NEW - Schiit Asgard 2
Dec 25, 2015 at 7:29 PM Post #2,341 of 2,741
I haven't seen any reports of burn-in making any real sound signature changes to the Asgard 2, and personally didn't notice any changes either.

There are a couple possibilities that come to mind:

• You simply prefer more bass. Nothing wrong with that if that's the case, so maybe the Fiio is better for you.
  • Your iPhone may either have some sound settings set that benefit the Fiio but not the Asgard, or it may be that it doesn't sound as good because you're going directly from iPhone to whichever amp, so regardless of amp it may just sound like iPhone.

Dec 25, 2015 at 7:54 PM Post #2,342 of 2,741
  Just opened up my Christmas gift & YESSSSSS I finally got the Asgard 2. So pretty, so clean!!!

Now I want to just say I'm not technically sophisticated at all about my audio gear. I just love music & I want to enjoy it at it's most optimum. 

But I do have a few questions for the seasoned posters on here. Here are my simple specs:

Source: iphone 6 Plus
Headphones: HiFi Man HE 400i
Amp:  Asgard 2

The A2 replaced or will replace the Fiio Mont Blanc & so far honestly I'm not hearing a discernible difference?? 

The iPhone's built-in DAC may just not be good enough to bring out the differences between the two amps.

Dec 26, 2015 at 1:16 AM Post #2,343 of 2,741
  The iPhone's built-in DAC may just not be good enough to bring out the differences between the two amps.

Interesting, so I may have to bi-pass the iPhone's internal DAC & go with an external? After a solid 4-5 hours of listening I am starting to hear some differences. I noticed the vocals on several songs sound much more enveloping & spacious, although not with ALL songs. So I guess I may have to think about going to something like a Asgard 2 + Modi 2 or Bifrost? 

But I'm also going to have to  invest in a cable that will bi-pass the iPhone all together as well correct? 

Dec 26, 2015 at 3:23 AM Post #2,344 of 2,741

Interesting, so I may have to bi-pass the iPhone's internal DAC & go with an external? After a solid 4-5 hours of listening I am starting to hear some differences. I noticed the vocals on several songs sound much more enveloping & spacious, although not with ALL songs. So I guess I may have to think about going to something like a Asgard 2 + Modi 2 or Bifrost? 

But I'm also going to have to  invest in a cable that will bi-pass the iPhone all together as well correct? 

depending on budget Bifrost MB sounds really good 

Dec 26, 2015 at 5:34 AM Post #2,345 of 2,741
Just opened up my Christmas gift & YESSSSSS I finally got the Asgard 2. So pretty, so clean!!!

Now I want to just say I'm not technically sophisticated at all about my audio gear. I just love music & I want to enjoy it at it's most optimum. 

But I do have a few questions for the seasoned posters on here. Here are my simple specs:

Source: iphone 6 Plus
Headphones: HiFi Man HE 400i
Amp:  Asgard 2

The A2 replaced or will replace the Fiio Mont Blanc & so far honestly I'm not hearing a discernible difference?? In fact the Fiio's bass boost seems to make the enjoyment of listening leaning towards the Fiio...so far! I'm not a bass head but I do have an allotment of music that as a moderate amount of bass. Does the A2 require a "burn in" time like some headphones do?  I have the gain switched up as well.

I tried playing so far a variety of music to see if I hear any major differences:

Ottmar Liebert - Santa Fe
John Coltrane- Dear Lord
The Art of Noise- Moments In Love
RJD2-Weatherpeople
Galimatias & Alina Baraz- Drift

Could it be the HD 400i's? 

Any advise would be greatly appreciated. 

Happy Holidays!!!
[/quote Fiio e12 is indeed Very good for the price, but my A20 and Asgard is ABSOLUTELY not!!! A20 is Just very slightly better than Fiio e12 and Asgard is not better at all... Just different sound signature... People's here HUGELY exaggerate differences to justify Their purchases.

Dec 26, 2015 at 5:45 AM Post #2,347 of 2,741

I've never done it, but if I'm not mistaken, you can use Apple's Camera Connection Kit to output a digital signal from the iPhone's DAC (and bypass the phone's internal amp) to the Asgard 2. The iPhone's DAC is pretty good. You may need to use a powered USB hub between the iPhone and Asgard.

Dec 26, 2015 at 12:28 PM Post #2,348 of 2,741

I've never done it, but if I'm not mistaken, you can use Apple's Camera Connection Kit to output a digital signal from the iPhone's DAC (and bypass the phone's internal amp) to the Asgard 2. The iPhone's DAC is pretty good. You may need to use a powered USB hub between the iPhone and Asgard.

Nope!  The Asgard cannot decode digital.

You need a dac to decode the digital signal from the iphone.  Like an HRT Microstreamer.

Dec 26, 2015 at 12:46 PM Post #2,349 of 2,741
  Nope!  The Asgard cannot decode digital.

You need a dac to decode the digital signal from the iphone.  Like an HRT Microstreamer.

The camera connection kit is supposed to output an analog signal.

Edit: maybe this has more info, since I don't know much about this.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/719808/lightning-to-usb-camera-adapter-usb-dac-supported-bit-depths-sample-rates

Dec 26, 2015 at 1:18 PM Post #2,350 of 2,741

The camera connection kit is supposed to output an analog signal.

