New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil
May 11, 2015 at 4:55 AM Post #7,187 of 9,484
  Brought the Yggy to a buddy's house for about 4 hrs yesterday…

I've yet to power down my Yggdrasil, but someone I trust did and it regressed after being off for 30 minutes. I know it's a pain, but be best to give Yggdrasil the full warm-up again, to be sure, if you can.

The stage where the Yggdrasil can be described as "detail driven" is how I would describe it before it settles properly.

May 11, 2015 at 5:08 AM Post #7,188 of 9,484
I've yet to power down my Yggdrasil, but someone I trust did and it regressed after being off for 30 minutes. I know it's a pain, but be best to give Yggdrasil the full warm-up again, to be sure, if you can.

The stage where the Yggdrasil can be described as "detail driven" is how I would describe it before it settles properly.

Hmm so I have at best a 30 minute window to change out amps and cables. That is good to know, for when I do comparisons.

May 11, 2015 at 5:12 AM Post #7,189 of 9,484
Hmm so I have at best a 30 minute window to change out amps and cables. That is good to know, for when I do comparisons.

I forsee a lot of audiophiles being pulled over for speeding with their Yggy's in tow, "But officer, I'm on my way to a Head-Fi meet and I've only got 30 minutes to get there or my Yggy will revert to stock!"

May 11, 2015 at 5:29 AM Post #7,191 of 9,484
  Had Yggdrasil in the house and turned on for 10 days.  Spent some time this morning doing some "critical" listening - or at least as critical as I care to do - and the one word my wife and I agree describes the sound is "analog."  It makes my digital rips from CD sound like vinyl.  I am impressed.

If thats true, and I have no idea how I could ever confirm it... maybe at the store I buy my audio gear, I will eventually buy it (I have around 55% of its price saved up not including shipping, customs and VAT).

Instead of spending the cash on a Turntable, phono pre amp, and vinyls Ill just get the Yggy... (also, you can vinyl Games... Analog sound in games? That I must have).

May 11, 2015 at 5:35 AM Post #7,192 of 9,484
  My Yggdrasil is still in transit from LA to Frankfurt.
Thinking ahead: If temperature of the dac chips is really an issue couldn't that be solved quite easily with "DAC-heaters" being glued to the DAC-chips?
DAC-heaters could be build using constant current sources with BD139 transistors (or similar ones with SOT-32 case) which should fit from the size. A more sophisticated design could even include some thermal feedback.
What do you Schiit guys think?

In my opinion its not about maintaining a set thermal environment.
Yes the entire unit needs to reach thermal equilibrium but that just sets the stage for the circuit(s) to then begin to get used to operating in that particular environment.

All of the components are new and have never functioned in their role as a component in their particular circuit, except during testing to check for infant mortality.

Running a signal thru the circuit(s) is what needs to happen.
I have been tracking these sorts of changes for years now and after a certain amount of operational time the circuits come into focus together and the results are audible.

That is why initially it can sometimes take many hundreds of hours before FULL stability and focus is reached.
And why the amount of time needed to reach DigitalVinyl®©™ mode will likely lessen as more cumulative hours are added.

I have witnessed this pattern repeat itself over and over again, while testing many different components as I repeat these tests after making changes, etc.

And I suspect that as the hours continue to mount this dac will continue to surprise many with what it delivers, even beyond these early reports.
AND if further choke points are (or have already been) dealt with in their respective systems, we may yet eclipse vinyl and not just in a few ways but overall and perhaps in every meaningful way.

The only downside, seems to be the 'stay at home' nature of this dac due to the need to reach thermal equilibrium.  And AFTER it has accumlated many hundreds of operating hours when the return to "DigitalVinyl®©™ mode" is much shorter, then perhaps it will travel better.

And I realize that many of you don't want to hear any of this, it flies in the face of all you hold near and dear to 'the way of things', but for those who are familiar with this level of SotA SQ this is to be expected.

