hear these speakers with a Yggdrasil feeding them 
cool.gif

Oct 25, 2014 at 6:14 PM Post #3,463 of 9,484
  Oh, you should try my Krell Amp out, it dims the house lights when it is turned on, and my electric bill rises exponentially, maybe it's time to give Class D a try
wink_face.gif

I had the same thing with my Parasound HCA-2205.  That amp had insane power, and dimmed the lights and blew a few breakers!

Oct 26, 2014 at 5:21 PM Post #3,464 of 9,484
  Dear Cizx:

PLEASE do try driving those wall mounted MMG-W's with your "Rag"...I too am awaiting the Rag, and am very interested in hearing how it drives your Maggies, as I am seriously considering purchasing a pair of the floor standing versions...the MMG's or possibly the Super MMG's using an auxiliary amp for the base panel(s),...(this being an auxiliary system for voice/small acoustic ensemble music in a relatively small room)... 

So, please feel free to wax eloquent but honestly regarding how the Rag drives them...I would love to know if this would be a reasonably good match...  

Oct 26, 2014 at 5:41 PM Post #3,465 of 9,484

Sure thing.  I don't have a bass panel to pair with them, so they'll sound thin even with the best amp, but I'll let you know.

Also, if you're in the New England area, I'll sell you some 1.7s cheap. :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back