New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil
Aug 22, 2014 at 5:58 PM Post #2,672 of 9,484
  What I would love to see is a Master 9 vs Schiit Rag comparison.

Absolutely.  I already know who I am going to bug for one 
biggrin.gif

Aug 23, 2014 at 2:19 PM Post #2,673 of 9,484
Purchased a Mjolnir while I was waiting for the Ragnarok.  Really did not expect to keep the Mjolnir past release date for the Ragnarok. Using it with Mac Mini - > Gungnir -> Cary SLP 05 -> Mjolnir -> Audeze LCD 3 Fazor Version (balanced). The problem(?) is that the Mjolnir sounds fantastic in this set up.  When the Ragnarok goes public I will buy one just to see how it sounds but as I listen to Sonny Landreth - Elemental Journey while typing this, I am not sure if it will improve what I am listening to now. If it does my ears are in for a real treat.  All this and made in America -- a very good day.

Aug 23, 2014 at 3:37 PM Post #2,675 of 9,484
  Purchased a Mjolnir while I was waiting for the Ragnarok.  Really did not expect to keep the Mjolnir past release date for the Ragnarok. Using it with Mac Mini - > Gungnir -> Cary SLP 05 -> Mjolnir -> Audeze LCD 3 Fazor Version (balanced). The problem(?) is that the Mjolnir sounds fantastic in this set up.  When the Ragnarok goes public I will buy one just to see how it sounds but as I listen to Sonny Landreth - Elemental Journey while typing this, I am not sure if it will improve what I am listening to now. If it does my ears are in for a real treat.  All this and made in America -- a very good day.

Agree totally. Seems everyone loves to rag on the Mjolnir as being too "forward" or "aggressive" but been listening to the M/G stack with first the LCD2.2, then LCD3(c), now LCD-X, and hafta say that the amp and dac sound just beautiful. Good enough that I have just not been motivated AT ALL to seriously pursue getting some other equipment. Sure there is amps and dacs that likely do sound marginally better, but at a pretty serious cost. Weighing the marginal increase in SQ against ponying up several thousand more dinero right now just does not add up. Someday would like to look into doing so, but for now kind of hard to justify... Now I WOULD like to audition the LCD 3(f) to compare with my X remembering how sweetly seductive those mids were on my LCD3(c). BUT the X sounds so awesome that again it is kind of hard to get motivated to actually pursue trading in my X for the LCD 3(f). So I guess I am saying that this little setup I have now is very satisfying and have some other priorities like growing my business so what I have is good enough for now. Not exactly slummin' either.

Eagerly awaiting some reviews on the new Rag and Yg... Meanwhile the M/G stack just keep on getting the job done so nicely.

Aug 23, 2014 at 4:27 PM Post #2,677 of 9,484
Aug 23, 2014 at 4:43 PM Post #2,678 of 9,484
Very very good. The SLP 05  in a monoblock/speaker set up has a very open detailed signature.  If you take the balanced output of the SLP 05 and run it through a balanced headphone amp with low distortion and rapid response I think you end up  with a similar effect or at least is seem so to me.  The Mjolnir seems ideal for that task . Clean, clear, rapid, low distortion amp. It did exactly what I hoped for just better than expected and at an amazing price. I am impressed with the performance Schiit delivers per dollar.  

Aug 23, 2014 at 6:25 PM Post #2,679 of 9,484
Agree totally. Seems everyone loves to rag on the Mjolnir as being too "forward" or "aggressive" but been listening to the M/G stack with first the LCD2.2, then LCD3(c), now LCD-X, and hafta say that the amp and dac sound just beautiful. Good enough that I have just not been motivated AT ALL to seriously pursue getting some other equipment. Sure there is amps and dacs that likely do sound marginally better, but at a pretty serious cost. Weighing the marginal increase in SQ against ponying up several thousand more dinero right now just does not add up. Someday would like to look into doing so, but for now kind of hard to justify... Now I WOULD like to audition the LCD 3(f) to compare with my X remembering how sweetly seductive those mids were on my LCD3(c). BUT the X sounds so awesome that again it is kind of hard to get motivated to actually pursue trading in my X for the LCD 3(f). So I guess I am saying that this little setup I have now is very satisfying and have some other priorities like growing my business so what I have is good enough for now. Not exactly slummin' either.

Eagerly awaiting some reviews on the new Rag and Yg... Meanwhile the M/G stack just keep on getting the job done so nicely.

Most of those comments are from using them with HD800s. The LCDs are so laid back that they need that drive to sound interesting, which is why you are hearing a good combination.

Aug 23, 2014 at 6:31 PM Post #2,680 of 9,484

Most of those comments are from using them with HD800s. The LCDs are so laid back that they need that drive to sound interesting, which is why you are hearing a good combination.

I could see that as being valid. At any rate the LCDs sound really nice with the M/G so it's good! From reviews on the HD800 the M/G stack prolly would not be a good match for those phones.

Aug 23, 2014 at 9:41 PM Post #2,681 of 9,484
I could see that as being valid. At any rate the LCDs sound really nice with the M/G so it's good! From reviews on the HD800 the M/G stack prolly would not be a good match for those phones.

Love the M/G with anything Audez'e but the 800 does not work well, IMO. Looks like the Ragnarok was developed with the 800 in mind.

Aug 24, 2014 at 2:22 AM Post #2,684 of 9,484
  You're probably the first person ever to call the MJ warm.  But yes there are a handful of us who think the Gungnir is a poor match for the HD800s-especially combined with the MJ.

-Daniel

Hmm..well, this is in context to my HD600. With stock cables, the 600 was too syrupy lush to be enjoyable. DAC is the Uberfrost. Perhaps its the BIfrost that is warm? I don't really know but i definitely do not find the MJ aggressive or forward sounding. In fact, it may be slightly too smooth at times.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back