New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil
Jun 7, 2014 at 2:51 PM Post #2,026 of 9,484
  I'm curious, in which situation would it shift into a different class?

I would think only in situation of some inefficient orthodynamic headphones on max volume level.

Jun 7, 2014 at 2:53 PM Post #2,027 of 9,484
There are people that have listened to it. (The Rag). I'm not one of them. I'd rather hear about it and any meaningful info regarding it than people bickering about pricing of other gear versus value. :)

To each his own.  Here's the only actual review I've seen so far. in case you missed it:  http://www.head-fi.org/t/667711/new-schiit-ragnarok-and-yggdrasil/1680#post_10525684  And please note it is of a pre-release model, so no one outside of Schiit knows what the actual release model will sound like yet.    And they may not have one either.  :)

Jun 7, 2014 at 3:01 PM Post #2,029 of 9,484
  I don't think anyone outside of Schiit knows yet.

My assumption is the amplifier will have a current sensing system whenever you plug up a headphone to it, either efficient or inefficient, it will switch its output stage.

Jun 7, 2014 at 3:04 PM Post #2,030 of 9,484
  My assumption is the amplifier will have a current sensing system whenever you plug up a headphone to it, either efficient or inefficient, it will switch its output stage.

Is that specifically listed in the pre-release specs?  All we can assume is what we've been told.  Anything else is speculation and may or may not have any meaning at all. 

Jun 7, 2014 at 3:07 PM Post #2,031 of 9,484
  Is that specifically listed in the pre-release specs?  All we can assume is what we've been told.  Anything else is speculation and may or may not have any meaning at all. 

Definitely not listed in the pre-release specs, but I swear I could've seen this feature mentioned somewhere. Regardless, it is speculation.

Jun 7, 2014 at 3:27 PM Post #2,032 of 9,484
There was speculation on how it was achieved. I believe Barry threw out the idea of separate voltage and current gain stages,
but Jason never clarified. 

Jun 7, 2014 at 3:46 PM Post #2,033 of 9,484
The sensing is accomplished via little magical gnomes, who have proven highly adept at such calculations and measurements on the fly. The fairies on the other hand are the ones who provide the power. They don't like being strapped down to those heatsinks though... (well, some do, but we won't talk about that on a public forum)

Jun 7, 2014 at 4:46 PM Post #2,034 of 9,484
  This is pretty much what's wrong with Head-Fi today. No, you haven't heard it, but you don't like the way it looks so whether it sounds good or not is irrelevant.

I agree it is a silly looking piece of kit. But I've heard it in non-meet conditions, and I can attest that the sound is pretty amazing. There is a bit of over-hype happening in the Chord Hugo thread, but there are also plenty of established Head-Fiers over there discussing the product's merits. Oh, and they've heard it. 

You are entitled to your opinions of course but implying that my statement is somehow proof that the Forum as a whole has been hijacked by subjectivistic morons is wide off the mark. If anything, I put myself on the objectivistic camp.

And I must say that you misunderstood my observation with regard to the "bling" aspect. Whether or not I like it is a moot point.

The real issue is that with Chord gear -and many others alike- a very sizeable chunk of the price tag is somehow justified by the cosmetic and build aspects, regardless of the all important Audio performance. I have no problem accepting that it may sound great, but so will competing products at a fraction of its price. Such a high price tag for a product of its type is simply ridiculous and in my view, indefensible.

Best,

Leonel

Jun 7, 2014 at 5:03 PM Post #2,035 of 9,484
  IMO, when some people trash-talk gear they haven't heard it's because the price is more than they could afford.  So it's automatically "over priced" or "not worth it" or "product X costs half as much!" because they are jealous.  They can't afford it, they wish they could, so it's not worth the price and those who CAN afford it are fools for wasting their money.  It's one of the sillier things that happens on audio forums.  If you can't afford something, there is nothing wrong with that and it's no reason to snipe at those who can.  I can't afford to buy Burmester amps.  But I'd love to try them and I don't slag those who can, I admire them.

I think you are merely projecting your own views on how you feel about what you can and cannot afford. Your statement about the Burmester amps says it all. Burmester, Chord, MBL, etc, represent what's wrong with the so called High-End. Audio-Bling for those with more money than sense! But of course you admire them, don't you? Believe me, I wouldn't touch any of those with a barge pole if I had a chance, let alone if I won the Lottery!

Jun 7, 2014 at 7:00 PM Post #2,036 of 9,484

I think you are merely projecting your own views on how you feel about what you can and cannot afford.

Aren't you doing the exact same thing?

Jun 7, 2014 at 7:43 PM Post #2,037 of 9,484

Aren't you doing the exact same thing?

How so? I have stated very clearly and will do so again: I do not care for ridiculously over priced Audio-Bling and I never will, regardless of my financial capacity. Chord, Burmester. MBL and many others that I cannot be bothered to mention, do not represent the State-of-the-Art in Audio engineering, no matter how much their fans want to believe it . They cater for deep-pocketed Audio ignorants and for those that aspire to be like them and indeed admire them!

Just enjoy the music! 
o2smile.gif

Jun 7, 2014 at 8:03 PM Post #2,038 of 9,484

How so? I have stated very clearly and will do so again: I do not care for ridiculously over priced Audio-Bling and I never will, regardless of my financial capacity. Chord, Burmester. MBL and many others that I cannot be bothered to mention, do not represent the State-of-the-Art in Audio engineering, no matter how much their fans want to believe it . They cater for deep-pocketed Audio ignorants and for those that aspire to be like them and indeed admire them!

Just enjoy the music! 
o2smile.gif

Actually, the Hugo is state of the art. Its designer is active on this site. You should read about it before dismissing it as bling. And you really shouldn't call people Audio Ignorants while spewing ignorant comments yourself. 

Jun 7, 2014 at 8:11 PM Post #2,039 of 9,484
  Actually, the Hugo is state of the art. Its designer is active on this site. You should read about it before dismissing it as bling. And you really shouldn't call people Audio Ignorants while spewing ignorant comments yourself. 

I see... So, based in your logic, the fact that the designer is active on this site effectively validates your assertion that the Hugo is State of the Art? Is that because he says so? Are you that naïve? Or do you have a vested interested on Chord? Hmmm...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back