NEW - Schiit Asgard 2
May 10, 2013 at 6:08 PM Post #466 of 2,741
Quote:

You didn't misunderstand. A switch box would be more practical, but you'd have to get a rather premium one. The less expensive switch boxes are in my experience rather terrible, quality-wise. Thin wires and a cheap switch will pretty much nullify the money you invested in the DAC...

Quote:
Not only poor quality, they add quite a bit of noise on the line on the ones I have tried.

I just order a switch box from Decware ($279 for the box + $50 optional volume control) we'll see how it does.

May 10, 2013 at 6:17 PM Post #467 of 2,741
Bleh my date slipped from 15-16th, drat!

May 10, 2013 at 7:16 PM Post #469 of 2,741
Quote:

I just order a switch box from Decware ($279 for the box + $50 optional volume control) we'll see how it does.

I'd be interested to hear how a better quality switch box like that performs. Though I cannot get what you want the volume control for. Do you plan on connecting the switch box directly to a power amplifier or powered speakers?

May 10, 2013 at 8:32 PM Post #470 of 2,741
It will start out as a one pre-amp into multiple headphone amps switch box.  I want the volume control so I can turn it down before switching to the different amps.  It may eventually be a multiple sources into one amp switch but not for a while I think, or maybe there is another switch needed in the future???  We'll see how much I like this one.  Next one might not have the volume control.

May 10, 2013 at 8:36 PM Post #471 of 2,741
I have a question for you Asgard 2 owners - I have a 27" iMac and a pair of Yamaha HS80M powered monitors, so my desk is pretty crowded.  I currently have a Bifrost and an Asgard 2 that should be arriving today.  I currently have the Bifrost under my iMac on one side and the perfect space to put the Asgard would be under my iMac on the other side.  But from what I've heard the Asgard runs pretty hot and the iMac intake vents are underneath the iMac which would be right above the rising heat from the Asgard.  Do you think it would be too hot to place there?  I could raise the iMac a bit to give it more room, but don't want to fry anything.  Or should I rearrange things and find a spot to squeeze it in?  What do you think?

May 10, 2013 at 8:48 PM Post #472 of 2,741
Quote:
I have a question for you Asgard 2 owners - I have a 27" iMac and a pair of Yamaha HS80M powered monitors, so my desk is pretty crowded.  I currently have a Bifrost and an Asgard 2 that should be arriving today.  I currently have the Bifrost under my iMac on one side and the perfect space to put the Asgard would be under my iMac on the other side.  But from what I've heard the Asgard runs pretty hot and the iMac intake vents are underneath the iMac which would be right above the rising heat from the Asgard.  Do you think it would be too hot to place there?  I could raise the iMac a bit to give it more room, but don't want to fry anything.  Or should I rearrange things and find a spot to squeeze it in?  What do you think?

Probably best to re-arrange.  I don't think it would be a good idea to pre-heat the air going into the iMac.  Also you don't want to limit the air flow through the Asgard 2 either.

May 10, 2013 at 10:17 PM Post #473 of 2,741
Quote:
Probably best to re-arrange.  I don't think it would be a good idea to pre-heat the air going into the iMac.  Also you don't want to limit the air flow through the Asgard 2 either.

My Asgard came about 5 minutes after I posted that question.  It's been running for about an hour and it is really hot (even the volume knob is hot!).  Definitely not going to put it under the iMac.

May 11, 2013 at 1:09 AM Post #474 of 2,741
Quote:

The right side of my A2 is nearly hot enough to light Marlboros.

May 11, 2013 at 10:35 PM Post #475 of 2,741
... Greetings, fellow Schiit Heads!

Should pick up my Asgard II from the PO on Monday... Looking forward to it :)

May 12, 2013 at 4:42 AM Post #476 of 2,741
i just got my asgard 2, when i turn it on there is a very loud noise on speakers and headphones (and a softer one when i turn it off). is this normal? should i unplug everything before turning on/off the amp or is safe?.
actually i tested it a little more, and i can hear the relay when i turn it on, but i cannot hear it when i turn it on, so probably the delay is too short when powering on?

May 12, 2013 at 11:43 AM Post #478 of 2,741
When using headphones = turn on amp, plug in headphones.  Unplug headphones, turn off amp.

When using speakers, turn on Asgard then turn on speaker amplifier.  Turn off speaker amplifier then turn off Asgard.

Nothing is wrong with your amp.  That's just how amps are.

Quote:
i just got my asgard 2, when i turn it on there is a very loud noise on speakers and headphones (and a softer one when i turn it off). is this normal? should i unplug everything before turning on/off the amp or is safe?.
actually i tested it a little more, and i can hear the relay when i turn it on, but i cannot hear it when i turn it on, so probably the delay is too short when powering on?

May 12, 2013 at 7:48 PM Post #479 of 2,741
Quote:
When using headphones = turn on amp, plug in headphones.  Unplug headphones, turn off amp.

When using speakers, turn on Asgard then turn on speaker amplifier.  Turn off speaker amplifier then turn off Asgard.

Nothing is wrong with your amp.  That's just how amps are.

Why turn on the Asgard when listening to speakers (unless it's being used as a preamp for the speaker amp...)

May 12, 2013 at 7:53 PM Post #480 of 2,741
Quote:

First, the volume should always be down all the way when turning your gear on/off.
(Generally no need to unplug anything.)

Second, if I'm understanding your post correctly - no, it is not normal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back