NEW - Schiit Asgard 2
Jun 29, 2013 at 1:55 PM Post #692 of 2,741

Quote:
I think we have two great choices in the $500ish DAC category.

You can get the Bifrost Uber USB for $520.
You can get the V-DAC II (which has async USB) and the V-PSU for $510 ($380 + $130).

I have the second option and think it's fantastic.  I think I could be equally as happy with the first option.

Quote:
Why not the Bifrost Uber w/ USB option? It is kind of pricy in this category but at least it's an option...what, a little over $500 I believe for USB application.

The VDAC Power Supply is a waste of money! 
The design is feeble at best...read this technical description that is right on the money!

http://www.tech-diy.com/RegPowerSupplies/MusFidelity/MusicalFidelity_VPSUii.htm

Jun 29, 2013 at 2:39 PM Post #693 of 2,741
I ordered an Asgard 2 yesterday. I'm not too worried about the backorders (as per getting your unit at least), but don't be surprised if they don't get them out for another month.

I had to wait almost two months for my backordered Bifrost to come in. Ordered it mid December and it wasn't shipped until late January. They had some real issues updating the website or giving a shipping time; they delayed the backorders three times. Emailing them wasn't much help either, all I got were vague replies that didn't include a date...

Schiit is good at some things, but they are really bad at keeping touch with consumers when there's backorders. I found it hilarious how (with my BIforst) they said that they were going to ship on a certain date, and then three days after that date (and no unit shipped) they updated website to be a date that was two weeks in the future.

confused_face(1).gif

Jun 29, 2013 at 3:29 PM Post #695 of 2,741
Quote:
Which fits Q701 better? Lyr or Asgard2?
Thanks

Well, according to Shimunogora, the Lyr would be better for up to two months, as thin air does not drive Q701 headphones too well.
I'm glad that he is not too worried about backorders.  But I have had to jump through many hoops to send money to get the Asgard 2 amp.  After one month waiting, I won't say here what I think of the representation of delivery on the Schiit web site.

Jun 29, 2013 at 5:44 PM Post #696 of 2,741
Hey all,

Sorry for the continued backorders. I think we've gotten a pretty good handle on things, with the exception of the Asgard 2.

As far as us being inaccurate as far as expected delivery dates, we've been really, really, really clear about the shipping date being an estimate. As in, guess. As in, might not make it. As in, if you need something right away, you might want to order something else, or something from another company. 

Why is it an estimate, and why is it frequently inaccurate? To understand this, you need to know a few things about the production process. We don't have a line of 50,000 magic fairies hand-carving aluminum and spinning resin into PCBs. We are 100% reliant on our subcontractors, and if they slip, we slip. We base our delivery estimates on theirs. And guess what? Frequently they are wrong. Here's a tiny list of things that can change the shipping date:

1. The metal shop sends us junk chassis. Unfortunately, this is what we have been fighting most lately. They screw up, and it's 8 weeks to get it sorted. Period. 
2. The PCB assembly house says they'll deliver in one week, and it ends up being two. Sometimes things slip.
3. The transformers are late. This has happened plenty of times. Sometimes many weeks late.
4. Some small part holds us up, something even as simple as capacitors or input connectors.
5. Internally, we have to devote more time to a different product, to ensure it's on-time because it's more critical (out of stock longer.)
6. We think the assembly house has begun production, and they are simply shipping first articles. 
7. We screw up and miscalculate.

Whenever we change a delivery date, the estimated shipping date is updated in orders and on the site. So, you'll be emailed with order status whenever something changes. Asking us for more info will result in a curt answer, because we don't know anymore than you do. 

The current run of Asgard 2 has been hung up for metal, and for boards. Boards are supposed to start coming in next week. Of course, that can change. 

Hopefully this helps clear things up.

All the best,
Jason

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Jun 29, 2013 at 6:00 PM Post #698 of 2,741
Thanks for laying that out nice an clear, Jason.  Should help folks understand the process and the reasons.  I deal with the same issues every day, as well, so I know where you are coming from.  

Keep on keepin' on!

Jun 29, 2013 at 6:19 PM Post #699 of 2,741
I can guarantee that I know about how trying to run a company can be hell.  Sometimes customers just need a indicator that they are appreciated, and they will allow much leeway. 

Jason, your relaying this information is actually more than I expected, but I am pretty sure it will eliminate the fanciful worries that a customer could dream up if they are given no information to go on.

I noted the word "estimated" before placing my order, and now that i've been given this info, I feel more comfortable with it being 100% out of estimate per my order.  Thank you for your answer.

Jun 29, 2013 at 7:42 PM Post #701 of 2,741
OK- my little rant..... I waited for mine and I love my Asgard-2. Life goes on....

What I asked myself was....

Am I able to listen to music, listen to my HP's without the amp? Yes.  

Does the ability to enjoy life depend on an Asgard-2? Great Gods, I hope not. I managed to live in the interim.

They are a unique small American company trying to do the right thing and provide a great product. The have high standards....good thing, right?

It's worth the wait.

Jun 29, 2013 at 7:52 PM Post #702 of 2,741
Quote:
We don't have a line of 50,000 magic fairies hand-carving aluminum and spinning resin into PCBs. We are 100% reliant on our subcontractors, and if they slip, we slip. We base our delivery estimates on theirs. And guess what? Frequently they are wrong. Here's a tiny list of things that can change the shipping date:

Now this may be the alcohol talking... but when you say "magical fairies", how magical are we talking about here? True Blood magical or Disney magical?  All kidding aside, I appreciate your post and the time you guys put into answering our questions.  As annoying as we can be, it means so much when you reply to our posts even if it's just to clear up some things.  Thank you for the time you and your company put into your products.  You have truly earned your wonderful reputation.

P.S.  If I see any more spelling/grammatical mistakes on your site, I'll let you know.

Jun 29, 2013 at 8:08 PM Post #704 of 2,741
I believe you meant to to put a question mark after "Disney magical."  Also, I'm sure you meant to use "any more" instead of "anymore" in addition to putting a comma between "site" and "I'll."

tongue_smile.gif

Quote:
Now this may be the alcohol talking... but when you say "magical fairies", how magical are we talking about here? True Blood magical or Disney magical.  All kidding aside, I appreciate your post and the time you guys put into answering our questions.  As annoying as we can be, it means so much when you reply to our posts even if it's just to clear up some things.  Thank you for the time you and your company put into your products.  You have truly earned your wonderful reputation.

P.S.  If I see anymore spelling/grammatical mistakes on your site I'll let you know.

Jun 29, 2013 at 8:24 PM Post #705 of 2,741
Ah, boy! Humor is a good thing. Life's too short people.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back