NEW - Schiit Asgard 2
Jun 17, 2016 at 8:49 AM Post #2,416 of 2,741
  How does the asgard 2 play with the hd800s? I have a bottlehead crack i'm happy with but want a cheap second amp when I want a cleaner ss sound.

Cheers

Instead of the Asgard 2, I would suggest the Valhalla 2, which conveys a clean, solid-state sound with a hint of tube sweetness; it resolves more than the Crack and is more spacious in staging, is leaner and faster sounding, but it doesn't have the slam of the Crack. 

Jun 17, 2016 at 4:36 PM Post #2,417 of 2,741
  How does the asgard 2 play with the hd800s? I have a bottlehead crack i'm happy with but want a cheap second amp when I want a cleaner ss sound.

Cheers

And just as a counterpoint, at least with the HD800S and Bifrost MB I am very happy using the Asgard 2. With the normal HD800 I'd be a little more hesitant, especially if you have a brighter DAC.

Jun 29, 2016 at 12:14 PM Post #2,419 of 2,741
Hey guys, I was wondering if you could get tell me if this sounds normal.  Here's my setup:

DAC: ASUS Xonar Essence STX (RCA line out)
Amps: Magni 2 and Asgard 2
Headphones: Beyer DT990 Pro 250 ohm and HIFIMAN HE400i

I just got the Asgard 2 and got it hooked up to the Xonar via the RCA cables.  I plugged the power cable into my battery backup with the rest of my computer gear.  With the Xonar at max volume and the Asgard 2 on high-gain at max volume I am getting some noise.  The noise is still there in low-gain mode though greatly reduced.

I wouldn't call the noise a hum as it is more of a "fsh" sound.  I tried touching the computer chassis, the amp chassis, and the RCA cables but that doesn't change the noise.  The noise is a bit more audible on the HE400i than the DT990, especially in high-gain mode.  I did try plugging the Asgard 2 into a different wall power socket and that may have helped a little but it's hard to say for sure.  The noise was still there.  I tried a couple different RCA cables but I don't have anything special in that regard, just some basic cables.

With the Magni 2 in the same scenarios I do not get any noise, either in high- or low-gain mode, with either headphone.  At least none that I can hear.

Schiit's "FAQ" for amps suggests (for hum) a ground loop isolator (which looks like it would go between the Xonar and the amp) or the EbTech HumX but what I am hearing does not sound like hum to me.  It's hard to describe but like I mentioned it's more like a "fsh, fsh, fsh" sound.

If I'm being honest the Asgard 2 has enough power such that in low-gain mode it is loud enough around 12 o'clock where I don't hear the noise at all, but since that noise is completely absent from the Magni 2 I thought I would ask just in case I'm missing something.

Thanks.

Jun 29, 2016 at 12:27 PM Post #2,420 of 2,741
  Hey guys, I was wondering if you could get tell me if this sounds normal.  Here's my setup:

I just got the Asgard 2 and got it hooked up to the Xonar via the RCA cables.  I plugged the power cable into my battery backup with the rest of my computer gear.  With the Xonar at max volume and the Asgard 2 on high-gain at max volume I am getting some noise.  The noise is still there in low-gain mode though greatly reduced.

I wouldn't call the noise a hum as it is more of a "fsh" sound.  I tried touching the computer chassis, the amp chassis, and the RCA cables but that doesn't change the noise.  The noise is a bit more audible on the HE400i than the DT990, especially in high-gain mode.  I did try plugging the Asgard 2 into a different wall power socket and that may have helped a little but it's hard to say for sure.  The noise was still there.  I tried a couple different RCA cables but I don't have anything special in that regard, just some basic cables.

With the Magni 2 in the same scenarios I do not get any noise, either in high- or low-gain mode, with either headphone.  At least none that I can hear.

Schiit's "FAQ" for amps suggests (for hum) a ground loop isolator (which looks like it would go between the Xonar and the amp) or the EbTech HumX but what I am hearing does not sound like hum to me.  It's hard to describe but like I mentioned it's more like a "fsh, fsh, fsh" sound.

If I'm being honest the Asgard 2 has enough power such that in low-gain mode it is loud enough around 12 o'clock where I don't hear the noise at all, but since that noise is completely absent from the Magni 2 I thought I would ask just in case I'm missing something.

Thanks.

