New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil
Jun 24, 2014 at 9:40 AM Post #2,311 of 9,484
Id really like to see Schiit come out with a solid state in the Lyr-Valhalla price range. Above Asgard, below Mjolnir. I just don't know what they'd do to make it different than what's out there besides being a great deal, a convenient form factor, etc. I don't mind tubes but something with more power than the Asgard, but not as expensive and all-balanced as Mjolnir. Maybe taking the Magni design and blowing it up? I could see that design, given more space being a really killer product in the 4-600 dollar range. Again, I don't think it's likely, but it's be nice to see. Some of us just want solid state love... : (

Jun 24, 2014 at 9:44 AM Post #2,312 of 9,484
Id really like to see Schiit come out with a solid state in the Lyr-Valhalla price range. Above Asgard, below Mjolnir. I just don't know what they'd do to make it different than what's out there besides being a great deal, a convenient form factor, etc. I don't mind tubes but something with more power than the Asgard, but not as expensive and all-balanced as Mjolnir. Maybe taking the Magni design and blowing it up? I could see that design, given more space being a really killer product in the 4-600 dollar range. Again, I don't think it's likely, but it's be nice to see. Some of us just want solid state love... : (

Lyr can still be considered solid state in a sense.

If you want pure solid state, go for the Mjolnir.

Jun 24, 2014 at 9:47 AM Post #2,313 of 9,484
I think Asgard is as good as it gets. Why'd you need more power? If you have expensive orthos, chances are - you have enough money to blow on a more expensive amp like Mjolnir, it's not really compact like A2, though... At the same time, A2 is more than capable for most orthos out there.

Jun 24, 2014 at 10:47 AM Post #2,314 of 9,484
  I see a lot of fear, uncertainty, doubt in your words :D

Based on Schiit Lyr (From my personal experience) at $450 I was comparing it head-to-head vs Leben CS600 in a local meet I organized a little while back. Leben CS600 ($5000 or so) is also a tube (but not hybrid) but also a speaker amp, and while people really love it for its warmth, and I can clearly say that Leben CS600 was warmer and perhaps a little more lush, Lyr was very close to it.

Schiit can pull this one, Mjolnir has been compared to dedicated headphones amp such as Bryston BHA-1 at about double the price of the Mjolnir, best bang for buck would be Mjolnir, for some even better than Bryston BHA-1 (I bet i'd fall in this category, since I don't like the "Treble Extension" that BHA-1 provides...)

I don't doubt for a second that Ragnarok wouldn't eat every other amp available today in terms of ultimate fidelity. Sure you could get a different sound signature from other products... Actually high-end is mostly a fight for different sound signature. But if engineering plays a role at all, Schiit got it nailed.

Well that's blind faith if ever I heard it 
rolleyes.gif

Jun 24, 2014 at 11:34 AM Post #2,316 of 9,484
The Ragnarok has tough competition. For many - it'll simply have to be on par with the GS-X or it's a bust.

And let's not also forget the Master 9.

Jun 24, 2014 at 11:44 AM Post #2,317 of 9,484
  The Ragnarok has tough competition. For many - it'll simply have to be on par with the GS-X or it's a bust.

And let's not also forget the Master 9.

You don't think there'll be a slight discount given the price differential?

Edit: I've heard that the GS-X mk2 is like hearing the music a few rows back as against the Schiit Mjolinir which is front row. Hence, I expect similar views but that's OK. Its the other features that will pique one's interest.

Jun 24, 2014 at 12:00 PM Post #2,319 of 9,484
  Fanboy-in-waiting.

Not really, I just believe in them cause Lyr has proven itself to be a very capable amplifier.
Based on this personal experience and Others reviews of Schiit products, their engineering is top notch, and I'd have trouble believing that they can't keep up with their latest and greatest, especially when they said there won't be anything higher-end than Ragnarok, that means they 'at least' have to match other amps. Also with all of the delay, they are doing everything they can to make these words into a reality.

