NEW - Schiit Asgard 2
May 14, 2013 at 3:44 PM Post #511 of 2,741
I keep my A2 tucked under a computer monitor, so I can access the face of it from under the front of the monitor (next to the monitor pedestal). Surprisingly, barely a trace of the considerable heat generated by the A2 can be felt on the bottom or back of the monitor, even though the monitor bottom is only about half an inch above the A2 faceplate. The A2's top vent is mainly behind the back of the monitor, though, with air to breathe. Point is, the A2 is as hot to the touch as everyone says it is, and deserves Schiit's cautionary commentary about it, but all that said, it actually dissipates the heat quite effectively. 

By the way, after only a brief confirmation-of-operation listening session with my HD-650s, the A2 was obviously superior to the integrated headphone amp in my Meridian Explorer (v2 with reduced output impedance). Not that that'll surprise anyone, or that the ME amp section is poor, but I found the confirmation somewhat gratifying. So far I'm very happy with the A2, fed by the ME, driving Airmotiv 4s, with a mix of file types and genres from lossy to 192 kHz. I'll get some quality time with the HD-650s at some point, but transfixed with the speakers for now. 

One other minor observation so far is that the sound is so "clean" that I don't realize how loud I have the music until I get a little fatigued and turn it down. That's the point I realize, whoa, that was pretty loud. Kind of like boiling a frog on the way up. Point here is, distortion or sibilance or some other harshness is not the factor limiting listening volume for any length of time. 

May 14, 2013 at 6:15 PM Post #512 of 2,741
My schiit is due in tomorrow!! A day early. 
size]

May 14, 2013 at 7:07 PM Post #513 of 2,741
Quote:
My schiit is due in tomorrow!! A day early. 
size]

Please do let us know how the A2 does with the HD650!

I find myself more and more grabbing my HD650 for the simple fact that it is so forgiving and easy to listen to. I only wish it had more impact and sense of dynamism - something I heard from the HD650 on the Lyr at the local HeadFi meet a few weeks back. But I don't own the Lyr, and my current amp doesn't do the HD650 justice. So I'm considering the A2, and I look forward to your impressions!

May 14, 2013 at 7:31 PM Post #514 of 2,741
I'll certainly share my experience once I've had some quality evaluation time. I'm excited about the combo of A2 with the uber upgrade on the bifrost. It should be great bang for the buck and deliver some serious quality. 
size]

May 14, 2013 at 10:09 PM Post #515 of 2,741
Quote:
I'll certainly share my experience once I've had some quality evaluation time. I'm excited about the combo of A2 with the uber upgrade on the bifrost. It should be great bang for the buck and deliver some serious quality. 
size]

I'm excited to hear about it! My next upgrade is an uber Schiit Bifrost and I'm already loving my A2!! I think it's the greatest deal in the history of mankind as far as headphone amplifiers go. I'm glad to know that we are actually receiving the new and improved A2 compared to the one that had issues in February when it was released. I know I didn't receive a defective unit because there is no transformer hum that people were complaining about with the first release of the A2. I'd love to see an A/B comparison between the Bifrost and another DAC if you currently own one. I've been shopping around for DACs and everyone's been telling me that this Schiit is some endgame material under $1000(which I plan to never exceed in my college life). It's between the Music Fidelity V-DACmkII, the uber Schiit Bifrost, or the Cambridge Audio DACMagic. I think I'm willing to spend the extra $100 and it would probably come out to around $460 plus tax without the USB input

May 14, 2013 at 10:12 PM Post #516 of 2,741
I have to say, I'm beginning to really like my Grado 225i with the Asgard-2 and that is without a DAC. I've mostly listened to CD's and a little streaming from an Internet streaming receiver.

I agree with the comments about the clean sound. I will say they sound better connected directly to my dedicated CD player than to my receiver. The CD player sounds warmer, richer, more full bodied. Both Onkyo products. I assume the DAC is better quality than the receiver.

