New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil
Mar 7, 2015 at 2:00 PM Post #4,907 of 9,484

Analog Devices AD5791BRUZ - Headline specs are: 1 ppm 20-Bit, ±1 LSB INL. I use 2 per channel (1 per phase) to get an honest 20 bit level of performance. That is four per Yggy. The BRUZ version is the higher specced model. Those four DAC chips sell for just under A hun apiece – that's $400 bucks per Yggy. No Schiit – Check it out – go to Mouser or Digi-Key and price it out. 

http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/AD5791BRUZ/AD5791BRUZ-ND/2606881

$82 each if you buy 1,000 
biggrin.gif

Mar 7, 2015 at 2:38 PM Post #4,908 of 9,484
quite familiar with Schiit's Shtick - tease with hardheaded sounding, incomplete engineering talk, some amounting to puffery AND play the woo audiophile game at the same time

then go "aw shucks its just for fun" when questioned

I'll be happy to see good 3rd party measured specs from a intelligent implementation of the AD5791 in a audio DAC - heck I pointed to the chip nearly 3 years ago at diyAudio

Mar 7, 2015 at 5:30 PM Post #4,909 of 9,484
quite familiar with Schiit's Shtick - tease with hardheaded sounding, incomplete engineering talk, some amounting to puffery AND play the woo audiophile game at the same time

I'll be happy to see good 3rd party measured specs from a intelligent implementation of the AD5791 in a audio DAC - heck I pointed to the chip nearly 3 years ago at diyAudio

Have you built anything that used that DAC, or are you simply a bench racer?

Mar 7, 2015 at 5:38 PM Post #4,910 of 9,484

Quite the unfair comment seeing as many DAC manufacturers rub the labels off their DAC chips and don't disclose anything regarding how they implemented the design aside from "NOS"' " r2r", "DSD" etc etc. Im not quite sure what you want Schiit to do.

Mar 7, 2015 at 6:48 PM Post #4,911 of 9,484

Schitt are such sellouts, advertising their work and trying to turn a profit.

Mar 7, 2015 at 7:37 PM Post #4,913 of 9,484

Schitt are such sellouts, advertising their work and trying to turn a profit.

You must be joking>

Dollar for Dollar,Schiit has got to be the best bargain out there,always has been..finest quality at the best possible prices
Plus,it's made in the USA.

Mike

Mar 7, 2015 at 7:48 PM Post #4,914 of 9,484
a bit "off message" there boys - who's going to be the 1st to throw the "thread crapping" card?

a post about Schiit, responding to their fan dance showing us a part #, a bit about marketing practices and a amendment hoping they have made something that measures better than the datasheet suggests?

Mar 7, 2015 at 8:20 PM Post #4,916 of 9,484
  a bit "off message" there boys - who's going to be the 1st to throw the "thread crapping" card?

a post about Schiit, responding to their fan dance showing us a part #, a bit about marketing practices and a amendment hoping they have made something that measures better than the datasheet suggests?

Maybe those specs were measured on the evaluation board?

Mar 7, 2015 at 8:21 PM Post #4,917 of 9,484
OK - lets not get bogged down in what Schiit Audio is and isnt - Mike has been good enough to give us the chip and I expect a lot more people will get to hear Yggy at CANJAM, hopefully it wont be too long after that before we see the DAC appear on Schiit's product page. The proof of the pudding has always been in the eating - I have little doubt that anyone who doesnt like what Mike has cooked up will be able to articulate why that is the case. With the possible exception of the BHSE (and maybe the Abyss), I cant think of a single product that draws universal praise from everyone here : even the SR-009 split the Stax camp down the middle when they compared it to the Omega. That's life, but hopefully we'll get some feedback from folk who dont use the word 'bonkers' as the predominant adjective in detailing their impressions. 

Mar 7, 2015 at 8:26 PM Post #4,918 of 9,484
the whole "bit perfect digital filter" discussion? - without going into the many interpolation algorithms that do put the curve thru the data - the 1st question in practical audio reproduction would be
"what does it matter?"

recordings of acoustic performances have mic and room noise floor limits before the ADC lsb,  typically studios record at 24 bit rez, the lsb are deep in the electrical noise of the ADC's own analog electronics

during mastering flat tpdf dither is added as needed - to multiple stubs, at multiple DSP stages

then virtually all CD decimated to 16 bits with dither and noise shaping

so I do call "bit perfect digital filter" hype or puffery - perhaps strictly true description but of no practical relevance

And what questions have you asked that they answered with puffery?

Mar 7, 2015 at 8:40 PM Post #4,919 of 9,484
Because there has been so much talk about digital filters and what not, and if you're going to bring up CDs being 16 bit, we may as well give up on making any DAC capable of anything more than that.

Mar 7, 2015 at 11:33 PM Post #4,920 of 9,484
  The update on Yggy status as of Friday, Mar 6. The Yggy is in production – here is a brief description of Yggy production:

1. Kits consisting of a circuitboard and all parts are dispatched to our PCB assembly house. For an Yggy, that means 5 different kits, with one of the kits being double sized, with two boards per Yggy.  Since there are nearly 1000 parts per Yggy, this is a big job.

2. The assy house inventories the kits, and when complete, sends them off to be built.

3. The assembly house builds first articles of all new boards for us to approve. Since the Yggy boards are new, all will have this first article step.

4. I approve the first articles, thus setting in motion the production build.

5. The production build boards are delivered to Schiit, kit by kit.

6. Schiit tests the arriving boards.

7. When all board kits have returned from the assy house, Schiit assembles them into finished Yggys.

8. We burn the Yggys in for a couple of days.

9. We final test, box, and ship them.

We are now on step 2 of production.

In another column I revealed formally the DAC chip used in the Yggy:

Analog Devices AD5791BRUZ - Headline specs are: 1 ppm 20-Bit, ±1 LSB INL. I use 2 per channel (1 per phase) to get an honest 20 bit level of performance. That is four per Yggy. The BRUZ version is the higher specced model. Those four DAC chips sell for just under A hun apiece – that's $400 bucks per Yggy. No Schiit – Check it out – go to Mouser or Digi-Key and price it out. The Field Application Engineer at Analog Devices mentioned these were too precise for just an audio application before he told me I shouldn't use them for a non-industrial or medical application. Forty years of designing stuff - I still don't listen.
Virtually all of our competition use delta sigma audio parts. One of the highest-regarded of these is the Burr-Brown PCM1794A is sold as a 24 bit audio part and costs 10ish bucks. Spend 5 more bucks and you get the DSD1794A which adds -you guessed it- DSD. The parts come with data sheets and reference cookbook designs which make it possible for almost anyone to design a D/A converter using them. I have seen these used in at least two very highly regarded D/A converters over $5000.00.
I have detailed in other areas the mathematical problems with any delta sigma chip. Their only advantage is their low cost.

But I digress. I will keep you all posted on Yggy production!

So I have a question. With this being a 20-bit DAC, does that mean it has to down-sample 24-bit music or am I reading into this wrong?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back