NEW - Schiit Asgard 2
Oct 7, 2016 at 10:38 AM Post #2,446 of 2,741
  lol sorry about the upper case my caps lock was stuck for some unknown reason and was in a hurry ,
anyway back to the topic , the lcd 2 are 60ohm .
its not a question of turning the volume up till your ears pop, its the fact that they need more power to reach their full potential .
and do not agree that 1 watt of power per channel at 50ohm is sufficient to drive these planers the asgard will drive them but not to their full potential imho.
i have heard the lc2 2.2 on the lyr 2 and it has more punch and control in the low end i put that down to the 4 watts of power per channel
, on the asgard the low end was lacking somewhat. power is essential not just to blow your ear drums to kingdom come .

I had LCD-2s for over a year with the original Asgard and, when I got to compare it to the Lyr, actually preferred the Asgard. I didn't find either amp lacking in power.

Oct 7, 2016 at 12:01 PM Post #2,447 of 2,741
  lol sorry about the upper case my caps lock was stuck for some unknown reason and was in a hurry ,
its not a question of turning the volume up till your ears pop, its the fact that they need more power to reach their full potential .
and do not agree that 1 watt of power per channel at 50ohm is sufficient to drive these planers the asgard will drive them but not to their full potential imho.
i have heard the lc2 2.2 on the lyr 2 and it has more punch and control in the low end i put that down to the 4 watts of power per channel on the lyr
 on the asgard 2 the low end was lacking somewhat. power is essential not just to blow your ear drums to kingdom come .

There is a great misconception about power, it's only purpose is to drive the headphones. If there is enough power to fulfil headroom without distortion then you are good to go, any more does absolutely nothing and is never used. If the power was used, you would be playing far too loud. This is basic EE stuff, no magic here. One shouldn't take heed to the forum myths as it serves no useful purpose.
If you provided the sensitivity of your LCD headphones, in addition to the 60 Ohms impedance I could figure out the SPL for you. Make sure the specs given are for the version of LCD 2's that you have. I'm not sure but from what I remember there are variations by version of some of Audeze's models.

Oct 7, 2016 at 12:44 PM Post #2,448 of 2,741

There is a great misconception about power, it's only purpose is to drive the headphones. If there is enough power to fulfil headroom without distortion then you are good to go, any more does absolutely nothing and is never used. If the power was used, you would be playing far too loud. This is basic EE stuff, no magic here. One shouldn't take heed to the forum myths as it serves no useful purpose.
If you provided the sensitivity of your LCD headphones, in addition to the 60 Ohms impedance I could figure out the SPL for you. Make sure the specs given are for the version of LCD 2's that you have. I'm not sure but from what I remember there are variations by version of some of Audeze's models.

Well, looks like I can throw out all my amps because my phone gets my HD650, 800, Blackwoods and HE560 plenty loud.

To answer @Nicholasheadfi2 question, yes the Asgard 2 should be plenty powerful for the LCD-2.  It is a class A amp which pairs nicely with planars.

Oct 7, 2016 at 1:43 PM Post #2,449 of 2,741
i have heard the lc2 2.2 on the lyr 2 and it has more punch and control in the low end i put that down to the 4 watts of power per channel on the lyr
 on the asgard 2 the low end was lacking somewhat. power is essential not just to blow your ear drums to kingdom come .

I feel like this whole headroom requirement gets thrown around a bunch here but I've seen exactly zero evidence to support it.

Also you asked for advice on your question of power and then someone (who has a lot of experience here) answered with facts to back up their statement and then you respond as if you already had the answer to the question you just asked? Kind of confusing to ask a question you seem to have your mind made up on already.

Keep in mind that between the Lyr and Asgard, there are more differences than just their power output that contribute to their performance.

Oct 7, 2016 at 2:13 PM Post #2,450 of 2,741

Well, looks like I can throw out all my amps because my phone gets my HD650, 800, Blackwoods and HE560 plenty loud.

To answer @Nicholasheadfi2 question, yes the Asgard 2 should be plenty powerful for the LCD-2.  It is a class A amp which pairs nicely with planars.

It is unlikely that a phone has enough voltage swing to drive a 300 Ohm headphone to adequate volume and have headroom as phones are not designed to have the necessary power rails for that purpose.

Oct 7, 2016 at 2:15 PM Post #2,451 of 2,741
So who can explain what power in excess of headroom can accomplish and how it does so? The Asgard 2 has enough juice for most headphones. Folks, we're not talking rocket science.

Oct 7, 2016 at 9:09 PM Post #2,452 of 2,741
  So who can explain what power in excess of headroom can accomplish and how it does so? The Asgard 2 has enough juice for most headphones. Folks, we're not talking rocket science.

It's psychological "more is better" thing.

Oct 7, 2016 at 9:19 PM Post #2,453 of 2,741
Oct 8, 2016 at 7:50 AM Post #2,456 of 2,741

what was said does make sense you guys have a lot more experience and knowledge than i have so here is what you asked for i think maybe it will help 

1. Sensitivity: 91dB @1mW
cheers guys .

Oct 8, 2016 at 8:05 AM Post #2,457 of 2,741

I had LCD-2s for over a year with the original Asgard and, when I got to compare it to the Lyr, actually preferred the Asgard. I didn't find either amp lacking in power.

I second that. I also like the Asgard 1 better than the Mjolnir 1 paired with the LCD-2 rev2.
And i think the Mjolnir only put into 60ohm-LCD-2 ~5Watts when you are at max volume. So if you use the headphone at small volume, the power difference between the 2 amps would not be huge. Am i mistaken or not?
btw, i really think the Mjolnir has problem with its treble range.

Oct 8, 2016 at 8:07 AM Post #2,458 of 2,741
what was said does make sense you guys have a lot more experience and knowledge than i have so here is what you asked for i think maybe it will help 

cheers guys .

Just get the Jotunheim so you won't ever worry about power

Oct 8, 2016 at 9:06 AM Post #2,459 of 2,741

cheers guys .

Using the sensitivity you stated and the 60 Ohms impedance you previously gave, the Asgard 2 at 1 W can put out around 121 dBSPL with your headphones. That's plenty. Time to enjoy your kit and not worry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back