NEW - Schiit Asgard 2
Aug 24, 2017 at 10:39 AM Post #2,521 of 2,741
I'm pretty miffed that I have to buy another power unit just to use a $250 amp properly. Doesn't make sense.
Check your source. Did you unplug the input to the Asgard 2 and see what happens? Try another source/input. I would think that a power conditioner is not the answer as the noise affects only one channel.

Aug 24, 2017 at 8:40 PM Post #2,522 of 2,741
Check your source. Did you unplug the input to the Asgard 2 and see what happens? Try another source/input. I would think that a power conditioner is not the answer as the noise affects only one channel.

On my unit, just turning ON the Asgard 2 without any inputs attached to it gets that cricketing noise on high gain. On low gain, noise almost disappears. If I plugged it in to a very clean power source such as a dedicated power line, the noise disappears no matter what gain setting you use.

Aug 26, 2017 at 9:19 PM Post #2,523 of 2,741
Hello there,

My office setup is very similar (Mac vs Windows plus I have a Wyrd):

iMac + JRiver MC 22 > PYST USB cable > Wyrd > PYST USB Cable > Bifrost 4490 > PYST RCA cables > Asgard 2 > AKG K712 Pro

I'm not having any issues with bass.

Did you get this figured out?

No. I'm sending it back in the beginning of september. I was really wondering why this had no bass. Many songs sounded unlistenable.
I have been using solely my Fireye DA -portable DAC/amp.

Aug 28, 2017 at 8:40 PM Post #2,524 of 2,741
On my unit, just turning ON the Asgard 2 without any inputs attached to it gets that cricketing noise on high gain. On low gain, noise almost disappears. If I plugged it in to a very clean power source such as a dedicated power line, the noise disappears no matter what gain setting you use.
What do you mean by "dedicated power line?" Do you mean a single mains socket without other devices plugged in?

Aug 28, 2017 at 8:46 PM Post #2,525 of 2,741
Last edited:
Sep 18, 2017 at 4:41 AM Post #2,528 of 2,741
Hello there,

My office setup is very similar (Mac vs Windows plus I have a Wyrd):

iMac + JRiver MC 22 > PYST USB cable > Wyrd > PYST USB Cable > Bifrost 4490 > PYST RCA cables > Asgard 2 > AKG K712 Pro

I'm not having any issues with bass.

Did you get this figured out?

No, I have not got this figured out.

I have both Asgard 2 and Lyr 2 amps and the Lyr 2 has no bass either.

Maybe I should connect the amp to a CD-player.
Could that solve the problem?

What is that Wyrd thing you got in your setup?

Jan 2, 2018 at 12:18 AM Post #2,530 of 2,741
Hello there,

The Wyrd ($99) is a USB decrapifier:
http://www.schiit.com/products/wyrd

Best,
James

This is your system:

iMac+JRMC
--PYST USB--> Wyrd --PYST USB--> Bifrost 4490 --PYST RCA--> Asgard 2 --Stock Cable--> AKG 712 Pro

You are using AKG K712 Pro stock cable which is connected to the Asgard 2.
Are you using some other adapter than the one which comes with the AKG K712 Pros?
And I mean the smaller 1/8 inch to larger 1/4 inch headphone plug adapter.

Jan 2, 2018 at 10:59 AM Post #2,531 of 2,741
This is your system:

iMac+JRMC
--PYST USB--> Wyrd --PYST USB--> Bifrost 4490 --PYST RCA--> Asgard 2 --Stock Cable--> AKG 712 Pro

You are using AKG K712 Pro stock cable which is connected to the Asgard 2.
Are you using some other adapter than the one which comes with the AKG K712 Pros?
And I mean the smaller 1/8 inch to larger 1/4 inch headphone plug adapter.

Hi there, I am using the gold-colored 1/8" to 1/4" adapter that came with the AKG 712 Pro headphones. Best, James

Jan 7, 2018 at 1:42 AM Post #2,532 of 2,741
No, I have not got this figured out.

I have both Asgard 2 and Lyr 2 amps and the Lyr 2 has no bass either.

Maybe I should connect the amp to a CD-player.
Could that solve the problem?

What is that Wyrd thing you got in your setup?

Weird.. I've got a Mimby+A2 on a bass modded K702 and the bass reaches so low I'm constantly shocked. The Mimby is usually on speaker duty... I've found the 4490 is so lovely smooth and warm though.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2018 at 9:46 PM Post #2,533 of 2,741
Just my 2 cents but I have the Aune mini I think it's called it's the one before the Aune X1s and I prefer the dac in it compared to my Modi. I used it with the Valhalla 1 and prefer it to the modi but when listening to the magni 3 I prefer the modi. I guess it's a matter of finding what combination works for you and sticking to it. I'm torn between getting the A2 or an Aune x7s because I found the magni 3 has much better bass than the Valhalla but I love the tube midrange. I have 600ohm Beyer's and need just a little more power than the magni 3.

Feb 5, 2018 at 9:44 PM Post #2,534 of 2,741
I have an A2 arriving on Friday.

About 2wks ago I ordered & tried out a Magni 3 that didn't work as well for me as I'd wished it would . I should have been a bit more wary of the Low Gain setting not being as low as I would have liked. A 6dB setting is not a low gain setting for anyone using a full sized DAC (Metrum Acoustics Hex) & any of the ridiculously high efficiency (AQ NH &NO) headphones listening to wide dynamic contrast music (There are no Electric Instrument based popular music genres of music I'm really interested in listening to anymore),

The A2 looks to be a better match than even the Jotunheim(sp) for a lot of listeners using a full sized non PC based playback system. I really do prefer having an internal power supply inside of the equipment I use (along with the option of using the power cord of my choice , which I will connect to my Equi = Tech 1.5Q BPT line conditioner which sits in front of all components in my playback system).

The Magni 3 was fairly impressive in it's ability to just "Get out of the way". The A2 should leave even less of a fingerprint on the signal path (& just let the several $k of equipment it's inline with take care of the playback as well as it normally does) .

Feb 5, 2018 at 9:52 PM Post #2,535 of 2,741
I have an A2 arriving on Friday.

About 2wks ago I ordered & tried out a Magni 3 that didn't work as well for me as I'd wished it would . I should have been a bit more wary of the Low Gain setting not being as low as I would have liked. A 6dB setting is not a low gain setting for anyone using a full sized DAC (Metrum Acoustics Hex) & any of the ridiculously high efficiency (AQ NH &NO) headphones listening to wide dynamic contrast music (There are no Electric Instrument based popular music genres of music I'm really interested in listening to anymore),

The A2 looks to be a better match than even the Jotunheim(sp) for a lot of listeners using a full sized non PC based playback system. I really do prefer having an internal power supply inside of the equipment I use (along with the option of using the power cord of my choice , which I will connect to my Equi = Tech 1.5Q BPT line conditioner which sits in front of all components in my playback system).

The Magni 3 was fairly impressive in it's ability to just "Get out of the way". The A2 should leave even less of a fingerprint on the signal path (& just let the several $k of equipment it's inline with take care of the playback as well as it normally does) .

Hope you like it. Though I now have a Ragnarok I still like to use my A2 from time to time. Just enjoyable to listen to. Nice tone.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back