Edit: maybe this has more info, since I don't know much about this.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/719808/lightning-to-usb-camera-adapter-usb-dac-supported-bit-depths-sample-rates

I am afraid, I have caused some confusion.   
redface.gif

I have used the incorrect names for the item I was referencing.  The correct name for the item I was thinking about is Lightning to USB Camera Adapter

The older ipad camera connection kit uses a bigger dock connector and is meant to import digital files over usb to an sd card or ipad with the old 30 pin dock connector.

An even older Line Out Dock with 30 pin connector was used back int he day to get a line out signal from an ipod to an external amp for example.

As for modern iphones, the correct name I suppose is a Lightning to USB Camera Adapter.  This allows for file transfer and digital out via the usb connection.  You can use it to hook up an approved self powered portable dac or dac/amp like the microstreamer.

I am not aware of any other way to get an analog out from the iphone other than just using the headphone jack.

Dec 26, 2015 at 1:20 PM Post #2,351 of 2,741
  I am afraid, I have caused some confusion.   
redface.gif

I have used the incorrect names for the item I was referencing.  The correct name for the item I was thinking about is Lightning to USB Camera Adapter

The older ipad camera connection kit uses a bigger dock connector and is meant to import digital files over usb to an sd card or ipad with the old 30 pin dock connector.

An even older Line Out Dock with 30 pin connector was used back int he day to get a line out signal from an ipod to an external amp for example.

As for modern iphones, the correct name I suppose is a Lightning to USB Camera Adapter.  This allows for file transfer and digital out via the usb connection.  You can use it to hook up an approved self powered portable dac or dac/amp like the microstreamer.

I am not aware of any other way to get an analog out from the iphone other than just using the headphone jack.

I was confused myself.
redface.gif

Dec 26, 2015 at 10:32 PM Post #2,352 of 2,741

I highly doubt. That thing sounds better subjectively, and measures better objectively, than most DAC under 500 dollars, and some from above that.  Even the amp section on it is ridiculously good for a device that does a million things and the audio section of it is smaller than the tip of your finger.

Dec 26, 2015 at 10:49 PM Post #2,353 of 2,741
I apologize if this has already been asked and answered while using the phone as your source, are you playing lossless/cd quality audio files or no? 

I'm very familiar with the FiiO E12 and E12A, I prefer the E12A overall yet the E12 is still a very nice portable amp for the money. In my system, with my music and my headphones, I find the Asgard 2 to be a very transparent amp. I've never found it to add nor subtract from the source files being feed to it, which is what you're hoping for in a well-designed, true "Class A" amp. That's not to say that you may not prefer the sound of the E12 and the bass boost it offers. If I were you I wouldn't make snap judgments regarding the performance of the Asgard 2, sometimes when we sit and listen for "differences" (good or bad) in audio gear we stop listening as we usually do...which is just for the enjoyment of the music. Give yourself some time to relax, listen to music you love and in no time I think you'll find that the Asgard 2 will truly shine and if it doesn't and it's simply not your cup of tea that okay, you need to go with what you enjoy most. Good luck, I hope you get it all figured out! 

Dec 27, 2015 at 3:08 PM Post #2,354 of 2,741

I highly doubt. That thing sounds better subjectively, and measures better objectively, than most DAC under 500 dollars, and some from above that.  Even the amp section on it is ridiculously good for a device that does a million things and the audio section of it is smaller than the tip of your finger.

From what I've read on multiple posts is that the iPhone's internal DAC is not that bad at all so I feel like what may be the deciding factor if I keep the Asgard 2 is trying out a few different headphones with it. 

I think I'm going to pick up a pair of Fidelio X2, used pair of HD700's & maybe just for Shiits & giggles a pair of Audio Technica ATH-M50x. Obviously not all at one time but for the price of the Asgard & the reputation Shiit has I should give them a fair chance.

I mean who knows maybe my ears are just not sophisticated enough to properly appreciate the setup I have right now & I still have juvenile ears? 

Dec 28, 2015 at 12:44 PM Post #2,355 of 2,741
  I apologize if this has already been asked and answered while using the phone as your source, are you playing lossless/cd quality audio files or no? 

I'm very familiar with the FiiO E12 and E12A, I prefer the E12A overall yet the E12 is still a very nice portable amp for the money. In my system, with my music and my headphones, I find the Asgard 2 to be a very transparent amp. I've never found it to add nor subtract from the source files being feed to it, which is what you're hoping for in a well-designed, true "Class A" amp. That's not to say that you may not prefer the sound of the E12 and the bass boost it offers. If I were you I wouldn't make snap judgments regarding the performance of the Asgard 2, sometimes when we sit and listen for "differences" (good or bad) in audio gear we stop listening as we usually do...which is just for the enjoyment of the music. Give yourself some time to relax, listen to music you love and in no time I think you'll find that the Asgard 2 will truly shine and if it doesn't and it's simply not your cup of tea that okay, you need to go with what you enjoy most. Good luck, I hope you get it all figured out! 

Sorry I didn't see your post earlier! I would say about 60% of my music library was burned from CD's, then from about 2007 on I've been buying my music at normal mp3 quality. I'm definitely going to hang on to the Asgard until I give it a fair once around with several different headphones. It could be the HE400i's that aren't my cup of tea, however I do think with the Mont Blanc's bass boost they do seem a bit more enjoyable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back