New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil
Jun 16, 2013 at 3:17 PM Post #31 of 9,484
Quote:
Is the Ragnarok a total wipeout?

Where's Spritzer when we need him...??

Right here and I just tested the names on my American born friend, no way in hell he could pronounce them even after spending years in Iceland.  Given that nobody can pronounce Mjölnir even close to correctly (hint... it's not mojolnir) then Yggdrasill will be impossible. 

Ragnarök in indeed the end of days and Yggdrasill is the tree of life from which all life springs. 

Now we just have to wait for Fenrisúlfurinn which is the wolf that swallows the earth during Ragnarök...
redface.gif

Jun 17, 2013 at 12:34 AM Post #33 of 9,484
Quote:

Why so? I had to ask because you said in your description that you have auditioned/owned almost everything on the market.

A person with so much experience saying that, has some serious weight to it. Even I have had the chance to audition electrostatics, namely the SR-009 and other Stax headphones, but I did not really see that much of a difference. They do sound amazing and better than most dynamic headphones, but the difference is not that great I think.

Btw, I actually have a feeling that Schiit might go into electrostatic stuff in the future.

PS: You really put Rakija in your interests, awesome
beerchug.gif
, why didnt i think of that..

Electrostats for me just do everything so effortlessly, the lower end of the offerings can do many aspects of sound much better than most of the non-estat high end/TOTL offerings out there. It's all about sound preferences and what you listen to at the end of the day.

Also auditioning headphones at meets or audio festivals is not a good way to find out what is good and what is bad as it only tells you so much. I'm sure you will be blown away if you had a SR-009 vs say LCD3 or T1 headphones both compared comprehensively at a mini meet or personally in your own home. 

That said, I did recently sell my HD800 (few days ago) and to me the HD800 is the best dynamic headphone money can buy and only short of the higher end Stax offerings, some may disagree but at the end of the day, the only con I can think about of the HD800's when not amped properly is it's treble (besides it's awful paint chipping as well).

Yes rakija is awesome, my friends are of Serbian background so I get them to brew me some when I need it for special needs and occasions. 
beerchug.gif

Jun 17, 2013 at 9:24 AM Post #34 of 9,484
Quote:

Electrostats for me just do everything so effortlessly, the lower end of the offerings can do many aspects of sound much better than most of the non-estat high end/TOTL offerings out there. It's all about sound preferences and what you listen to at the end of the day.

Also auditioning headphones at meets or audio festivals is not a good way to find out what is good and what is bad as it only tells you so much. I'm sure you will be blown away if you had a SR-009 vs say LCD3 or T1 headphones both compared comprehensively at a mini meet or personally in your own home. 

That said, I did recently sell my HD800 (few days ago) and to me the HD800 is the best dynamic headphone money can buy and only short of the higher end Stax offerings, some may disagree but at the end of the day, the only con I can think about of the HD800's when not amped properly is it's treble (besides it's awful paint chipping as well).

Yes rakija is awesome, my friends are of Serbian background so I get them to brew me some when I need it for special needs and occasions. 
beerchug.gif

I demoed the SR-009 with the blue Hawaii  as well as the LCD3 with the Eddie Current Balancing Act amp at a head-fi meet in June 2012 and honestly I liked the HE-500 with the EF6 amp better for my taste, and just below that the Denon D7000 with the Burson HA-160D.

The SR-009 and the LCD3 were both too neutral for me. I need my gear to have some life.

As with anything audio, its all preference.

Jun 17, 2013 at 12:40 PM Post #35 of 9,484
Stats are overrated. Maybe this will change with the Orpheus's successor. 
redface.gif

Jun 17, 2013 at 1:22 PM Post #37 of 9,484
Wonder what kind of <REDACTED> CHIPSES they got in their TOTL DACSES ??? 
Also curious what kind of sexy pcb topology lurks under the hood in both of the flagships.
Waiting for the photog to dust off his camera...

Jun 17, 2013 at 1:26 PM Post #39 of 9,484
Quote:
LCD3 too neutral? o.O

that was just my impression from the 10 minute demo i had, it could be attributed to the tubes in the amp and also it was with a W4S DAC2 through a logitech squeezebox from an ipad.

so lots of variables, but overall the HE-500 was much more pleasing to me.

Quote:
Stats are overrated. Maybe this will change with the Orpheus's successor. 
redface.gif

I can't wait to see they hybrid offering later in 2014 with a tube preamp stage.

Jun 17, 2013 at 9:10 PM Post #41 of 9,484
Quote:

beerchug.gif

It's the brew of the Balkans. I've got some Macedonian rakija here that'll put hair on your chest. 
size]

Jun 17, 2013 at 9:26 PM Post #43 of 9,484
Quote:
Yah, it's some good schit, having Russian in my blood I do remember the old days where I use to get sick or have a cold and my grandma use to put a bit of rakija on my chest to ease the cold.

Or give you a sip, to help you sleep. 
size]

Jun 17, 2013 at 9:39 PM Post #45 of 9,484
Quote:

I demoed the SR-009 with the blue Hawaii  as well as the LCD3 with the Eddie Current Balancing Act amp at a head-fi meet in June 2012 and honestly I liked the HE-500 with the EF6 amp better for my taste, and just below that the Denon D7000 with the Burson HA-160D.

The SR-009 and the LCD3 were both too neutral for me. I need my gear to have some life.

As with anything audio, its all preference.

eek.gif

I sold the Burson HA-160D as fast as I could.  Different strokes for different folks..
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back