New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil
May 15, 2015 at 8:08 PM Post #7,531 of 9,484
Yes.  From the Yggdrasil manual (bolding is mine):

Schiit Audio warrants to the original purchaser that the product shall be free from defects in material and workmanship for five (5) years from the date of purchase.

May 15, 2015 at 8:09 PM Post #7,532 of 9,484
Unless there is something different with the Ygg, I seem to recall that the Schiit warranty is for the original purchaser only

schiit warranty does only cover the original purchaser.

here is there policy: http://schiit.com/faq/warranty-returns

May 15, 2015 at 8:46 PM Post #7,533 of 9,484
Ok, My friend with the Yggy who already got a small improvement by shorting two of the digital inputs just did another test.  He was using a home made interconnect that had a Furutech RCA on it.  He removed the Furutech RCA and put some Sound Connections XLRs on them using just pins 1 and 2 and plugged it into the xlr outs.  He said the sound improvement was pretty great: more detail, body, dimensionality, larger soundstage and more extended highs and lows.  The rca outputs are summed from the balanced outs.....so there is more circuitry in the coax outs.  By using the positive phase of the balanced outs you are listening to less stuff.  And usually less stuff is better.  He sure says it is.  If you are listening to coax outs and you don't try this then???????  why??????  He first used a Furutech rca to Sound Connections xlr adapter and the sound quality was better but I wanted him to try it without the adapter so he called me back in an hour and said it was only slighty more "solid" without the adapter.  This adapter was made using state of the art jacks.....so "regular adapters" will sound noticeably worse.  WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' ADAPTERS!  But if you must, then try it anyway.

Another way to try this mod (voiding the warrantee here) is to take the cover off and cut the brass tabs on the rca set that is next to the xlr jacks.  Now that they are disconnected from the board and old circuit you can then run a wire from pin two on the xlrs to these rca jacks.  Now you have one set of rca jacks that are normal and the other set is wired from the positive pin of the xlr.  Now you can A/B really fast.....in fact, you could have two sets of cables and just switch on the fly on your preamp/amp.

Next up is to short the USB input (he is using BNC).  After that he will remove cover and take pics and send them to me.  He will put in a better fuse after that and then we will decide what next to do.....probably damp the heatsinks and bypass the power switch.  WA Quantum chips on the DACs will be done at some time too.....and much more.

May 15, 2015 at 9:25 PM Post #7,534 of 9,484
  Ok, My friend with the Yggy who already got a small improvement by shorting two of the digital inputs just did another test.  He was using a home made interconnect that had a Furutech RCA on it.  He removed the Furutech RCA and put some Sound Connections XLRs on them using just pins 1 and 2 and plugged it into the xlr outs.  He said the sound improvement was pretty great: more detail, body, dimensionality, larger soundstage and more extended highs and lows.  The rca outputs are summed from the balanced outs.....so there is more circuitry in the coax outs.  By using the positive phase of the balanced outs you are listening to less stuff.  And usually less stuff is better.  He sure says it is.  If you are listening to coax outs and you don't try this then???????  why??????  He first used a Furutech rca to Sound Connections xlr adapter and the sound quality was better but I wanted him to try it without the adapter so he called me back in an hour and said it was only slighty more "solid" without the adapter.  This adapter was made using state of the art jacks.....so "regular adapters" will sound noticeably worse.  WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' ADAPTERS!  But if you must, then try it anyway.

Next up is to short the USB input (he is using BNC).  After that he will remove cover and take pics and send them to me.  He will put in a better fuse after that and then we will decide what next to do.....probably damp the heatsinks and bypass the power switch.  WA Quantum chips on the DACs will be done at some time too.....and much more.

Not at all trying to 'rain on your parade' Ric...

Why did your buddy do ANY tweaks, until after 3-400 hrs of burn-in w/ a dynamic load ?  Seems counterproductive & w/o a baseline..

Surprised you didn't advise him on this, being you've been around forever & you're well respected..

Any opinion of 'the best' fuse to use ?

David

May 15, 2015 at 9:45 PM Post #7,535 of 9,484
He has over 240 hours on it with dynamic load and it was never turned off when he did all the tweaks.  You can hear the difference in the tweaks at any time during burn in if you never turn the machine off.  He has never turned it off.  You don't need to have 10,000 hours on your Yggy to know the truth of tweaks.  Just listen.  Please try it and report back.  I know you cannot re-terminate your expensive interconnects, so you will have to use an adapter.

I have no opinion of fuses, as I prefer to bypass them in low level transistor gear.  I will be trying fuses in my Class A amp soon but have not done tests yet.  Here are some opinions of fuses: http://www.audioasylum.com/audio/tweaks/messages/19/197939.html

A lot of the tweaks I do lower distortion.  They are not flavors.  You would prefer to have no LED indicators at zero hours burn in and at 1000 hours burn in.  You would prefer to have shorted unused inputs at zero hours burn in and at 1000 hours burn in.  Same with removing fuses, power switches, not needed circuitry, etc.  Once you have removed all the parts it does not need then you change parts to lower distortion parts, power supplies and circuits and damp things (using super low distortion damping material....but it is an art as to how much and where).  After that it is flavoring.  You know....which brand of wire, which brand of caps, solder, etc. that match the needs of the component.  But removing parts and other distortion lowering techniques are a given and preferred no matter how much burn in.  I have been doing this for over 35 years and this is my experience.

