NEW - Schiit Asgard 2
May 5, 2016 at 7:28 PM Post #2,401 of 2,741
  I can say my Asgard 2 makes no clicks so that is something out of the ordinary but not sure about what could be causing it.

If the clicking is caused by heat expansion, which I also think it is, having one that doesn't click doesn't mean that one that does is faulty. It's quite common for things that heat up to make a clicking or popping sound.   I actually would try and loosen the screws just a little bit. See if that stops it. If it does, then you'll know that was the reason for the clicking. 

May 6, 2016 at 4:18 AM Post #2,402 of 2,741
Thanks for the help. Sending it to schiit to see if they can find anything they can do.

May 6, 2016 at 10:05 AM Post #2,403 of 2,741
IMO, waste of your time and money.  Like others have already said it's just the case, itself a heatsink, which is contracting and expanding by the heat generated by the class A.  My A2 does the same thing and has since the day I bought it. 

May 6, 2016 at 11:30 AM Post #2,404 of 2,741
I understand what the op meant with the H10. It's not ncessary the power and volume delivery. It's just a different level of engagement with that amp and these headphones.

Once I had my H10 and listened to my LCD-2 and HE560 on it, I couldn't go back to my Asgard. Though it was the original version of the Asgard.

Th asgard is an amazing amp for my dynamic headphones and I enjoyed it a lot, but there is just some special synergy with the H10 and planars.

Cheers.

More the more watts for the planar the better so I have heard. I think the Lyr would also be great with planars if someone wanted to go tubes instead of solid state.

I use the Asgard 2 for my TH-X00 with a Theta DAC outputting double the standard at 4V through unbalanced RCAs into the Asgard 2. I still prefer it when listening to redbook over the Chord Mojo, but I have to admit the Chord Mojo does an amazing job with hi-res music. It is noticeably better when compared to the Theta when I downsample all hi-res to 16/44.1

May 6, 2016 at 5:26 PM Post #2,406 of 2,741
IMO, waste of your time and money.  Like others have already said it's just the case, itself a heatsink, which is contracting and expanding by the heat generated by the class A.  My A2 does the same thing and has since the day I bought it. 

Good to know. When tightening screws however I noticed there is something loose and rattling in my asgard 2. I think it is somehow related to the back screw holding the input plugs will not screw in and tighten, it just keeps spinning. So I figured it would not hurt to send it in and have them give it a look over. I have back up headphones still thankfully.

May 12, 2016 at 12:43 PM Post #2,407 of 2,741
Wondering about the pre-out on the asgard 2. Does it work simultaneously with headphones connected, and is it fixed output or variable?

Thanks.

May 12, 2016 at 12:48 PM Post #2,408 of 2,741
I use the Asgard 2 as a preamp in my office system (with a Parasound Halo A21) so the preamp outs are variable and plugging in headphones mutes the preamp outs. 

May 12, 2016 at 1:24 PM Post #2,409 of 2,741
  I use the Asgard 2 as a preamp in my office system (with a Parasound Halo A21) so the preamp outs are variable and plugging in headphones mutes the preamp outs. 

Good to know thanks.

May 12, 2016 at 2:08 PM Post #2,411 of 2,741
Preamp outs are always variable. Line outputs are fixed.

Good to know. Preamp outs are usually muted by headphone input too? And I assume line outs are not muted in the same way.

May 12, 2016 at 2:31 PM Post #2,412 of 2,741

Good to know. Preamp outs are usually muted by headphone input too? And I assume line outs are not muted in the same way.

I think it mostly depends on implementation. I think the general consensus is that if you are listening to headphones, you generally don't have the speakers on as well. But amps like the Ragnarok have setting with both active.

May 23, 2016 at 4:32 PM Post #2,413 of 2,741
I've had my Asgard 2 for about six months, and I'm very much pleased with it. It's being fed by a Gungnir Multibit (which primarily feeds my balanced two channel setup, 15 feet and 90 degrees away in our living room), and for the money, Ho Lee Schiit. I use it with both my HE-560s and Flat-4 Kaede IIs, and it really sounds great. I do have plans to eventually replace it with a Mjolnir 2, and have already gone ahead and picked up some '75 "HG" tubes. However, as much as I look forward to experiencing (and affording) what extra power, finesse, detail, warmth, soundstaging, etc., that upgrade could bring to my planars, I'm also considering sticking with the A2 for some time, and instead putting that extra cash into my two channel setup. I know, you've all been dying to hear this.

My IEMs are rated at up to 400 mW, so not surprisingly there appears to be PLENTY of headroom. However, with the HE-560s—sure they will play LOUD—in certain busy/complex passages, with high dynamic range content, things fall down juuuust a wee bit. Still though: I heartily recommend the Schiit out of it.

Jun 17, 2016 at 8:28 AM Post #2,415 of 2,741
  How does the asgard 2 play with the hd800s? I have a bottlehead crack i'm happy with but want a cheap second amp when I want a cleaner ss sound.

Cheers

It works, but (in my opinion) it is not optimal.

I owned, at the same time as the Asgard 2, a Grace Design m9XX and Cavalli Audio Liquid Carbon. These were solid state amplifiers that I quite liked with the HD800. I would probably consider a Lyr 2 with LISST tubes, though I have not heard it specifically with the HD800.

I understand what I've done - doubled the price of your initial suggestion. That's not my intent, and the Asgard 2 will play the HD800. It is simply that I wanted to inject what I heard, which is that the Asgard 2 did not make my best headphones sound their best. I quite enjoyed the Asgard 2 with HD650 and K702. But I did not enjoy it as much with HD800 and HE1000. Asgard 2 is still a good value option, and will play the HD800 just fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back