New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil
Jun 21, 2014 at 8:18 PM Post #2,223 of 9,484
  What's a filter?

Nevermind... if I keep asking questions about all of this technical stuff, this whole thread will turn into an introductory course on electronics.

In REALLY simple terms, caps let AC pass, that is, a contently changing voltage signal like a sin wave, and blocks DC, a constant signal. However, caps have a speed limit, that is, if the said AC signal's frequency is to high and there is a load after the cap, it won't be able to catch up with the input signal to feed the load as it has a limited charging speed and discharge speed (time constant). This speed limit tend to "smooth" rough variations of voltage on the cap.

So here I gave two really simple examples where a capacitor can act as a DC FILTER (blocking DC) and as a LOW-PASS filter, blocking high frequencies.

Jun 22, 2014 at 1:22 AM Post #2,224 of 9,484
Eh?? A capacitor acting as a low pass filter?! That's a first, can you paste a link with an example circuit?

Mind you I'm no EE but I've worked on passive crossovers for multi-way speakers. From that, my understanding is thay a capacitor is a high pass component (it filters DC and some LF content too, the capacitance defining the roll-off frequency) while an inductor is a low pass filter. The electrical impedance (1/jCw, jLw) also suggests so. What am I missing here?

Edit: and that is why I was right never getting into EE as an RC filter can be made to either low pass or high pass per my friend wikipedia :wink:.

Jun 22, 2014 at 1:51 AM Post #2,225 of 9,484
Just stick the cap in parallel with the load and voila, low-pass filter:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Low-pass_filter#Passive_electronic_realization

Jun 22, 2014 at 2:10 AM Post #2,226 of 9,484
Sorry I am new to schitt products but why are there 149 pages when the product has not even been reviewed by any users yet? Do they have a good track record with past products? I am mostly interested in the Ygg because I am looking for a DAC for my 2 channel set up. Emailed them and no reply. Called them and no answer.

So bad cust service+ product not even owned by anyone but 149 pages. Hmmm interesting.

Jun 22, 2014 at 2:14 AM Post #2,227 of 9,484
Sorry I am new to schitt products but why are there 149 pages when the product has not even been reviewed by any users yet? Do they have a good track record with past products? I am mostly interested in the Ygg because I am looking for a DAC for my 2 channel set up. Emailed them and no reply. Called them and no answer.

So bad cust service+ product not even owned by anyone but 149 pages. Hmmm interesting.

It hasn't been released yet.

Jun 22, 2014 at 3:07 AM Post #2,228 of 9,484
SearchOfSub said:
."why are there 149 pages when the product has not even been reviewed by any users yet?

47045042.jpg

But seriously, Schiit is trying to make sure everything is tip top before releasing.

Jun 22, 2014 at 4:42 AM Post #2,229 of 9,484
Please read this preliminary information including the small and important notices on the top and bottom
you will understand :wink:
if not, nevermind, you are not part of the target group

Jun 22, 2014 at 5:25 AM Post #2,230 of 9,484
I'm happy they said this:

We can say these are the highest-end products we expect to develop - there will be no "super statements" coming. so sit back, relax, and enjoy what you're listening to.

Jun 22, 2014 at 10:02 AM Post #2,232 of 9,484
They'll most likely be upgradeable, given Schiit's corporate philosophy, but at least we'll know they they'll never be one-upped by a higher end model

That said, "Odin" and "Thor" have yet to grace the front of any Schiit products.....:wink:

Jun 22, 2014 at 11:33 AM Post #2,234 of 9,484
I sure would love a crossover, thinking of having to route a beautiful signal from, say, an Ygg, through some cheap DSP's cheap ADCs and DACs and other cheap cheapstuff makes me feel like it really should be replaced with some nicer schiit.

Jun 22, 2014 at 11:53 AM Post #2,235 of 9,484
Or better yet, an active crossover feeding two (or three) Yggs, then into a pair of Rags before hitting the speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back