New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil
Jul 9, 2014 at 2:38 PM Post #2,566 of 9,484
Nah, everyone knows that smoke damages electronic equipment...

gs1000.gif

Jul 9, 2014 at 2:56 PM Post #2,567 of 9,484
Oh it'll work for me, no worries.  Actually one of the reasons why I like working for small companies is precisely because they are not Apple.  (I actually did work for Apple in 1984 for a hot minute.  Even then the idea of "custom" anything was anathema to them.)  My company makes literally dozens of "knock offs" of some of our products to suit the needs of individual customers... but it's not a consumer retail business and our customers buy in the hundreds of units, not one at a time.  So I do understand and support your position.  Just exploring options... so the answer is no I guess, you'll have no spare sheet metal tops I can buy?  :cool:  

Once you buy (and want to keep) the Rag and Ygg, why not try to disassemble the outer chassis and send it off to an anodizer? They could do any color you wanted...

(That is, of course, as long as it doesn't screw up anything up, electronically or thermally)

Jul 9, 2014 at 3:14 PM Post #2,568 of 9,484
Once you buy (and want to keep) the Rag and Ygg, why not try to disassemble the outer chassis and send it off to an anodizer? They could do any color you wanted...

(That is, of course, as long as it doesn't screw up anything up, electronically or thermally)

That is my most likely process, actually... assuming the Ygg sounds better than my current system DAC.  :)

Jul 9, 2014 at 4:18 PM Post #2,570 of 9,484

Which is?

In my HT I use a Wavelength Brick and in my 2-channel system a Kora Hermes II.  Those are the ones I'll compare Yggdrasil to.  My headphone rig uses a Wavelength Proton to a Schiit Lyr.

Jul 9, 2014 at 5:19 PM Post #2,573 of 9,484

gs1000.gif

No no, you've got it backwards. Bad things happen when you let the magic smoke out. Putting it back *in* will make it sound better Of course, figuring out the proper kind of smoke to use... now that's the trick and where all the big R&D bucks come in.
wink.gif

Jul 9, 2014 at 5:41 PM Post #2,574 of 9,484

:gs1000smile:
When I used to fix vcr's, one could tell which owner was a smoker or not. The inside of the vcr's front panel would be covered in a sticky layer of nicotine. If that second hand smoke could do that to a piece of equipment, then it's no surprise second hand smoke can be detrimental to one's health.

Jul 9, 2014 at 6:49 PM Post #2,575 of 9,484
Jul 9, 2014 at 7:31 PM Post #2,577 of 9,484
Y'all who want a mac or some other piece of gear in a special color should look into Colorware.  Check out the Sennheiser HD800
http://www.colorware.com/

Jul 9, 2014 at 8:02 PM Post #2,578 of 9,484
A.) @Jason S. As an Apple fan you should know they do make a red iPhone. :p (I totally get your point though.

B.) People that want black Schiit. If you want to most likely void your warranty and run the risk of reducing thermal dissipation; you can have the shell anodized in different colors at most bike paint shops. But hey it could be purple, sea foam green, or simple old matte black. :)

Jul 10, 2014 at 6:11 AM Post #2,579 of 9,484
I understand the reason behind keeping one color. I think you can just ask a company like samsung or LG if they would make a different color TV for you and i assume youd get the same answer.

The problem (as far as i see it) is not making it once. Its having to do it for everyone. If you want colors, remotes, LCD/LED/Plasma displays and god knows what more, prices go up and up.

I like black colored gear more than silver (actually black is my favorite, second is silver) but black has 2 issues that are terrible: Heats up more if on direct sunlight (imagine that, schiit gear even hotter) and can lead to OCD like dust cleaining.

In fact, the only gripe I have with Schiit is that I dont live in the US, or they dont produce in Poland, because I have to pay almost twice as much for this gear due to customs.
Gotta love the "not so free" world market.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back