New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil
Jan 9, 2018 at 9:09 AM Post #9,437 of 9,484
My post about power cords is not opinion nor is it a belief. I am an electrical engineer. Power conductors work the way I posted. The beliefs stated above are not scientifically sound.

Jan 15, 2018 at 12:05 PM Post #9,440 of 9,484
Hi, I have a question about the power cord for the Yggdrasil. Are you still using the stock power cord or did you find the unit only delivered its "magic" fully after you changed the cord (if you did that, of course)?
And if you did not, I'm still interested at what point in time you believe the unit reached its full run-in (as in, a week or a month). Thanks.

This started all the talk about power cords. Schitt's position is very clear on this topic. In their user manual, it says, 'Plug the end of the supplied IEC cord in here. You can also use fancy audiophile types but they won't really do anything'.

Yggdrasil and Ragnarok is lovely sounding setup. You don't need to change power cord or fuse. It won't do anything .... unless you believe that it will.

Jan 21, 2018 at 9:23 AM Post #9,443 of 9,484
This started all the talk about power cords. Schitt's position is very clear on this topic. In their user manual, it says, 'Plug the end of the supplied IEC cord in here. You can also use fancy audiophile types but they won't really do anything'.

Yggdrasil and Ragnarok is lovely sounding setup. You don't need to change power cord or fuse. It won't do anything .... unless you believe that it will.

The power of belief! So, THAT'S what's driving all these cable manufacturer's sales. The stock cord is as good as Nordost Tyr or Frey, they say? So, I'm hallucinating, and Carnegie Hall's famously different right and left walls (which all of us who attended Carnegie, lo 40 years ago, know sound different) aren't more audibly different with either those two in the system? Ack! No more green tea for me!!!!
I'll have to seance with my old buddy, Harry Pearson, and tell him Schiit says...!!!

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2018 at 11:07 AM Post #9,444 of 9,484
I'm wondering if anyone has hooked up an SACD player to their Yggdrasil-Ragnarok setup? I've got an opportunity to get a good SACD player pretty reasonable. My question is this...Is it possible to hook up the the player to the Yggy to play redbook cd's and also use the SACD player's DAC to play SACD discs through the Ragnarok? This player also can play DSD files through use of USB flash drives or similar input devices outside a computer or NAS drive.

Any thoughts or ideas...is this even feasible?

Thanks

Feb 28, 2018 at 11:22 AM Post #9,445 of 9,484
I'm wondering if anyone has hooked up an SACD player to their Yggdrasil-Ragnarok setup? I've got an opportunity to get a good SACD player pretty reasonable. My question is this...Is it possible to hook up the the player to the Yggy to play redbook cd's and also use the SACD player's DAC to play SACD discs through the Ragnarok? This player also can play DSD files through use of USB flash drives or similar input devices outside a computer or NAS drive.

Thanks
Yes, that should be possible because couple of CD players that I have used with Yggy, they have both digital and analog outs on all the time so, I do not see any issue with you implementing this.

Feb 28, 2018 at 1:30 PM Post #9,446 of 9,484

Thanks

As long as the SACD player has a digital output preferably coax IMO. Red book would go through the digital output to your Yggdrasil and the analog ouputs of the SACD player into the Ragnarok. I thought about doing this but got a Cambridge CXC dedicated red book transport instead. Some believe that it will do better with red book than the digital out of a most CD players. However if my budget was enough for the OPPO UDP-205 the I would have gotten it instead and done what you are planning to do. After reading and discussions I believe the Oppo 205 is also an excellent red book transport.

Feb 28, 2018 at 2:26 PM Post #9,447 of 9,484

Thanks

Just to make it clear, you generally will not get SACD digital out of any player. I think PSAudio had a system that they paid licensing fees to Sony to get the digital out between their transport and DAC.
Generally you have to use the DAC of the player and get analog out or you have standard CD digital out (Redbook).

LEt me know if you find away around this but from what i understand, Sony locked the digital out, so you can't get the SACD out

Users who are viewing this thread

Back