Jun 24, 2014 at 1:10 PM Post #2,320 of 9,484

I tend to favor the Bakoon HPA-21 and other current driven amplifiers (Krell Phantom III, Questyle CMA800R) for their minimum distortion crystal clarity and rapid transient response.  I'm not sure how the Ragnarok would stack up against those.  Maybe on timbre.

The legendary Nelson Pass First Watt F1 amp was also a current driven (transconductance) design.

Jun 24, 2014 at 1:14 PM Post #2,321 of 9,484

I tend to favor the Bakoon HPA-21 and other current driven amplifiers (Krell Phantom III, Questyle CMA800R) for their minimum distortion cystal clarity and rapid transient response.  I'm not sure how the Ragnarok would stack up against those.  Maybe on timbre.

The legendary Nelson Pass First Watt F1 amp was also a current driven (transconductance) design.

Well, if Ragnarok can at least match Bakoon HPA-21 it could be an ultimate winner, for not having to use a battery and unlimited time for listening :D

Jun 24, 2014 at 1:17 PM Post #2,322 of 9,484
The CMA800R is maybe the clearest of them all, in the same price range, and can be stacked monoblock style for dual mono balanced output.

EDIT:  To be fair, I'm actually contemplating getting a Ragnarok to replace my speaker amp, which is a space heater disguised as a Class A SET tube amp.  Living in a top floor apartment in Houston during the summer, the radiant heat from that thing is palpable.  Not that that is the real reason for the replacement; I'm actually drinking the Schiit kool-aid here a little bit, thinking that it could be a potential upgrade at that position.

Plus I'll be getting an additional headphone jack; can't have too many of those things...  
wink.gif

Jun 24, 2014 at 1:31 PM Post #2,323 of 9,484

Not gonna happen.

See the post above about audiophila nervosa increasing exponentially with cost. We're here to have fun, not serve as proxy psychologists. Low-cost products are fun. High-cost products tend to attract the nutters who need 2 hours of phone time per day to help justify their purchase. 

We don't give one single schiit about what some self-appointed Keepers of What Is Right and Pure think about our prices or our name. They're losing out. But we're winning by not having them as customers. As I've told the press more than once, the name is an excellent "butthead filter." If someone doesn't have a sense of humor, they're probably not going to consider our products. And that, believe me, is absolutely fine by us.

There will be nothing above Ragnarok and Yggdrasil. Period.

Nor another company making overpriced "audiophile jewelry." Period.

Clear?

Wow...I never read and probably never read about better commitment than this. 

Jun 24, 2014 at 3:00 PM Post #2,324 of 9,484

Not gonna happen.

See the post above about audiophila nervosa increasing exponentially with cost. We're here to have fun, not serve as proxy psychologists. Low-cost products are fun. High-cost products tend to attract the nutters who need 2 hours of phone time per day to help justify their purchase. 

We don't give one single schiit about what some self-appointed Keepers of What Is Right and Pure think about our prices or our name. They're losing out. But we're winning by not having them as customers. As I've told the press more than once, the name is an excellent "butthead filter." If someone doesn't have a sense of humor, they're probably not going to consider our products. And that, believe me, is absolutely fine by us.

There will be nothing above Ragnarok and Yggdrasil. Period.

Nor another company making overpriced "audiophile jewelry." Period.

Clear?

This is why I buy your Schiit.  Plus it sounds pretty good.  :)

Jun 24, 2014 at 8:36 PM Post #2,325 of 9,484
ATTENTION AUDIOPHILES!  Have you been interested in trying a Schiit product, but afraid that your friends will laugh at you for liking something so inexpensive?  I am pleased to announce that I can offer the Schiit Plus service for you.  Add $2500 to the cost of any Schiit product and I will order it for you, repackage it in a plain brown wrapper and ship it to you with a much higher invoice cost.  Heck, since I work in a lab with liquid nitrogen available, I'll even CRYO TREAT the power cable for you, aligning all the audio crystals for sonic goodness, or whatever that's supposed to do.

So act now.  PM me for more details.  :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back