New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil
Jan 2, 2015 at 7:45 PM Post #4,457 of 9,484
Sorry, thought this was the Snowpiercer thread.

Jan 2, 2015 at 8:48 PM Post #4,458 of 9,484
I see two pairs of RCA outputs on the back.  A question to anybody who has seen it in person:  are they two separate pairs of SE line outputs?  I don't want to assume and get my hopes up since the photo is too small to make out any labeling.

I'm really hoping the answer is yes.  All of my amps are SE and it's amazingly hard to find good DACs with dual SE out.  I've wanted to move up from my Channel Islands VDA-2 but I can't part with the convenience of its dual SE outs.

Jan 2, 2015 at 10:45 PM Post #4,459 of 9,484
  I see two pairs of RCA outputs on the back.  A question to anybody who has seen it in person:  are they two separate pairs of SE line outputs?  I don't want to assume and get my hopes up since the photo is too small to make out any labeling.

I'm really hoping the answer is yes.  All of my amps are SE and it's amazingly hard to find good DACs with dual SE out.  I've wanted to move up from my Channel Islands VDA-2 but I can't part with the convenience of its dual SE outs.

The Gungnir has dual SE outs so it's probably safe to assume Yggy does as well.

Jan 3, 2015 at 12:22 AM Post #4,460 of 9,484
My new Rag is in queue for production. I've been reading the manual ahead of time to familiarize myself with it's operation. I'm trying to figure out why the default mode is set to output to both headphones and speakers at the same time. It would appear to be a very dangerous setting if certain scenarios are true.

I have LCD-X phones (95dB/mW sensitivity,1-4W optimal power). On my Mjolnir, I can't set the volume control above 10 o'clock before going to about "90 dB" on average which to me is much too loud and which hurts, and musical details are lost. I clamped my iPhone 4s mic inbetween the headphones and used my sound meter app to determine this number. My guess is the level I'm experiencing wearing the headphones is likely somewhat higher.

I have to assume that my in transit KEF LS50s (85dB/watt) would play much softer than this at the same volume spot assuming I could plug them into the Mjolnir.

It is unclear from the manual if the gain settings used for headphone only and speakers only transfer independently to their respective device on the phones/speaker setting or is a separate gain level chosen to run them both at the same time on that combined output setting. It seems to me that the former makes way more sense than the latter.

Since there is no separate indicator on the Rag to identify what device mode it's presently set to, one has to cycle through the settings at low volume and listen for which devices are active to determine this. This to me seems incredibly goofy compared to a simple set of 2 indicator lights (first on, second on, both on) The manual states that one needs to be careful while "blasting speakers" not to switch inputs suddenly to phones without turning down the volume or you'll have a very bad day. I understand that. If however the headphone/speaker setting maps the individual gain levels to each device rather than requiring a common gain level, there would be much less chance of a disaster.

I could see balancing the gain of each device so I would get a similar SPL at a particular volume knob setting. This would be great to easily A-B phones versus speakers on a particular piece of music since volumes are matched. Also it would be very difficult for me or a family member to accidently fry the phones by merely switching inputs while having too high a volume control setting since I would never need to change from the headphone/speaker combined setting. Neither device will ever go over my maximum comfortable level accidently.

My phones are always playing now even if I am listening to my desktop Bose system which the LS50s and Rag will replace, but I can't hear them hanging on the stand because the Bose nearfield is so much louder, so this combined setup and my non desire to push past 90dB means I don't have to do any switching or worry about accidently blowing up the phones making input settings with the volume up.

However, if the headphone/speaker setting requires it's own gain setting too and doesn't map the best individual settings for each device, my life becomes a big pain in the ass compared to it's present simple carefree state with the Mjolnir. And I will be clueless as to the scenario where one would find any value in using the combined setting since the headphones would always be much louder than the speakers and more likely to get fried by turning up the speakers.

Am I missing something here? Rag owners please enlighten me prior to it's arrival in 2-3 weeks.

Jan 3, 2015 at 1:17 AM Post #4,463 of 9,484
The Rag uses a better switch, no reason the matching Yggy shouldn't. Hopefully the production version will have it.

I agree, I would rather have a small cost increase for just such a feature. I understand the approach for other aspects of the Schiit line, but statement gear does warrant some eye-candy aspects. So funny, only with Schiit gear can we call a power switch eye-candy (that is a compliment in my mind as in the end, the sound most matters).

Jan 3, 2015 at 9:09 AM Post #4,464 of 9,484

My phones are always playing now even if I am listening to my desktop Bose system which the LS50s and Rag will replace, but I can't hear them hanging on the stand because the Bose nearfield is so much louder, so this combined setup and my non desire to push past 90dB means I don't have to do any switching or worry about accidently blowing up the phones making input settings with the volume up.

However, if the headphone/speaker setting requires it's own gain setting too and doesn't map the best individual settings for each device, my life becomes a big pain in the ass compared to it's present simple carefree state with the Mjolnir. And I will be clueless as to the scenario where one would find any value in using the combined setting since the headphones would always be much louder than the speakers and more likely to get fried by turning up the speakers.

Sorry. The answer is "it's a big pain in the ass." That said, it's not like Mjolnir can drive speakers, so it's sort of apples and oranges. I don't find the imbalance is so extreme as to worry about bleeding ears and slagged headphones, but you may have to adjust the gain and/or volume when switching between output mods. The lack of visible indication of what output mode is active is criminally stupid, but having to adjust gain when switching output devices isn't that big of a deal to me. I get far less source voltage from my phono pre-amp than my DAC so that requires fiddling with gain settings as well and it just is not that big of a deal.