And as Schiit states, "(because Yggy already has screw-in feet–you've reached the big leagues now, guys)

And because true SotA equipment demands that you accommodate it, and not the other way around, these 'issues' are a small price to pay for this level of performance.

JJ

May 11, 2015 at 5:52 AM Post #7,193 of 9,484
I don't want to feed the trolls,
But my understanding regarding cable lifting (for audio) is that the air around the cables influences their performance and a cable on the floor would have part of it in air and the other part on the floor (wood, concrete whatever) - which creates inbalance...

If you go back to the theories that were developed back at the turn of the 18 to 19th centuries and exammine what electricity truly is and what the equations tell us, it paints a very different picture than what most have come to understand.

In short electricity doesn't exist within the wire but only exists at the junction of the electrostatic and magnetic fields, which occur outside of the physical wire.

I'll let that sink in.

There is more to it, obviously, but in essence the fields that surround the wires creates and influences the propogation of the voltage and current.  

JJ

May 11, 2015 at 6:04 AM Post #7,194 of 9,484
  If you go back to the theories that were developed back at the turn of the 18 to 19th centuries and exammine what electricity truly is and what the equations tell us, it paints a very different picture than what most have come to understand.

In short electricity doesn't exist within the wire but only exists at the junction of the electrostatic and magnetic fields, which occur outside of the physical wire.

I'll let that sink in.

There is more to it, obviously, but in essence the fields that surround the wires creates and influences the propogation of the voltage and current.  

JJ

An electric current is electrons floating through a conductor (wire) - the last time I looked. 
Just try to touch a live wire! You will feel it. lol
That electric current in term creates a magnetic field (Cork-Screw rule) which can be measured.
No hocus-pocus!

May 11, 2015 at 6:18 AM Post #7,195 of 9,484
I see…

And I agree it isn't "hocus-pocus!"

It's math…  
atsmile.gif

q (Cue)     Total Electrification       Plank         (Requires BOTH Ψ (psi) & Φ (phi) for electricity)
Ψ (psi)      Total Dielectrification    Coulomb   (Inner Space  (inside the wire) electrostatic)
Φ (phi)      Total Magnetization      Weber       (Outer Space  (outside the wire) magnetic)

q / Φ = Ψ (Coulomb) electrostatic field - (radial lines of force pulls together)            
q / Ψ = Φ (Weber) magnetic field - (concentric lines of force pushes 2 wires apart)        
Φ x Ψ = q (Plank)  Φ = outer space - magnetic  Ψ = inner space - electrostatic

q / Area  Density of Magnetic Induction  in cm2 
Ψ / Area  Density of Dielectric Induction  in cm2 
q / A2rea  Density of Electrification   in cm4 

Derivatives
q / Time = W (Joules)
Φ / Time = E (Volt)
Ψ / Time = I (Ampere)
q / T2ime  = P (Watts)

Some may not recognize the original equations that were postulated way back then.
And this is but a portion of the notes I took when investigating this.

It’s a fascinating story over all.

JJ

May 11, 2015 at 8:05 AM Post #7,200 of 9,484
Hi all,

Leave it on permanently. It will last longer.

We know that PCB's and transformers etc. generate heat when powered up, but what happens when you power down. Well the heat dissipates, thepreviously warm cools and contacts and condensation sets in.

So you now have an expanding and contracting PCB with moisture present around the tracks and solder joints. Not a good environment for longevity.  Consider that more than 90% of the time when an incandescent lamp blows it is when switching on from cold.

With the low power requirement of the Yg, perhaps one less hamburger and beer per month will compensate for the 'extravagant waste'

It would be nice to have opinions, comparisons and reviews grouped into one place to be able to refer to and to pass on to interested parties. As the thread stands, a lot of searching is needed to find this info because of all the bloat and incessant bitching and moaning about burn-in and warm-up.

I also found at the beginning of these Yg threads a certain relaxed banter and general tolerance. Lately it has degenerated into something less with certain posters resorting to rudeness and being very dismissive of others.   That's sad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back