New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil
Sep 20, 2014 at 7:33 PM Post #2,881 of 9,484
Wow. Interesting review there Mr. Purrin. It is so refreshing to read someone say how they think about a piece of gear in -ahem- unambiguous terms. To say my interest is piqued in the Rag and the upcoming Ygg would be a serious understatement.  OR extremely interested in the Schiit statement amp and dac as it were...

Sep 20, 2014 at 8:32 PM Post #2,882 of 9,484
  Wow. Interesting review there Mr. Purrin. It is so refreshing to read someone say how they think about a piece of gear in -ahem- unambiguous terms. To say my interest is piqued in the Rag and the upcoming Ygg would be a serious understatement.  OR extremely interested in the Schiit statement amp and dac as it were...

I've never heard the GS-X - in either incarnation - and I dont have the patience for Justin's backorder queue, but I think its in the interests of a balanced discussion to point out that preproman isnt the first to disagree with purrin's POV on a given component. Hundreds, if not thousands, of endorsements from here and elsewhere for the GS-X and a single post outlining the amp's perceived weaknesses seems to have convinced you that it's a non-starter. Given that this is a thread about Schiit's statement gear, I won't belabor the point any further - like you, I very much look forward to the arrival of Yggdrasil and hope that Schiit can address the hum issue before Rag goes 'live'. 

Sep 20, 2014 at 8:43 PM Post #2,883 of 9,484
I think my question got out of hand...
eek.gif

Sep 20, 2014 at 8:53 PM Post #2,885 of 9,484

I've never heard the GS-X - in either incarnation - and I dont have the patience for Justin's backorder queue, but I think its in the interests of a balanced discussion to point out that preproman isnt the first to disagree with purrin's POV on a given component. Hundreds, if not thousands, of endorsements from here and elsewhere for the GS-X and a single post outlining the amp's perceived weaknesses seems to have convinced you that it's a non-starter. Given that this is a thread about Schiit's statement gear, I won't belabor the point any further - like you, I very much look forward to the arrival of Yggdrasil and hope that Schiit can address the hum issue before Rag goes 'live'. 

There are more reports of Rag running dead silent than with a hum. While it's early, it's yet to be established that Schiit has anything TO address before Rag goes live. 

Sep 20, 2014 at 8:54 PM Post #2,886 of 9,484
I heard GS-X several times (most recent one at CAS 5). GS-X is indeed very lean and aggressive, but I wouldn't say the treble is that aggressive. It is indeed a bit better than Questyle's headphone amplifier that was also demo'd at CAS 5, but both amps indeed have hot treble. I prefer relatively warm-sounding of my beta 22, but I guess there are plenty of people who like treble-focused sound.

That said, I'd rather not make any judgment until Rag arrives at the doorstep of my house.

Sep 20, 2014 at 8:55 PM Post #2,887 of 9,484

There are more reports of Rag running dead silent than with a hum. While it's early, it's yet to be established that Schiit has anything TO address before Rag goes live. 

As I said, this particular humming issue is very unusual because the reviewer says he hears when the amp is turned off. That should not happen, and most likely the amp is defective or something on power quality of his house is having problems.

Sep 20, 2014 at 9:32 PM Post #2,888 of 9,484
  I heard GS-X several times (most recent one at CAS 5). GS-X is indeed very lean and aggressive, but I wouldn't say the treble is that terrible to listen to. 

No - the GS-X treble is not terrible at all. But is it an issue, especially with the hotter cans.

I don't like lean sounding stuff and prefer the warmer and smoother sounding Beta 22 to the GSX2 as well. My other amp is a tube amp (actuall sharper in the treble compared to the Rag), so go figure. At least I'm putting down mileposts and descriptives so people can figure out their own priorities and calibrate accordingly.

In the context of TOTL, I'm not looking for TOTL. I'm looking for top two or maybe three - nothing less will suffice. I used to own an ECBA. I don't consider the BA with the EP transformers a top tube amp anymore. That's the way it goes. Every now and then, someone makes a breakthrough product.

But enough of the GSX2 nonsense. I really didn't even want to talk about it in such direct terms anyways.

Rag is true a game changer. I've preferred tubes (the non-syrupy implementations) for some time now. I've never really cared for solid-state in the past. However, the Rag is the only solid-state amp I that I have heard yet that I would pay good money for and keep. It doesn't sound like a tube amp, but it brings great solid-state qualities to the table while possessing a huge chuck of one important aspect of tubes: it's very seductive sounding. Not analytical. Not dry.

Zerodeefex mentioned his EC 2A3mk4. To me, the Rag is competitive with that amp. Different sound (not as different as you would think), but competitive. First time where I felt a SS amp was competitive with one of EC's top tier designs. Some things better. Some things less. Neither amp has sonic quality issues beyond what I would label "minor niggles" (even the best gear has niggles  - there is no such thing as perfect.)

But going back to the seductiveness thing, I fell asleep on the couch for five nights in row. Drooling, catching myself asleep. Trying to stay up. Ultimately, that's how I measure an amp.