I've gone through the same thing. Even though it's not a ground loop, Schiit's amps that use a wallwart don't have this noise, whereas their amps with an internal power supply and grounded plug can have this noise. The two things that solved the issue for me were making sure all the connected equipment are plugged into the same outlet and getting a power conditioner. The power conditioner I got is not expensive and is more of a power strip with good filtering (it's listed in my profile). 

Jun 29, 2016 at 12:31 PM Post #2,421 of 2,741

Thanks.

It's not a ground loop based on your description.

You are going  to have to play detective to isolate the cause.  You do not mention what computer, which player, etc.  Try checking all software settings to ensure you have things setup for bit perfect playback with no additional gain in the software.

Try new RCA cables, try running headphone out from your computer 1/8 IN jack to the inputs of the amp.  Usually requires a 1/8 to dual rca plugs.  Try moving the amps to see if that has an effect.  Try closing down all other programs and play quiet music to see if you hear it as much. 

If you merely have the computer at idle and not playing music, and you are turning the gain up higher than you would normally listen, it could just be the residual noise of the computer and dac.  And maybe the magni filtered it and the Asgard is not. 

You called it a "fsh" noise.  Is it constant like fshhhhhhhhhhh or fsh ..silence..fish...and is it periodic like every so many seconds or does it relate to something you are doing with mouse or computer.  Many times this computer noise is filtered by some setups and designs and not by others.

So, I would try to rule out the physical cables, placement etc.Then you could try the amp on another computer setup.  That would confirm or rule out the amp as an issue if quieter or quiet on another setup.

Jun 29, 2016 at 1:32 PM Post #2,422 of 2,741
Just get an external DAC.

Jun 29, 2016 at 1:55 PM Post #2,423 of 2,741
Mine does the same when cranked all the way, with my Bifrost so I doubt an external DAC would solve that issue. I'm plugged into a power conditioner as well.

I thought that was just normal and not an issue as you'll never need to turn it up even close to that loud with your headphones, you'd severely damage your hearing and could likely destroy the 400i's drivers (about 120 dB). Is it noticeable at actual listening volumes? On mine it is dead silent, even with the harder-to-drive HE-560.

Jun 29, 2016 at 2:22 PM Post #2,424 of 2,741
  Just get an external DAC.

Then he gets to deal with all the noise his computer sends through USB and ends up spending even more $ on USB decrapifiers, hahaha.      
biggrin.gif

Jun 29, 2016 at 2:28 PM Post #2,425 of 2,741
  Then he gets to deal with all the noise his computer sends through USB and ends up spending even more $ on USB decrapifiers, hahaha.      
biggrin.gif

I can only think of a ground loop hum and then it's rarely an issue when using the same power outlet. Use optical cable in worst case scenario. :)

Jun 29, 2016 at 2:48 PM Post #2,426 of 2,741

I can only think of a ground loop hum and then it's rarely an issue when using the same power outlet. Use optical cable in worst case scenario. :)

You obviously have not been following the threads on USB decrapifiers and the noise they purport to cure:

to wit: 

Schiit Wyrd
AQ Jitterbug
Intona USB Isolator
Ifi ipurifier
ifi ipurifier2
Ifi Micro USB 3.0
Light Harmonic Lightspeed Revive
UpTone Audio Regen
Wyred 4 Sound Recovery
Aqvox

and probably some others I am not aware of at the moment.

Jun 29, 2016 at 2:53 PM Post #2,427 of 2,741
  Mine does the same when cranked all the way, with my Bifrost so I doubt an external DAC would solve that issue. I'm plugged into a power conditioner as well.

I thought that was just normal and not an issue as you'll never need to turn it up even close to that loud with your headphones, you'd severely damage your hearing and could likely destroy the 400i's drivers (about 120 dB). Is it noticeable at actual listening volumes? On mine it is dead silent, even with the harder-to-drive HE-560.

It is not much of an issue because I can get plenty volume even on low-gain but since it doesn't happen with the Magni 2 under identical conditions, I just wanted to make sure there was no quick/easy fix.  RickB's suggestion sounds like it would be the best bet.

Thanks for the responses everyone.

Jun 29, 2016 at 3:05 PM Post #2,429 of 2,741
  For the record, My gear is all plugged in to the same outlet/power conditioner as well. Still noise at max. So no guarantee that will solve it either.

Slight buzz at max volume on high gain is completely normal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back