New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil
Apr 25, 2016 at 9:55 AM Post #9,121 of 9,484
Help. My new Yggy just arrived and I've not been able to get my computer recognizing the driver as a playback device. I was using an amazon usb cable, but was unable to install the driver onto the computer with it. So I used a no brand cable which did the trick. However, the computer just wouldn't recognize the Yggy as a playback source

I am not using Windows, but I have no issues with the Amazon Basics USB 2.0 cable, 2 meter length.

Definitely contact Schiit for support. And try through a powered USB hub if you have one lying around - I think it'll be one of their recommendations to try based on issues I have read from other users and other Schiit DACs.

Apr 25, 2016 at 12:01 PM Post #9,123 of 9,484
just an update, i managed to get it working on another computer. i guess my MSI laptop which has USB 3.0 ports are unable to read USB 2.0... 

so i had to switch my plans then... moving the yiggy and Oppo HA-1 out to the main computer and switching my Quad Vena and Dali Zensor speakers to my bedroom :D

first impressions, much expanded soundstage and better resolution, bass seems to hit harder, compared to the Oppo HA-1 DAC. now i can't wait for the Moon Neo 430HA to come

Apr 25, 2016 at 3:55 PM Post #9,124 of 9,484
  just an update, i managed to get it working on another computer. i guess my MSI laptop which has USB 3.0 ports are unable to read USB 2.0... 

so i had to switch my plans then... moving the yiggy and Oppo HA-1 out to the main computer and switching my Quad Vena and Dali Zensor speakers to my bedroom :D

first impressions, much expanded soundstage and better resolution, bass seems to hit harder, compared to the Oppo HA-1 DAC. now i can't wait for the Moon Neo 430HA to come

I get issues using USB2.0 devices on USB3.0 ports a lot. Keyboard, mouse, etc have all acted up. Plugin to USB2.0 and no issues. Pretty weird.

Apr 27, 2016 at 8:35 PM Post #9,125 of 9,484
New to the thread but wanted to add my initial impression of the Yggy I've had for 2 weeks now. Set up and turn-on was a breeze. At first blush everything sounded great out of the box. Using Roon, the hi-res file glowed and I relished the sound. The next tune was redbook cd and harsh as can be. Tried many different files with the same results. I switched to balanced cables to the speakers and all was right with the sound.

Sitting at my desk today listening, I may have experienced the audible change in a piece of equipment I'd been burning. The whole sound seem to change from one moment to the next. The bass tightened and the mid range just flowed. The change was noticeable.

I'm in love with this DAC. The sound through the Adam A5X with Adam Sub 8 is turning out NICE! Well, now I see that the Yggy needs a better mate than powered speakers so I'm going to order the Ragnarok which now means new speakers. My set up is very desk centered with no room for stands so I need literally a good desk top speaker. Based on reviews and the threads here, the KEF LS50 or Audience 1+1 seem like good mates. Any other thoughts?

Looking forward to listening to the Ragnarok. From the thread it sounds like the LCD Xes will sound spectacular.

Thanks

Apr 27, 2016 at 8:49 PM Post #9,126 of 9,484
  I'm in love with this DAC. The sound through the Adam A5X with Adam Sub 8 is turning out NICE! Well, now I see that the Yggy needs a better mate than powered speakers so I'm going to order the Ragnarok which now means new speakers. My set up is very desk centered with no room for stands so I need literally a good desk top speaker. Based on reviews and the threads here, the KEF LS50 or Audience 1+1 seem like good mates. Any other thoughts?

KEF is the bomb.

Apr 27, 2016 at 8:49 PM Post #9,127 of 9,484
  Well, now I see that the Yggy needs a better mate than powered speakers so I'm going to order the Ragnarok which now means new speakers. My set up is very desk centered with no room for stands so I need literally a good desk top speaker. Based on reviews and the threads here, the KEF LS50 or Audience 1+1 seem like good mates. Any other thoughts?

Looking forward to listening to the Ragnarok. From the thread it sounds like the LCD Xes will sound spectacular.

Thanks

I have a pair of Wharfedale Denton 80th Anniversary speakers connected to my Ragnarok(set on the highest gain) / Gumby setup... very happy with it all. I have the speakers wall mounted at ear level and approx. 6 ft apart. I realize it is not the optimum placement for the speakers, but it is all I can do to have speakers in the area I have my gear.

whatever choice you make, as long as your speakers are 4 ohm or greater impedance you will be fine...

Apr 27, 2016 at 9:52 PM Post #9,128 of 9,484
  Dear BagelJoe:

An "Yggy"/"Rag" owner here, and using their line-level outputs to feed my "serious" stereo system, as well as a few really nice headphones via "Rag's" headphone amp...and as I just read your post:

I am responding because I am very curious regarding your experience/perception of the Adam A5X's...as well as if you have heard the Audience 1+1's in person....(I have been following the 1+1's for more than a year now, and continue debating whether to pull that trigger...)...I own and use a little pair of Audio Engine A2's as portable speakers when traveling, and have wondered if the Adam A5X's would be worth the expense as a more "robust" pair of portable speakers, with or without a sub...(currently use a Schiit Audio Modi to feed the little A2's a signal...), though I have also entertained the idea of purchasing the tiny little 9in cube Velodyne sub with a 6 inch active driver and a  pair of passive drivers to go with those Audio Engine A2 speakers...