Yes, Schiit has great marketing. But they have two guys who came from Sumo and Theta. Ever heard of them? I heard of them when I was in school, but I couldn't afford them. I don't think the Rag or the Mojo is the first time Jason tried to design a circlotron amp. I mean who would have been crazy enough to make an amp where a computer monitored and adjusted bias, DC offset, etc. This is almost like the F-16 jet where a computer needs to make tiny adjustments for it to fly straight because the design is inherently unstable

This entire amp project could have ended up in disaster. But it didn't. Go back a month or two, and you can read Jason at one point was considering throwing in the towel. Heck, Jason already knew that I didn't like the prototypes at the headphone shows. He still sent one to me. Every now and then, someone makes a breakthrough product. And for $1699 too. This thing is as good as some $10K monoblocks.

Sep 20, 2014 at 9:41 PM Post #2,889 of 9,484
Quote:Originally Posted by estreeter ... to point out that preproman isnt the first to disagree with purrin's POV on a given component. Funny how he sold his GS-X and hasn't heard the Rag.

Funny how people believe they can make accurate comparisons of amps and DACs they have heard months if not years apart.

You have opinions - nothing wrong with that. They are no more or less valid than anyone else's unless you're comparing the two devices at the same time with reasonable controls.

BTW, preproman provided a concise and reasonable statement on why he went a different direction. Did you miss it a few post up?

And before anyone misinterprets my comments as anti-Schitt, I intend to buy the Ygg if it delivers the anticipated performance as expected.

Sep 20, 2014 at 9:48 PM Post #2,890 of 9,484
And before anyone misinterprets my comments as a time-Schitt, I intend to buy the Ygg if it delivers the anticipated performance as expected.

I suspect that the DAC will draw a lot of interest from well beyond the confines of this forum and the backorder queue could keep Schiit very busy for months - more power to them. 

Sep 20, 2014 at 9:49 PM Post #2,891 of 9,484

Funny how he sold his GS-X and hasn't heard the Rag.

It's not funny at all.  I'll buy the Rag and most likely sell it as well - What's so funny about that?    I bought  and sold every amp I've had thus far.  The current ones and the future ones are no exception. 

What's really funny is how you seem to always give lopsided impressions of "certain" products.  

Hey man - If you don't like a certain amp, who I'am I to say other wise.  That's not the point here, you're entitled to your impressions just like everyone else is.  But to be so lopsided to the negative extreme of the spectrum is just plain hyperbole.  

"In the context of TOTL, I'm not looking for TOTL. I'm looking for top two or maybe three - nothing less will suffice"
Yet he owns a Mojo?  Yeah right..
cool.gif

Back to the Rag....

Sep 20, 2014 at 9:51 PM Post #2,892 of 9,484
Funny how people believe they can make accurate comparisons of amps and DACs they have heard months if not years apart.

I would agree with you if the two amps were close to warrant a head to head, but it wasn't. I had a GS-X mk2 on order - based on its reputation. Until I heard it.

Sep 20, 2014 at 10:02 PM Post #2,893 of 9,484

I would agree with you if the two amps were close to warrant a head to head, but it wasn't. I had a GS-X mk2 on order - based on its reputation. Until I heard it.

Again, that's your opinion though it's an outlyer. You're welcome to it but your level of hyperbole for what you like and what you don't is way over the top IMO.

Your dislike of the GSX is noted. Your recent infatuation with all things Schitt is, um, interesting.

Sep 20, 2014 at 10:07 PM Post #2,894 of 9,484
Again, that's your opinion though it's an outlyer. You're welcome to it but your level of hyperbole for what you like and what you don't is way over the top IMO.

Your dislike of the GSX is noted. Your recent infatuation with all things Schitt is, um, interesting.

He also has a similar dislike for the BHSE (which is much beloved by the mafia), not his cup of tea I suppose? I've had my GS-X for over 2+ years now and I've yet to hear something that would motivate me to change my position/ownership. There are several amps that he likes that I've thought were over rated too (ZDSE, LLMk1, Sonnet; among others), I guess that's this hobby? That said, I am surprised that I agree with him on the LL2. 
smile.gif
  I'd like to congratulate Jason and Schiit audio on the impending full release of the Ragnarok and Yggdrasil...I'll be keeping a keen eye on them. 

Sep 20, 2014 at 10:11 PM Post #2,895 of 9,484

Funny how he sold his GS-X and hasn't heard the Rag.

No argument - just pointing out that you dont shy away from the fact that your impressions dont always gel with popular opinion re a given component. I believe you made that clear at the beginning of your DAC thread, but it seems to have been lost on some of your acolytes. As I posted in the DAC thread, its unlikely that you are the Messiah, just a very naughty boy  :D

FWIW, no-one wants the Rag to be the best headphone amp under 5K more than I do, simply because it augurs very well for Yggdrasil - money tends to burn a hole in my pocket very rapidly and right now I just happen to have the projected asking price for Schiit's wunderkind DAC smouldering away merrily in my pants. Bring it on. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back