NEW - Schiit Asgard 2
Jun 27, 2013 at 1:51 AM Post #676 of 2,741
After a lengthy and thought out personal deliberation (translation : rationalizing/convincing myself 
devil_face.gif
) I've decided to go ahead and get the A2.  I sent an email to Jason asking him if the humming problem which was mentioned by a few members on different posts was finally fixed; I also asked him if this problem was mainly related to a few amps from the initial batch or two in production.  Awaiting his answers.  I won't be ordering before July 5th since I'm presently on holidays & can't be home for delivery.  When I do receive it (via FedEx) I'll be sure to share my listening impressions with members on this thread.  It'll be my first review so "there goes nothing", "break a leg" & all that kind of stuff. 
bigsmile_face.gif
  Again, thanks to all of you who have given me feedback/your impressions which helped me decide in the end.  I'm sure it will turn out to be a good decision. 
L3000.gif

Jun 27, 2013 at 8:34 AM Post #677 of 2,741
So has anyone gotten shipping notice recently? I ordered May 28th (back when it was supposed to ship mid-June) and my order's still listed as Asgard 2 Backorder.

Jun 27, 2013 at 9:43 AM Post #678 of 2,741
Quote:

I agree.  I read the InnerFidelity article about the difference between the 580, 600, and 650, and I believe they made a good point that people were so used to Grado and Beyer headphones that when they went to the Sennheiser HD 580 and HD 6xx, they felt like they were a 'darker' headphone.

My HD 650 arrived shortly after my post :p.  I've been listening to them for the past 3 hours now and I have to say I'm impressed.  Obviously I've reduced my bias between both pairs as I didn't pay an outrageous price for either one, but so far I'm liking the HD 650 more.  The seller I bought them from said he had put about 100 hours into them, so they're about on par with the usage I've put into the HD 600.

I don't feel either pair are 'veiled'.  The HD 650 do sound 'darker' as they do have a bit more bass (which is VERY nice) and a bit more mid range to them.  I feel the bass colors the sound, but not so much that you wouldn't still consider them as 'serious'.  They're definitely more 'fun' than the HD 600, and as a result, makes them a better 'all-rounder' (IMO).  As I stated about the HD 600, the treble feels natural to the point where cymbals are scary-accurate sounding.  Obviously the bass is still not at DT 770 proportions, but the extension is very nice and welcome.  Enough so that after I've adjusted to the sound, might just sell the LE 32s I have.  

Let me know if I've left anything out :).  I'm gonna give my ears a rest so that I can let the experience resonate a bit 
rolleyes.gif

I too, kinda thought the Asgard 2 had a somewhat 'narrow' sound stage, but I never had an A1 to compare.  It seems to be appropriately distributed.  If a track makes use of positioning, it points it out.  If not, it just sounds 'normal'.

Pez, glad you're enjoying the HD650
L3000.gif
 I agree with your statement about them being more fun and a better all rounder because that is exactly there main characteristic/quality.  You also point out that you have been listening to them for 3 hours straight = the HD650's other great quality : non fatiguing.  I read somewhere on Head-fi (can't remember which thread) a member stating that he found that one of the problems with more expensive elite headphones is that they have a specific sound signature ie. the HD800's signature is it's emphasis on excessive treble IMHO.  I agree with those that point out that the HD800 needs a specific amplifier/DAC to bring out it's best but that can become an expensive & sometimes non ending quest, again IMHO but also from experience.  The HD650 will always do well with an amplifier/DAC combination that meets it's high impedance demand; that's when the HD650's magic all round sound signature reveals itself. Previously hidden or subdued little background mid-range instrumental sounds reveal themselves, pop out of "left field" so to speak in all clarity & that's when the grin appears on the listener's face & you realize that this is indeed a special headphone.  A couple of years ago I bought the HD800 & naively sold my first pair of HD650.  After a while I realized that I truly missed my HD650s & bought them again & eventually got tired of it's more expensive sibling & got rid of them = went full circle & now am quite happy with what I have.
k701smile.gif
 Again to all followers of this thread & for the last time I apologize for writing about the HD650 on this thread & will refrain from doing so from now on. I agree with your observations pez which seem to indicate that this pairing (HD650 & A2) appears to have excellent synergy resulting in a good listening experience at a reasonable price which in the end is what this post should be/is all about.
beerchug.gif

Jun 27, 2013 at 10:50 AM Post #679 of 2,741
Quote:
Pez, glad you're enjoying the HD650
L3000.gif
 I agree with your statement about them being more fun and a better all rounder because that is exactly there main characteristic/quality.  You also point out that you have been listening to them for 3 hours straight = the HD650's other great quality : non fatiguing.  I read somewhere on Head-fi (can't remember which thread) a member stating that he found that one of the problems with more expensive elite headphones is that they have a specific sound signature ie. the HD800's signature is it's emphasis on excessive treble IMHO.  I agree with those that point out that the HD800 needs a specific amplifier/DAC to bring out it's best but that can become an expensive & sometimes non ending quest, again IMHO but also from experience.  The HD650 will always do well with an amplifier/DAC combination that meets it's high impedance demand; that's when the HD650's magic all round sound signature reveals itself. Previously hidden or subdued little background mid-range instrumental sounds reveal themselves, pop out of "left field" so to speak in all clarity & that's when the grin appears on the listener's face & you realize that this is indeed a special headphone.  A couple of years ago I bought the HD800 & naively sold my first pair of HD650.  After a while I realized that I truly missed my HD650s & bought them again & eventually got tired of it's more expensive sibling & got rid of them = went full circle & now am quite happy with what I have.
k701smile.gif
 Again to all followers of this thread & for the last time I apologize for writing about the HD650 on this thread & will refrain from doing so from now on. I agree with your observations pez which seem to indicate that this pairing (HD650 & A2) appears to have excellent synergy resulting in a good listening experience at a reasonable price which in the end is what this post should be/is all about.
beerchug.gif

