New Schiit Lyr: Hybrid 6W Headphone Amp. Yes. Six. Watts. RMS.
Dec 28, 2010 at 9:35 AM Post #46 of 834
There are pleny of this particular tube type.

My personal favourites are JAN Phillips, they are fairly cheap and have a nice clean sound. Also, Phillips SQs, a bit more ephoric then the JAN but they sound great!

Other notable mentions are bugle boys...

Dec 28, 2010 at 12:29 PM Post #49 of 834
Quote:
um what would happen if i used something like, say, my klipsch custom 3's with this...because the klipsch custom 3's have a 32 ohm independence.....

It's impedance.
You'll probably only be able to listen with very low volume pot positions. Dunno how the volume control is implemented here, but there could be channel imbalance, noise ...

Dec 28, 2010 at 1:09 PM Post #50 of 834
yeah. knew i typed something wrong. 6 watts going into a very small dual armature anywhere past 1/4 volume might blow them out, i figure.

Quote:
Quote:
um what would happen if i used something like, say, my klipsch custom 3's with this...because the klipsch custom 3's have a 32 ohm independence.....

It's impedance.
You'll probably only be able to listen with very low volume pot positions. Dunno how the volume control is implemented here, but there could be channel imbalance, noise ...

Dec 28, 2010 at 1:10 PM Post #51 of 834

let me restate that-a dual armature inside of a iem definitely wont hold up to 6 watts.
Quote:
yeah. knew i typed something wrong. 6 watts going into a very small dual armature anywhere past 1/4 volume might blow them out, i figure.

Quote:
Quote:

It's impedance.

Dec 28, 2010 at 1:45 PM Post #53 of 834

Quote:

Was thinking about being without the Lyr for a couple of months at least and thought what better than to start contemplating some tube rolling. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions for changing or improving things... If this is possible.

How much do you want to spend? Prices for NOS 6DJ8/6922/7308s have gone bonkers over the past few years. You can get current production tubes for much less though. I'm currently using EH6922 gold pins (tend to have a articulate sound) on my Melos. The JJs are warmer.

I have a psychological barrier with buying NOS because of how much I know many of these tubes used to cost just a few years ago. For NOS, the JAN-Philips seem widely available for cheap (though they used to be much cheaper), or just grab the Mullard E88CC's for $250ish a pair and call it a day.

Dec 28, 2010 at 2:26 PM Post #54 of 834
Nice amp! I believe the LCD-2s can handle 15 watts, at which point they are blasting at 133 dbs...
basshead.gif

Dec 28, 2010 at 2:45 PM Post #55 of 834
People who have a preference for black electronics should be able to special order your amps with a black chassis =)

Dec 28, 2010 at 5:23 PM Post #57 of 834
I havent checked yet but I think that my Darkvoice 337 may use the same tubes 6DJ8 and 6922 etc.  That would be very cool if it did. I have some 5693 RCA's and 6S7JWGT's on their way from the US already.  Will these work? 

Does anyone know of the expected burn in time for a hybrid amp?  I know that the tubes will settle down with time but does the solid state change character much over time?  I never bothered monitoring the change in my Audio-GD Fun as it was more of a secondary choice to my Darkvoice 337.  The DV suits my K702's better in my opinion.

Dec 28, 2010 at 6:29 PM Post #58 of 834
This is making me wish I hadn't sold my K340s...

Dec 28, 2010 at 9:12 PM Post #59 of 834

Quote:
Yikes. The Lyr sounds very interesting. It sounds similar a Melos, same tubes, MOSFET output stage, DC servo out, non-inverting, but the Lyr betters the Melos with more power, no-input caps, and probably much cleaner PCB layout.  But Dynamically Adaptive Output Stage?  
confused_face.gif
  Either the topology of the output is single-ended or not.

There are many amps that have those characteristics.  The ECC88/6922/6DJ8 are all very common tubes in audio, and so is the very generic description.

No again to your topology statement.  In 1991 Pass Labs developed a hybrid topology where a push-pull circuit is paralleled with a current source, which biases it into single-ended Class A.  No doubt, a similar topology is used here.  You parallel the P-MOS with the CCS, and voila single-ended.

@ Jason Stoddard, what is the crossover point, more precisely what is quantity of your bias current?  What power levels do you support in class A (can be calculated from the bias current)?

BTW, Jason, very nicely spec'd amp.  I never buy amps, I build my own, but yours sounds like something I would be interested in due to what I perceive to be an excellent cost point.  Do you have other distortion measurements?  I noticed the 0.1% THD @ 1V.  What about higher levels, say 1% THD?  At 40Vpp output, what distortion levels are you looking at?  I'd presume that's in class AB when going into a 32-ohm load.

What is the B+ and the idle current of the tube?  I would love to hear more of the topology of this circuit, ccs and common cathode perhaps?  I understand if it's not feasible to do so.

I think you should make a bridged configuration for this one. :wink:  JMHO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back