NEW - Schiit Asgard 2
May 12, 2013 at 8:54 PM Post #481 of 2,741
Quote:
First, the volume should always be down all the way when turning your gear on/off.
(Generally no need to unplug anything.)

Second, if I'm understanding your post correctly - no, it is not normal.

+1 here, I have gotten into the habit of turning all volume pots down before turning things on or off or switching sources or plugging or un-plugging anything.  Just kinda makes sense IMHO...
blink.gif

May 13, 2013 at 4:54 AM Post #483 of 2,741
Quote:
i just got my asgard 2, when i turn it on there is a very loud noise on speakers and headphones (and a softer one when i turn it off). is this normal? should i unplug everything before turning on/off the amp or is safe?.
actually i tested it a little more, and i can hear the relay when i turn it on, but i cannot hear it when i turn it on, so probably the delay is too short when powering on?

Quote:
First, the volume should always be down all the way when turning your gear on/off.
(Generally no need to unplug anything.)

Second, if I'm understanding your post correctly - no, it is not normal.

Quote:
the volume was all the way down.

So IME there should be no "loud noise" when turning the amp on or off.

I recommend not using your A2 until you get some guidance from Schiit whom
I'd contact ASAP.

May 13, 2013 at 9:33 AM Post #484 of 2,741
Both the Asgard 1 and Asgard 2 have power on/off thump.  It is normal.  If you feel that yours is excessive, contact Schiit.  Otherwise, do the power sequence I posted earlier.  That's how the audio world beyond iPods and home theaters in boxes operates.

Quote:

So IME there should be no "loud noise" when turning the amp on or off.

I recommend not using your A2 until you get some guidance from Schiit whom
I'd contact ASAP.

May 13, 2013 at 9:53 AM Post #485 of 2,741
To clarify: Asgard 2 has a muting relay which delays turn-on and mutes immediately at turn-off to protect against large transients. It's not unusual to hear a small to moderate click or pop as the relay operates, but it shouldn't be loud. If you're having problems, please contact us and we'll get it taken care of. 

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
May 13, 2013 at 1:06 PM Post #486 of 2,741
I'm just eagerly waiting for Headphone bar to stock the new Schiit (Asgard 2 and Uberfrost).

May 13, 2013 at 7:32 PM Post #487 of 2,741
I just received my Asgard 2 today. I had a short ten minute listening session soon as I grabbed it out of the box. There is no transformer hum whatsoever, the noise floor is low and it started to smooth out some of the pops and hisses from some of my older FLAC recordings that my DT880 loves to bring out. Comfortable listening level with Windows volume set at 50%, was around 1o clock or 2 oclock(slightly past halfway). I currently do not have a standalone DAC I'm just running RCA's from my HT Omega Claro PC soundcard which has 24-bit 192khz capability.

Overall I'm very impressed from the out of box experience. I've heard solid states don't take any burn in time and it seems to me like this is the case from the first listen. The amplifier doesn't really seem to add any coloration to the sound but it helped bring out the midrange and smooth out the detail in the high frequency range.

My headphone is a DT880 250 ohm. I'd be interested to hear the 600 ohm version and compare if anyone has tried it yet. I feel like the Asgard 2 compliments my DT880s as they are supposed to sound detailed, analytical, neutral, and bright in the high range. I noticed a slight increase in low frequency bass texture but not really an increase in actual quantity.

This is just my experience from the first 10 minutes I had the chance to open the box and plug it in before heading out to work on my research paper(ya I'm a poor college kid on a Schiit budget currently enrolled at SDSU). I will give more opinions as I get the chance to listen to it more but so far very impressed and also stoked that there is no transformer hum that many people complained about.

May 13, 2013 at 7:43 PM Post #488 of 2,741
I am thinking of pairing Bifrost + Asgard 2 with my Beyer T1. What I heard the amp is warmer than both Valhalla and Lyr (read the review by Mike from Headfonia, see link below). There is no mention of how T1 will pair with Asagrd. Many claim that Lyr + T1 is a superb combination. While T1 is a bright-ish headphones, it is still warmer than my AKG K550 with significantly better bass performance. Is the Asagrd, esp'ly the more recent Asgard 2, sufficient to drive T1?
Anyone wants to chime in?

http://www.headfonia.com/triple-schiit-asgaard-valhalla-and-lyr/

May 13, 2013 at 7:50 PM Post #490 of 2,741
If the Asgard 2 is actually warm and smooth sounding, it would seem to be a great companion to Beyers and other analytical headphones. I'll probably place my order soon, but I'd like some more impressions first, especially with Beyers.

May 13, 2013 at 7:54 PM Post #491 of 2,741
Quote:
I am thinking of pairing Bifrost + Asgard 2 with my Beyer T1. What I heard the amp is warmer than both Valhalla and Lyr (read the review by Mike from Headfonia, see link below). There is no mention of how T1 will pair with Asagrd. Many claim that Lyr + T1 is a superb combination. While T1 is a bright-ish headphones, it is still warmer than my AKG K550 with significantly better bass performance. Is the Asagrd, esp'ly the more recent Asgard 2, sufficient to drive T1?

That's a two year old article and does not review the A2 FYI. 

May 13, 2013 at 8:09 PM Post #492 of 2,741
Quote:
If the Asgard 2 is actually warm and smooth sounding, it would seem to be a great companion to Beyers and other analytical headphones. I'll probably place my order soon, but I'd like some more impressions first, especially with Beyers.

I definitely feel like it made my DT880s sound less dry and opened up the soundstage quite a bit as the decay of instruments was more accurate and detailed with less roll-off. Plus, the pre-outs are a great addition because I run M-audio bx5ad2 monitors on my desktop. My next investment is a Schiit Bifrost to make my Schiit stack :] for $250 you will not find anything better I guarantee it. I was considering buying a used Headamp Gilmore Lite before I figured out that the Asgard 2 was coming out earlier this year. Thank you so much Jason and everyone else at Schiit!!

May 13, 2013 at 8:16 PM Post #493 of 2,741
I'll be comparing it with my Little Dot MK IV SE if/when I get my Asgard 2.

May 13, 2013 at 9:50 PM Post #494 of 2,741

For anyone looking at these amps, the 6 Moons review(s) are a great read. Lots of great info from Schiit about their development, and Srajan had all three over about a year in 2011-2012. (first generation of course) Few of us have that opportunity. He spends lots of time on how they sound with specific cans and music. Such descriptions are way more valuable (and fun) than just knowing if a reviewer "likes" a specific product.

May 13, 2013 at 10:45 PM Post #495 of 2,741
Had it for a little while now and really enjoying my A2.  I'd say equally impressive as a preamp as it is as a headphone amp.  As previously stated I don't have much prior headphone amp experience but as both an amp and a preamp I've been impressed by its lower extension, channel separation, and ability to really allow the dynamic range of recordings to come through.  I am a little curious about the glowy bits I can see through the grating.  At least to my (very much uninformed) mind, glowing is usually reserved for gear of the tubed variety.  Anyone know what these guys are?  Is this just a heat related byproduct (it is a toasty little bugger)?  Anyhow, kudos to Jason and team Schiit on a fine piece of kit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back