New Schiit Lyr: Hybrid 6W Headphone Amp. Yes. Six. Watts. RMS.
Dec 27, 2010 at 9:28 PM Post #17 of 834
Was the Lyr voiced for the LCD2 or HE6 mainly? I love the designs of the amps you guys are putting out. I'll have to see some reviews on how it handles the LCD2 before I pull the trigger but this is very tempting. 

Dec 27, 2010 at 10:02 PM Post #18 of 834
Im jsut curious, I was almost expecting $1000+ but the price has me intrigued.  I am on pre-order for the LCD-2's and plan on initially using it with my matrix m-stage.

Curious as to how it meshes with the LCD-2's.  Considering power output.... I am more worried about something going wrong and burning out expensive headphones, or worst destroying my ears.

Another thing that bugs me is it seems to be a standard 3.5mm headphone connector rather than the larger connection.

Dec 27, 2010 at 10:12 PM Post #19 of 834
i hope someone gets to compare this amp with a Cavalli CTH.  Given that by my own experience the CTH has bested amps almost twice its price this would be a great comparison.
For those of you who dont know,  the cth is a compact tube hybrid designed by Cavalli audio. it is DIY only.  you can typically buy one on head-fi for around $250.   It came to me highly recommended as an incredible sounding amp for high end orthos such as Thunderpants, which is what i used it for before i sold my entire rig.

Dec 27, 2010 at 10:15 PM Post #20 of 834
Quote:
Curious as to how it meshes with the LCD-2's.  Considering power output.... I am more worried about something going wrong and burning out expensive headphones, or worst destroying my ears.

just because the amp is on the more powerful side, doesn't increase the chances of "something going wrong." 
the added power is not really a danger, so long as the amp is designed and built well.
the LCD-2s can take a lot of power.

also, added power doesn't mean things will be automatically ear-bleeding loud.
in fact, more power usually means things sound better at lower volumes. 
this is what we are all after:  clear and cohesive sound, all at under 80dB. 
biggrin.gif

Dec 27, 2010 at 10:20 PM Post #21 of 834
Would this amp be useful for easy to drive phones like grados or would it be necessary for me to keep the Asgard for those? I am considering getting this and the he 6 but it would be nice to only need one amp.

Dec 27, 2010 at 10:25 PM Post #22 of 834

Quote:
Would this amp be useful for easy to drive phones like grados or would it be necessary for me to keep the Asgard for those? I am considering getting this and the he 6 but it would be nice to only need one amp.

More current can only make Grados sound better! But there is maybe 5% difference at most between Grados + Asgard and Grados + a super powerful amp like this. I wouldn't bother if I was you. I've used Grados with the uber powerful EF-5 amp, and I couldn't really tell a difference between that and the dynalo circuit.

Dec 27, 2010 at 10:28 PM Post #23 of 834
Thanks for the lesson actually~ But you cant blame me for being concerned from my ignorant point of view :wink:  

Quote:
Quote:

just because the amp is on the more powerful side, doesn't increase the chances of "something going wrong." 
the added power is not really a danger, so long as the amp is designed and built well.
the LCD-2s can take a lot of power.

also, added power doesn't mean things will be automatically ear-bleeding loud.
in fact, more power usually means things sound better at lower volumes. 
this is what we are all after:  clear and cohesive sound, all at under 80dB. 
biggrin.gif

Dec 27, 2010 at 11:36 PM Post #26 of 834
Looking good.  I better start scraping some money together...

Dec 28, 2010 at 12:34 AM Post #28 of 834
Yikes. The Lyr sounds very interesting. It sounds similar a Melos, same tubes, MOSFET output stage, DC servo out, non-inverting, but the Lyr betters the Melos with more power, no-input caps, and probably much cleaner PCB layout.  But Dynamically Adaptive Output Stage?  
confused_face.gif
  Either the topology of the output is single-ended or not.

Dec 28, 2010 at 12:47 AM Post #29 of 834

Hi all. First post. I have been lurking for over 3 months reading everything, well most anyway. I am about to order a set of He6's after pondering for about two months. Thanks to the many experienced members of Head-fi. You have made my ears rich and my wallet poor. I am also committed now to a Lyr. Can't wait to hear the combo.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back