This unit definitely has kicked up the SQ in a set of cans I enjoy. I'm mostly a rock/metal guy, but I've enjoyed Miles Davis to Mozart to Tool. Tonight I'm really enjoying the little details often missed listening to Tool's Lateralus.

Now, I'm wondering how great a Bifrost with the uber upgrade would sound.

May 14, 2013 at 10:17 PM Post #517 of 2,741
Mine is now looking like it will be arriving tomorrow as well. Can't wait!

May 15, 2013 at 1:47 PM Post #518 of 2,741
Quote:
I have to say, I'm beginning to really like my Grado 225i with the Asgard-2 and that is without a DAC. I've mostly listened to CD's and a little streaming from an Internet streaming receiver.

I agree with the comments about the clean sound. I will say they sound better connected directly to my dedicated CD player than to my receiver. The CD player sounds warmer, richer, more full bodied. Both Onkyo products. I assume the DAC is better quality than the receiver.

This unit definitely has kicked up the SQ in a set of cans I enjoy. I'm mostly a rock/metal guy, but I've enjoyed Miles Davis to Mozart to Tool. Tonight I'm really enjoying the little details often missed listening to Tool's Lateralus.

Now, I'm wondering how great a Bifrost with the uber upgrade would sound.

I've been listening to the DT880 250 ohm with my A2 and I have Tool's FLAC discography it's quite marvelous to listen to the drums and double bass because the mid-bass is presented so accurately you can hear it panning around like it's supposed to. the song Schism is a journey through sound as well, you have to listen to that song for sure!!

May 15, 2013 at 2:58 PM Post #519 of 2,741
Quote:
I've been listening to the DT880 250 ohm with my A2 and I have Tool's FLAC discography it's quite marvelous to listen to the drums and double bass because the mid-bass is presented so accurately you can hear it panning around like it's supposed to. the song Schism is a journey through sound as well, you have to listen to that song for sure!!

A terrific album. I recommend to non metal/hard rockers...anyone who likes creative, a little wierd, progish rock should give it a try. My wife even likes the mellower parts. There are moments of heaviosity, though!

May 15, 2013 at 4:21 PM Post #520 of 2,741
What do we think about Dt990 600 vs the dt880 600 ohm with A2? 

May 15, 2013 at 9:06 PM Post #521 of 2,741
Quote:
Had it for a little while now and really enjoying my A2.  I'd say equally impressive as a preamp as it is as a headphone amp.  As previously stated I don't have much prior headphone amp experience but as both an amp and a preamp I've been impressed by its lower extension, channel separation, and ability to really allow the dynamic range of recordings to come through.  I am a little curious about the glowy bits I can see through the grating.  At least to my (very much uninformed) mind, glowing is usually reserved for gear of the tubed variety.  Anyone know what these guys are?  Is this just a heat related byproduct (it is a toasty little bugger)?  Anyhow, kudos to Jason and team Schiit on a fine piece of kit.

Not tube-like (HOT component) glow... Surface mount LED's from the look of it.  Nice touch :)

May 16, 2013 at 12:25 AM Post #523 of 2,741
The amber LEDs are actually used as a voltage reference in a lot of our designs--in the case of the Asgard 2, the front-end current source, and in the case of the Lyr, the front-end current source and the bias reference for the dynamically adaptive output stage.

Hmm, actually I think the only products we make without amber LEDs are Modi and Valhalla...

Why LEDs? Well, usually they're lower noise than zeners (usually), and, well...they look cool.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
May 16, 2013 at 9:25 AM Post #524 of 2,741
Only had part of yesterday, so far so good. I used it mostly as a preamp for my new Monoprice speakers, which are a fantastic value for $165. Today I plan to spend more time with them and my Beyer 990 250 ohm. Bear in mind right now my only source is my old M-audio Transit. I am saving my pennies for a Bifrost next

Users who are viewing this thread

Back