New Schiit Lyr: Hybrid 6W Headphone Amp. Yes. Six. Watts. RMS.
Dec 28, 2010 at 12:54 AM Post #31 of 834
Edition 10 is exactly 32 ohms. Is it specifically designed for the ED10?

Dec 28, 2010 at 12:57 AM Post #33 of 834

Quote:
Edition 10 is exactly 32 ohms. Is it specifically designed for the ED10?

Lots of headphones are 32ohms: Denon D2/5/7000, DT77/88/990, Grado PS/GS1000, etc. At 6WPC, it sounds like the manufacturer had in mind the FOTMs: LCD2 and HE6 which require a lot of power.

[And I don't mean FOTM in a bad way though, lest folks feel I am insulting their pride. I've got LCD2s on order myself]

Dec 28, 2010 at 1:09 AM Post #35 of 834

Quote:
will it use the same wall-wart as the asgard?

Ahem.

Asgard doesn't use a wall-wart.
None of our products do.

(Sorry, engineering hoity-toityness struck. Bottom line: wall-warts can't provide the voltage and current we need.)

Lyr uses two separate internal transformers, together with over 20,000uF total filter capacitance and four separate rails to feed all the components. It don't need no eeex-ternal box, thanks!

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Dec 28, 2010 at 3:14 AM Post #38 of 834

Quote:
Yikes. The Lyr sounds very interesting. It sounds similar a Melos, same tubes, MOSFET output stage, DC servo out, non-inverting, but the Lyr betters the Melos with more power, no-input caps, and probably much cleaner PCB layout.  But Dynamically Adaptive Output Stage?  
confused_face.gif
  Either the topology of the output is single-ended or not.

"It’s a current-sensing adaptive output topology which allows the amplifier to dynamically adjust to the headphone load. The primary benefits are essentially single-ended Class-A operation for high-impedance headphones (300-600 ohms), moving seamlessly to push-pull Class A and finally into Class AB as current needs increase. This provides much higher overall efficiency. It works by sensing the current flowing through the output stage, and dynamically reconfiguring from Class-A single-ended to push-pull Class AB. The result is both pure Class-A sound and the ability to drive virtually any headphone"

Dec 28, 2010 at 4:03 AM Post #39 of 834
:rolls eyes:

But to be fair, the Lyr definitely piques my interest. I'm partial to hybrids with MOSFET output stages.

Dec 28, 2010 at 5:14 AM Post #41 of 834
well Schiit, If I got this I would have to get some hard to drive cans to go with :D

Dec 28, 2010 at 5:58 AM Post #43 of 834
Just got my EF5 and HE5 from Grokit and then this Lyr sets my pants on fire....The EF5 is great with most sensitive cans, especially the ATH AD2000, but I could use a bit more juice for the HE5 just to see what the bejesus these orthos are all about....

Gonna need to sell all my contraband......

Dec 28, 2010 at 8:38 AM Post #44 of 834
Jason...I just heard from some a**hole that the Schiit Lyr is going to be the last headphone amp I'll ever purchase (at least for a year or two). So I can give up this Schiity odsession (sorry) of trying to find the perfect amp for realistic music reproduction for headphones. Is this true?

Dec 28, 2010 at 9:09 AM Post #45 of 834

Was thinking about being without the Lyr for a couple of months at least and thought what better than to start contemplating some tube rolling. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions for changing or improving things... If this is possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back