Jan 3, 2015 at 9:57 AM Post #4,465 of 9,484
Honestly I'm starting to think I'd rather just use the Ragnorock as a headphone amp only and get a separate integrated amp for speakers. No remote, no front panel power button, no easy switching, lower power, etc.

Jan 3, 2015 at 11:22 AM Post #4,466 of 9,484
My new Rag is in queue for production. I've been reading the manual ahead of time to familiarize myself with it's operation. I'm trying to figure out why the default mode is set to output to both headphones and speakers at the same time. It would appear to be a very dangerous setting if certain scenarios are true.

I have LCD-X phones (95dB/mW sensitivity,1-4W optimal power). On my Mjolnir, I can't set the volume control above 10 o'clock before going to about "90 dB" on average which to me is much too loud and which hurts, and musical details are lost. I clamped my iPhone 4s mic inbetween the headphones and used my sound meter app to determine this number. My guess is the level I'm experiencing wearing the headphones is likely somewhat higher.

I have to assume that my in transit KEF LS50s (85dB/watt) would play much softer than this at the same volume spot assuming I could plug them into the Mjolnir.

It is unclear from the manual if the gain settings used for headphone only and speakers only transfer independently to their respective device on the phones/speaker setting or is a separate gain level chosen to run them both at the same time on that combined output setting. It seems to me that the former makes way more sense than the latter.

Since there is no separate indicator on the Rag to identify what device mode it's presently set to, one has to cycle through the settings at low volume and listen for which devices are active to determine this. This to me seems incredibly goofy compared to a simple set of 2 indicator lights (first on, second on, both on) The manual states that one needs to be careful while "blasting speakers" not to switch inputs suddenly to phones without turning down the volume or you'll have a very bad day. I understand that. If however the headphone/speaker setting maps the individual gain levels to each device rather than requiring a common gain level, there would be much less chance of a disaster.

I could see balancing the gain of each device so I would get a similar SPL at a particular volume knob setting. This would be great to easily A-B phones versus speakers on a particular piece of music since volumes are matched. Also it would be very difficult for me or a family member to accidently fry the phones by merely switching inputs while having too high a volume control setting since I would never need to change from the headphone/speaker combined setting. Neither device will ever go over my maximum comfortable level accidently.

Am I missing something here? Rag owners please enlighten me prior to it's arrival in 2-3 weeks.

I suspect headphones and speakers will have identical gain when the Rag is set to: "speakers + headphone".

Jan 3, 2015 at 12:25 PM Post #4,467 of 9,484

**Commence Rant**

Just saw the back panel photo of Ygg and #&@^, there's that crummy little chrome power switch INBOARD of the cord socket!

I had figured (assumed? hoped?) that Ygg would have the same switch/fuse/socket plinth as the Rag which is one of my favorite features since it puts the switch ABOVE the socket and right at the edge of the cabinet. Don't think that's important? Try having your Schiit on a scheelf rather than a desktop, meaning you have to reach around rather than over. Unless you have the digital dexterity of a concert pianist  who moonlights as a dealer in Vegas, that's a pain every time you use the unit.

Please, Jason, have mercy! if you can't go the whole plinth, could you at least put the switch outboard of the socket?

Not that I won't order Ygg the moment it becomes available, bit this is a bit like finding that the beautiful woman I planned to take to bed has a yeast infection.

**End Rant**

Jan 3, 2015 at 12:37 PM Post #4,468 of 9,484
These rants about the power switch are amusing.  I love how forum people go completely over the top about things that just don't matter... 
ksc75smile.gif

Jan 3, 2015 at 12:46 PM Post #4,469 of 9,484
**Commence Rant**

Just saw the back panel photo of Ygg and #&@^, there's that crummy little chrome power switch INBOARD of the cord socket!

I had figured (assumed? hoped?) that Ygg would have the same switch/fuse/socket plinth as the Rag which is one of my favorite features since it puts the switch ABOVE the socket and right at the edge of the cabinet. Don't think that's important? Try having your Schiit on a scheelf rather than a desktop, meaning you have to reach around rather than over. Unless you have the digital dexterity of a concert pianist  who moonlights as a dealer in Vegas, that's a pain every time you use the unit.

Please, Jason, have mercy! if you can't go the whole plinth, could you at least put the switch outboard of the socket?

Not that I won't order Ygg the moment it becomes available, bit this is a bit like finding that the beautiful woman I planned to take to bed has a yeast infection.

**End Rant**

Ever consider that it may be intended by the designer for best sound if the Yggy left on all the time?

From reports, it takes the Yggy around 4 hours to sound best from first powering up. Probably has an OCXO for ultimately stable performance. Making the power down "not easy" by design, signals to me for best SQ to not turn it off -unless for extended periods.

Jan 3, 2015 at 12:58 PM Post #4,470 of 9,484
LMBO.  The switch on the back of the unit that I will rarely see must be pretty!!!

Seriously, as long as the switch is robust enough so that it doesn't fail when the thing is powered up who gives a crap.  

I do however think that if the switch is to be on the backside then it should be as close to the edge of the dac as possible though.  Some people don't want to leave their gear on all day even if it is better for SQ.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back