Out of curiosity as well, just how many hours elapsed before your "Yggy" really came into its own...and was it that jaw-dropping experience that many of the rest of us experienced when it occurred...for me, it was 6 or 7 days into the "warm-up" period...(thermal equilibrium really...)

Please feel free to tell us what you like or did not like regarding those AX5's, with or without the Sub  8 in the picture...as well as should you obtain those little gems, (the Audience 1+1's), what you think...so long as one does not expect room rattling bass, the professional reviewers have raved about the openness and naturalness of the 1+1's...and I would LOVE to have my "Rag" drive them as an alternative/second room system to complement my "serious" system, (and not have to turn on all that additional equipment to hear music when I must move around and not be tethered by headphone cords)...

so, I'm all ears  

Apr 28, 2016 at 12:01 AM Post #9,129 of 9,484
I've been running the Yggy for the last 7 days about 10 hours or so a day. Listening while at the desk a couple hours each day so I have to think it was at about 100 hours that it just changed, at least to my ears. As I stated, it just got tight-sounded so right. 

I've liked the Adams since I got them about 2 years ago. I was running the Wyred4Sound DAC2 DSD se into the Adams A5X's and was more than pleased. My other and older DAC crapped out so I headed to the forums and the Yggdrasil just jumped out as I've got a Lyr2 and was drawn to Schiit from passed experience. As soon as I got the Yggy running I could feel it was something special and that the speakers needed more grip than was available from their on-board amps. Adding the sub filled out the sound of the A5X that I felt was lacking in the bottom end. 

Adding the Ragnarok means new speakers and I'll have to check that out now. Not sure if I'll be able to audition the 1+1's or not. But in this area of my desk top system I'm not as concerned about the perfect sound as I am with the more serious kit I've got downstairs and can chance the the 1+1 or the KEF would be perfectly fine and more than stoke the habit.

I've had Audioengine speakers in the past and they were just fine for me until I started the upgrade path. Not much of a portable guy so I don't shlep speakers et al around. I'm sure you're aware that the A5X is not portable by any stretch of imagination.

Now just need to start the task of ordering, waiting, chomping at the bit...etc...etc...

Apr 28, 2016 at 6:47 AM Post #9,130 of 9,484
  I've been running the Yggy for the last 7 days about 10 hours or so a day. Listening while at the desk a couple hours each day so I have to think it was at about 100 hours that it just changed, at least to my ears. As I stated, it just got tight-sounded so right. 

I've liked the Adams since I got them about 2 years ago. I was running the Wyred4Sound DAC2 DSD se into the Adams A5X's and was more than pleased. My other and older DAC crapped out so I headed to the forums and the Yggdrasil just jumped out as I've got a Lyr2 and was drawn to Schiit from passed experience. As soon as I got the Yggy running I could feel it was something special and that the speakers needed more grip than was available from their on-board amps. Adding the sub filled out the sound of the A5X that I felt was lacking in the bottom end. 

Adding the Ragnarok means new speakers and I'll have to check that out now. Not sure if I'll be able to audition the 1+1's or not. But in this area of my desk top system I'm not as concerned about the perfect sound as I am with the more serious kit I've got downstairs and can chance the the 1+1 or the KEF would be perfectly fine and more than stoke the habit.

I've had Audioengine speakers in the past and they were just fine for me until I started the upgrade path. Not much of a portable guy so I don't shlep speakers et al around. I'm sure you're aware that the A5X is not portable by any stretch of imagination.

Not just need to start the task of ordering, waiting, chomping at the bit...etc...etc...

You should leave Yggy on 24/7, and the same goes for all Schiit DACs. It will breakin faster and sound better. The designer , Mike Moffet recommended this in one of our threads.

Apr 28, 2016 at 6:57 PM Post #9,133 of 9,484
  The Stereophile Ragnarok review is now online.

http://www.stereophile.com/content/schiit-audio-ragnarok-integrated-amplifier

Thank you for posting the link.

Apr 28, 2016 at 7:21 PM Post #9,134 of 9,484
  New to the thread but wanted to add my initial impression of the Yggy I've had for 2 weeks now. Set up and turn-on was a breeze. At first blush everything sounded great out of the box. Using Roon, the hi-res file glowed and I relished the sound. The next tune was redbook cd and harsh as can be. Tried many different files with the same results. I switched to balanced cables to the speakers and all was right with the sound.

Sitting at my desk today listening, I may have experienced the audible change in a piece of equipment I'd been burning. The whole sound seem to change from one moment to the next. The bass tightened and the mid range just flowed. The change was noticeable.

Thanks

Have you considered keeping the same route of active speakers but with the Neumann KH 120 A instead (maybe with the KH 805 subwoofer)?

Apr 28, 2016 at 8:03 PM Post #9,135 of 9,484

Schiit Tech texted me earlier this month that "As for the Ragnarok with powered speakers, it would be underutilizing the Ragnarok in that case."

That was my reasoning for looking at KEF LS50 et al.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back