New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil
Apr 27, 2014 at 7:06 AM Post #1,531 of 9,484

You certainly may :D

Jetlive have the Taurus at 45K baht atm, per their website:

http://www.jetliveaudio.com/index.php?mo=29&keyword=Auralic

I'll be using the usual 'Sir, what's the cash price on this combination ?' negotiation technique, but from where I'm sitting that looks like a very good price for the Taurus. 

hmmm, that's a very nice price. can someone tell me if there are different voltage models, or a single model that does 110/220V...i know thailand uses 220V...

Apr 27, 2014 at 7:17 AM Post #1,532 of 9,484
  hmmm, that's a very nice price. can someone tell me if there are different voltage models, or a single model that does 110/220V...i know thailand uses 220V...

I really wish ALL electronic products these days would be 110-240V compatible. Just look at computers and laptop PSU's. It can be done.

It's a global world and while changing the main grid of a country may be too late we can at least make sure that all products work everywhere.

Apr 27, 2014 at 9:45 AM Post #1,533 of 9,484
I really wish ALL electronic products these days would be 110-240V compatible. Just look at computers and laptop PSU's. It can be done.

It's a global world and while changing the main grid of a country may be too late we can at least make sure that all products work everywhere.

Haha not quite as easy to do that on audio equipment unless you're using switchers which is frowned upon by most audiophiles. In a switcher it's pretty easy to have universal power support. In a linear supply like most of our audio equipment it requires adding an additional primary on the transformer

Apr 27, 2014 at 9:52 AM Post #1,534 of 9,484
In Thailand, some Asian product prices are pretty good, predictably. Not crazy cheap, but comparable to what you'd find in the US.

For certain things which include Schiit products, Singaporean distributors sell to Thai dealers at silly prices while they can actually get taxes back when they re-export the goods. I suspect it's the same between Singapore and Malaysia. It's crazy that a city state is a main distributor to populations something like 20x larger. I know we probably look like crazy pants-less-3rd-world-swinging-between-trees backwards but Fed-Ex delivers here from the US too, so i don't see the reason for going through the middle-man who does precisely nothing. May be i'm not clued up on international distribution enough to understand...

As for voltages, is multiple voltages really a bad thing for sq? I see Oppo uses that on their player and i think Benchmark also. If it is, may be make it "configurable" like on the Fostex DAC/Amp? (Remove cover, unplug and re-plug wires.)

Apr 27, 2014 at 10:58 AM Post #1,535 of 9,484
Haha not quite as easy to do that on audio equipment unless you're using switchers which is frowned upon by most audiophiles. In a switcher it's pretty easy to have universal power support. In a linear supply like most of our audio equipment it requires adding an additional primary on the transformer

It's easy peasy. Many many power transformers are available with dual primaries. They're wired in parallel for 110 and series for 220. IEC inlets can be had with built-in switches for voltage selection. Some manufacturers though want to avoid user-selectable mains voltage though because plugging a piece of gear set for 110 into a 220 outlet can be potentially disastrous.

se

Apr 27, 2014 at 11:00 AM Post #1,536 of 9,484
It's easy peasy. Many many power transformers are available with dual primaries. They're wired in parallel for 110 and series for 220. IEC inlets can be had with built-in switches for voltage selection. Some manufacturers though want to avoid user-selectable mains voltage though because plugging a piece of gear set for 110 into a 220 outlet can be potentially disastrous.

se

haha i guess it did come across that i was saying it would be  "hard" to make a dual primary transformer. My main intent was to point out the difference in a laptop power supply and the ones in our equipment.

thanks for the clarification steve! 
beerchug.gif

Apr 27, 2014 at 11:10 AM Post #1,537 of 9,484
haha i guess it did come across that i was saying it would be  "hard" to make a dual primary transformer. My main intent was to point out the difference in a laptop power supply and the ones in our equipment.

thanks for the clarification steve! :beerchug:

Yeah, the switchers are nice in that you can plug them I to just about anything and maintain the proper output voltage. But as you say, many audiophiles frown on them. However they're especially great if you also want to cover Japan with their 100 volt mains. That doesn't sound like its a big difference from 110, but it can be enough that voltage regulators can drop out and stop regulating.

se

Apr 27, 2014 at 3:55 PM Post #1,538 of 9,484

If you really, really want to hear some unquotable stuff from Mike, ask him about switching supplies or Class-D amps. Or, better yet, have him show you the output on a scope. 

With respect to transformers, yep, all of our stuff is dual-primary (so, either 115 or 230 compatible), hard-wired in the chassis to avoid someone switching the setting to "see what it does." Though that's less of a problem in other countries than the US, which constantly amazes me with respect to its lack or awareness of the standard AC voltage. We once received an email from a relatively high-level person in the US Department of Energy asking if they should order 115V or 230V. It is framed on my wall.

With respect to Japan, yep, 100V is a different thing, either requiring more primary taps than we have pins for (in PC-mount transformers), or separate transformers. I expect we'll have 100V products with dedicated 100V-only transformers this year; we're getting to the point where we can do special runs.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Apr 27, 2014 at 4:25 PM Post #1,539 of 9,484

If you really, really want to hear some unquotable stuff from Mike, ask him about switching supplies or Class-D amps. Or, better yet, have him show you the output on a scope. 

With respect to transformers, yep, all of our stuff is dual-primary (so, either 115 or 230 compatible), hard-wired in the chassis to avoid someone switching the setting to "see what it does." Though that's less of a problem in other countries than the US, which constantly amazes me with respect to its lack or awareness of the standard AC voltage. We once received an email from a relatively high-level person in the US Department of Energy asking if they should order 115V or 230V. It is framed on my wall.

With respect to Japan, yep, 100V is a different thing, either requiring more primary taps than we have pins for (in PC-mount transformers), or separate transformers. I expect we'll have 100V products with dedicated 100V-only transformers this year; we're getting to the point where we can do special runs.

Can it be switched internally by someone who knows how to hold a screwdriver and/or soldering iron? Would be good to know since some users like being able to buy US products while living in Europe, or vice versa. Heck - some users have homes in both Europe and the US and need products that can do both.

Apr 27, 2014 at 4:55 PM Post #1,540 of 9,484

Can it be switched internally by someone who knows how to hold a screwdriver and/or soldering iron? Would be good to know since some users like being able to buy US products while living in Europe, or vice versa. Heck - some users have homes in both Europe and the US and need products that can do both.

Due to the litigious nature of the USA, we cannot even hint that you can open up any 115V or 230V AC products. It invalidates the "no user serviceable parts inside" disclaimer.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Apr 27, 2014 at 5:00 PM Post #1,541 of 9,484
Didn't think about that, the US justice system is out of control... what a shame. But thanks for replying nonetheless.

Apr 27, 2014 at 6:44 PM Post #1,543 of 9,484
Hi Jason

when can we expect review/impression from Jude, I am very eager regarding impression as it has been a long wait.

Apr 27, 2014 at 6:45 PM Post #1,544 of 9,484
^ shouldn't you ask Jude :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back