NEW - Schiit Asgard 2
Jul 24, 2015 at 11:02 PM Post #2,207 of 2,741
  Just picked up a Schiit Asgard 2. I have it paired with a Peachtree Dacitx and Shure 1840's. Not bad first my first headphone setup. Sounds amazing.

I have a Bifrost Uber/Gen2USB with Asgard 2 with Shure's sister 1540 (office use). Fun pairing. Are you in low gain or high? I'm low gain, the 1540 is easy to drive. The Asgard just does wonders with what it's fed. Welcome to the club(s)!

Jul 24, 2015 at 11:08 PM Post #2,208 of 2,741
Thanks. I am running low gain at the moment. 1840's are 65 Ohm impedance. I have $600 in everything at the moment. Probably won't ever upgrade for a long time. I will pick up a Loki for DSD next. I went glass optical cable and Blue Jean rca cables. Anyone run a low rpm fan to keep the Asgard 2 cooler ? Even the audio knob is hot to touch.

Aug 1, 2015 at 5:40 AM Post #2,213 of 2,741
Not noticed it, but then again I only got the Asgard2 (together with the Modi2Uber) yesterday and since then a headphone has been on my head.
Enjoying it very much with my HE-400 in high gain mode.
btw: is it okay to put the Modi2 on top of the Asgard2? Because of the heat, not sure if those Modi2 'feets' will melt or does something to the sound.

Aug 1, 2015 at 7:53 AM Post #2,216 of 2,741
You're right, I guess it's better not to put anything on it.
No problem, they're now side-by-side.

I ran my Asgard 2 with my Wyrd and Modi 2 Uber stacked on top. Just off to the left side as you look at the front away from the vent area with no noticeable side effects. But also in low gain mode with low impedance cans so YMMD.

Aug 1, 2015 at 12:30 PM Post #2,217 of 2,741

I ran my Asgard 2 with my Wyrd and Modi 2 Uber stacked on top. Just off to the left side as you look at the front away from the vent area with no noticeable side effects. But also in low gain mode with low impedance cans so YMMD.

Just a question, would you say the Bifrost Uber into the Asgard 2 is an improvement in sound quality over Modi2U>Asgard2?

Aug 1, 2015 at 12:37 PM Post #2,218 of 2,741

Just a question, would you say the Bifrost Uber into the Asgard 2 is an improvement in sound quality over Modi2U>Asgard2?

I have all three and suspect that one may not notice any difference, unless they really want to (expectation). The differences in SNR are so very small and distortion below what we can hear. The only thing with my Modi2Uber is when there is no music playing there is a small amount of noise in the backround when using the optical link. I've emailed with Nick previously and will get around to sending it back for service. The Coax and USB connections are quiet.

Aug 1, 2015 at 9:58 PM Post #2,219 of 2,741

I have to say honestly I did not notice much difference between the Modi 2 Uber and Bifrost. Now, moving from the Magni 2 Uber to the Asgard 2, yes, big difference. Clarity, power, soundstage, etc all improved. If I had to do again, I would have stuck with the Modi 2 Uber. But we'll see when/if Jason produces a multibit analogue output stage for Bifrost what happens because I'll be ordering that as soon as the budget allows.

Aug 1, 2015 at 10:02 PM Post #2,220 of 2,741
Another Asgard 2 owner here. I was real close to buying a modi 2 uber (I found it scary close to the bifrost uber), but I came across a deal too great to be refused. But yeah, bought the bifrost mainly for a matching chassis and upgradeability (hopefully schiit comes through with the multibit upgrade soon).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back