May 15, 2015 at 10:22 PM Post #7,536 of 9,484
Oh jesus christ. Are you replacing your service mast where the utility wiring comes into your house? Your breaker that feeds the circuit the Yggy is connected to? The loomex wiring in the wall? The receptacle? Where does it end... as an electrician, this is hilarious. Enjoy your tweaking, the brain is such an impressionable organ.

May 15, 2015 at 10:45 PM Post #7,538 of 9,484
  Oh jesus christ. Are you replacing your service mast where the utility wiring comes into your house? Your breaker that feeds the circuit the Yggy is connected to? The loomex wiring in the wall? The receptacle? Where does it end... as an electrician, this is hilarious. Enjoy your tweaking, the brain is such an impressionable organ.

If you were in my local area. I'd prove to you with your ears the difference a cable can make. 

Just the other day at home depot I bought 1.5 meters of 10awg bulk AC wire for entertainment tweaking. I terminated it with my furutech AC gold plated plugs (about 70bucks each end).  I plugged the cable into my AC receptacle to my Blue circle power conditioner.  My ears started to bleed with this absolutely strange out of phase sound from my 2 channel speakers....almost like I had to "pop" my ears due to a change of elevation. I couldn't figure it out. According to non believers I should have theoretically heard no sonic difference (good or bad) from a cable. As my ears couldn't tolerate the sound I put my Furutech alpha3 power cable back where it was originally. Musical bliss once again.

Can you explain this???? so far no one could explain what has happened.

Oddly enough I swapped my $500 dollar audio sensibility power cord from my Tube dac and the sound became even more tubey making the music even more enjoyable with incredible intimacy. So my cheap 10awg cord  sounded better than my $500 power cord. We all know 10awg is quite overkill for a headphone amp, 2 channel integrated, or source components. 

However if i put my 10awg cheap cord on my Simaudio integrated amp I prefer my audio sensibility power cord....go figure.

If you have never ever experimented I urge you to borrow cables and challenge your ears. I'll have to say my bleeding ears (my experiment) was one of the most brutal unexplained tweaking I've ever had with my gear. 

May 15, 2015 at 10:57 PM Post #7,539 of 9,484
OK, who left the doors unlocked at the audio asylum tonight?? 
rolleyes.gif

May 15, 2015 at 11:02 PM Post #7,540 of 9,484
  Get Mogami XLR instead, I had both and BJC cable actually are not that great.

If you go DIY, silver 20awg XLR will destroy both of them in SQ.

Yep mogami is the way to go. What was used to record/produce the vast majority of music out there. Been around for 50 years and come with a lifetime warranty with many 50 year old cables still in use. Proaudiola has custom mogami and have a contract with them to do it at cost. For xlr I like their harness/loom. My whole hifi and dj setup is nothing but mogami.

May 15, 2015 at 11:39 PM Post #7,542 of 9,484

If you were in my local area. I'd prove to you with your ears the difference a cable can make. 

Just the other day at home depot I bought 1.5 meters of 10awg bulk AC wire for entertainment tweaking. I terminated it with my furutech AC gold plated plugs (about 70bucks each end).  I plugged the cable into my AC receptacle to my Blue circle power conditioner.  My ears started to bleed with this absolutely strange out of phase sound from my 2 channel speakers....almost like I had to "pop" my ears due to a change of elevation. I couldn't figure it out. According to non believers I should have theoretically heard no sonic difference (good or bad) from a cable. As my ears couldn't tolerate the sound I put my Furutech alpha3 power cable back where it was originally. Musical bliss once again.

Oddly enough I swapped my $500 dollar audio sensibility power cord from my Tube dac and the sound became even more tubey making the music even more enjoyable with incredible intimacy. So my cheap 10awg cord  sounded better than my $500 power cord. We all know 10awg is quite overkill for a headphone amp, 2 channel integrated, or source components. 

However if i put my 10awg cheap cord on my Simaudio integrated amp I prefer my audio sensibility power cord....go figure.

If you have never ever experimented I urge you to borrow cables and challenge your ears. I'll have to say my bleeding ears (my experiment) was one of the most brutal unexplained tweaking I've ever had with my gear. 

Get balanced power and the cord would no longer matter.

May 15, 2015 at 11:52 PM Post #7,543 of 9,484

It's hard to explain dementia, I guess.  Or complete nonsense.

Sort of like fuses.  I'm not sure someone understands what a fuse does or what a proper built power supply does after the fuse.

May 16, 2015 at 12:13 AM Post #7,544 of 9,484
I don't think name-calling is necessary.  And dementia is the wrong word anyway.  The correct word would be delusional. 
wink_face.gif

Besides it makes no sense to do any mod to Yggy until it;s burned in for 1000-2000 hours and is thermo-stabilized.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back