NEW - Schiit Asgard 2
Aug 1, 2015 at 10:10 PM Post #2,221 of 2,741

I have a Bifrost Uber/Gen2USB with Asgard 2 with Shure's sister 1540 (office use). Fun pairing. Are you in low gain or high? I'm low gain, the 1540 is easy to drive. The Asgard just does wonders with what it's fed. Welcome to the club(s)!

Exactly same setup in my office, fed by a Synology NAS via a SoTM sMS-100 DLNA renderer controlled by BubbleUPnP on my Android devices), loving it. Before this, I was a speakers-only listener (Naim UnitiQute + KEF LS50s) except when traveling (iBasso DX90 + Etymotic ER-4PT). Mostly modern jazz, world, and classical. The only "negative" of the new setup is that it shows clearly that some otherwise favored recordings are sadly lacking in stereo imaging compared with the best in my collection.

Aug 1, 2015 at 10:17 PM Post #2,222 of 2,741

I have to say honestly I did not notice much difference between the Modi 2 Uber and Bifrost. Now, moving from the Magni 2 Uber to the Asgard 2, yes, big difference. Clarity, power, soundstage, etc all improved. If I had to do again, I would have stuck with the Modi 2 Uber. But we'll see when/if Jason produces a multibit analogue output stage for Bifrost what happens because I'll be ordering that as soon as the budget allows.

Thanks!

And thanks for your replies, StanD and theblueprint.

Aug 6, 2015 at 2:43 PM Post #2,223 of 2,741
With the cost of the A2 on the used market I believe it's one of the best values I've come across.  I can't wait to feed mine with a decent source like the Bifrost.  I know the Modi 2 sounds close to the Bifrost but who can deny the Asgard 2 the matching chassis of the Bifrost?

Aug 6, 2015 at 6:49 PM Post #2,224 of 2,741
I have an Asgard 2 since 3 months and could not be happier :) Powered by a Gungnir though.

Aug 6, 2015 at 7:38 PM Post #2,226 of 2,741
Ahah I know !!! I'm looking for a pair of planar headphones : http://www.head-fi.org/t/775103/best-affordable-planar-headphones-for-schiit-gungnir-asgard-2

But yeah, my Momentums are really the bottleneck of my setup.

Aug 6, 2015 at 8:34 PM Post #2,227 of 2,741
  With the cost of the A2 on the used market I believe it's one of the best values I've come across.  I can't wait to feed mine with a decent source like the Bifrost.  I know the Modi 2 sounds close to the Bifrost but who can deny the Asgard 2 the matching chassis of the Bifrost?

Both my Asgard 2 and Bifrost Uber USB Gen 2 were purchased used. Don't feel at all like you are missing anything with a Modi 2 Uber and Wyrd, they are very very close. However, they do look nice stacked. Except for the Wyrd, need a Wyrd Uber. No difference aside from aluminum housing. One can dream.

Aug 7, 2015 at 9:02 AM Post #2,228 of 2,741
Both my Asgard 2 and Bifrost Uber USB Gen 2 were purchased used. Don't feel at all like you are missing anything with a Modi 2 Uber and Wyrd, they are very very close. However, they do look nice stacked. Except for the Wyrd, need a Wyrd Uber. No difference aside from aluminum housing. One can dream.

That's a great suggestion. Would look really cool too!

Aug 9, 2015 at 3:23 PM Post #2,229 of 2,741
I am getting my brand new HiFiMan HE-400i in the mail early next week.  Right now I am using a JDS Labs O2 and would like to get a better amp soon, and eventually a DAC.  I see on Audiobot9000 website the Asgard 2 should power these headphones very nicely.  Does anyone have any experience between the A2 and HE-400i.  Also, I have a glass desk and was wondering if the heat coming from the A2 would be a problem.

Aug 9, 2015 at 4:07 PM Post #2,230 of 2,741
I'm driving an HE-400 with the Asgard2 and am very happy with it.
I think an HE-400i should also be no problem for the Asgard2.
I have it on high gain and depending on the record, I mostly have the dial between 10 and 13 o'clock., more then enough power.
It has small plastic feet you have to put under it so it doesn't touch your table, should be fine on the glass I think.

Aug 9, 2015 at 4:31 PM Post #2,231 of 2,741
I'm driving an HE-400 with the Asgard2 and am very happy with it.
I think an HE-400i should also be no problem for the Asgard2.
I have it on high gain and depending on the record, I mostly have the dial between 10 and 13 o'clock., more then enough power.
It has small plastic feet you have to put under it so it doesn't touch your table, should be fine on the glass I think.

I have read people like the A2 with the HE-400 but the 400i is a little different in sound signature and hope someone can chime in on the pair.  Still in the research stage on which amp + dac, or amp/dac combo to get. 

Aug 9, 2015 at 4:38 PM Post #2,233 of 2,741
  I use both the HE-400 and 400i with my A2, sounds amazing! Plenty of power for both. I'm using a Modi 2 Uber for my DAC.

Nice!! Leaning more towards Schiit products for its price to performance, made in the USA + 5 year warranty, and will match the aesthetics of my iMac.  Not sure which DAC i will go with ATM, but trying to keep cost down as much as possible, so the the Modi 2 Uber is a consideration.

Aug 9, 2015 at 8:41 PM Post #2,234 of 2,741
  Nice!! Leaning more towards Schiit products for its price to performance, made in the USA + 5 year warranty, and will match the aesthetics of my iMac.  Not sure which DAC i will go with ATM, but trying to keep cost down as much as possible, so the the Modi 2 Uber is a consideration.

It's a solid DAC, I recommend it highly.

Aug 10, 2015 at 1:19 AM Post #2,235 of 2,741
I love my Asgard 2 and I can't wait to return home from vacation so I can plug in yet another new toy from the 90s. I love my Frankenstein rig (Theta DS Pro Progeny v. A - that Moffatt bass and massive soundstage kudos to DSP filter, double transformers, 18-bit R2R hybrid).

When I get home I should have a new transport/DAC which is the EAD CD-1000 series III (2X PCM-63P and PMD100 HDCD). Let the 90s DAC showdown begin!! Long live Franken-rig!! Asgard 2 just provides the gain and pathway to musical nirvana. I'd suggest you all search for vintage DACs cause you might be in for a surprise.

Awaiting "multi-BITfrost" and possible Sharc DSP implementation from the Yggy. Too bad I get home late on the 15th of August which is when the Schiit show in LA commences. If The upgrade turns out to be the cake, I may just retract my offering to my dad and give him the EAD-CD1000 so he can listen to his Steve Miller CDs and Beach Boys in a glorious fashion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back