Indeed you are correct.  A couple more observations:

-The added bass from the HD 650 is just right.  Anymore would cause an uncomfortable bloat, and less would make it a mid-centric HD 600.
-I notice it's slightly accentuated mid response a lot in rap songs, or songs where vocals are more or less 'boosted'.

Jun 27, 2013 at 1:39 PM Post #681 of 2,741
Quote:
Indeed you are correct.  A couple more observations:
-The added bass from the HD 650 is just right.  Anymore would cause an uncomfortable bloat, and less would make it a mid-centric HD 600.
-I notice it's slightly accentuated mid response a lot in rap songs, or songs where vocals are more or less 'boosted'.

What do you think is the better synergy w the A2: the HD600 or HD650? 

Jun 27, 2013 at 1:59 PM Post #682 of 2,741
The A2 is very true the source.  It's very neutral, with good bass response and an ever-so-slightly rolled off top end.  It won't change the sound signature of either the HD600 or HD650 very much.  The bottom line is which of those headphones you prefer more.  Pick that one.  The A2 will do it justice.

Quote:

Jun 27, 2013 at 3:01 PM Post #683 of 2,741
Quote:

I've owned both the Asgard and Asgard 2, and I've found that both amps match very well with every Sennheiser headphone I've tried with them (I've tried the HD520 II, HD530 II, HD598, HD650, and HD800).  Haven't tried the HD600, so I can't say for sure, but I don't think you can go wrong with an Asgard-Sennheiser pairing.

Jun 27, 2013 at 4:54 PM Post #684 of 2,741
For the european head-fiers: the Asgard 2 is in stock at www.audiomagic.eu.
I'll get a review unit soon and the bifrost DAC aswell. I currently have a Xonar STX and the Xonar Essence One DAC/AMP (which i love, very underrated here...). This will be very interesting.

Jun 27, 2013 at 5:10 PM Post #686 of 2,741
This is true, and it's not like I'm upset :)

Just wanted to see if anyone else had gotten theirs before contacting Schiit to make sure my order hadn't been forgotten or anything.

Jun 28, 2013 at 1:29 AM Post #687 of 2,741
Quote:

Quote:
The A2 is very true the source.  It's very neutral, with good bass response and an ever-so-slightly rolled off top end.  It won't change the sound signature of either the HD600 or HD650 very much.  The bottom line is which of those headphones you prefer more.  Pick that one.  The A2 will do it justice.

Hodgjy is pretty spot on, but I still have a bias that the A2 is a somewhat bright amp.  Not overly so, but enough to notice on certain headphones.

Of course, my bias in this case is with the HD 650 as I'm enjoying them more, but from a somewhat unbiased point of view:

The HD 600 is the more analytical, cold sounding of the pair.  It makes me think, quite literally: "If people call the HD 600 and 650 'warm' and 'dark' sounding, and the AKG K701 'neutral' in comparison, then I'd absolutely hate the AKGs."  So if a more analytical sound is what you want, the HD 600 is better for you.  If you want a slightly warmer sound, less rolled off bottom end (with a nice bit of punch, mind you), and just a headphone you can throw anything at, the HD 650 are for you.  The A2 does great with both headphones and I find the synergy to be fantastic with both pairs.  It just literally boils down to preference.  I honestly would have probably never tried the HD 650s before upgrading again had I not come across the deal that I did.  Needless to say, I'm very glad I did.

Jun 28, 2013 at 10:44 AM Post #688 of 2,741
Quote:
So has anyone gotten shipping notice recently? I ordered May 28th (back when it was supposed to ship mid-June) and my order's still listed as Asgard 2 Backorder.

I ordered mine last week and the site says it will ship by the end of this month.  After reading all the HD650+A2 talk I'm even more psyched to hear this amp on my 650s!

Jun 28, 2013 at 1:11 PM Post #689 of 2,741
It's one of the best pairing that I've had with any amp/headphone. The A2 adds a touch of "resolve" that just bring out the best in the 650's. It's an incredible bargain for hd650 owners. 

Jun 28, 2013 at 1:19 PM Post #690 of 2,741
It's one of the best pairing that I've had with any amp/headphone. The A2 adds a touch of "resolve" that just bring out the best in the 650's. It's an incredible bargain for hd650 owners. 

This. Considering together you're looking at $650, and entry level tube amps kinds come in at that point, it is a 'bargain'.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back