NEW - Schiit Asgard 2
Aug 11, 2015 at 3:55 PM Post #2,236 of 2,741
I'm still in awe of how Schiit nailed the apple-esque look (though the lowest tier lacks the brushed aluminum of the higher end stuff). 

Aug 11, 2015 at 3:58 PM Post #2,237 of 2,741
Oh yeah. My Schiit stack fits nicely with my MacBook Pro :)

Aug 11, 2015 at 4:41 PM Post #2,238 of 2,741
  I'm still in awe of how Schiit nailed the apple-esque look (though the lowest tier lacks the brushed aluminum of the higher end stuff).

I don't know, I wouldn't really call it  Apple-esque. Sure it's brushed alu look, but Asgard 2 is a bit rough around the edges. I think they went with a design that will be extremely cheap and simple to manufacture rather than trying to make it look expensive, it's just a sheet of aluminium folded to have 2 edges, sure it looks nice, but people don't realize how cheap it is to produce such pieces of metal. 

Aug 11, 2015 at 4:47 PM Post #2,239 of 2,741
I think Schiit Audio did a really nice job with their case design. I much prefer it to a component in which the most expensive part by far is the case. I bet some companies spend more on the case (like CNC'd aluminium) than on all the parts inside combined. 

Aug 12, 2015 at 2:06 AM Post #2,240 of 2,741
They did something that was simple, elegant, and economical. Isn't Jony Ive constantly telling us in those promo videos how important simplicity is?

Aug 14, 2015 at 3:26 AM Post #2,243 of 2,741
Let's compare audio products shall we?

I recently got a Burson Conductor and build and quality wise it beats all my Schiit stuff I had. It looks nicer and has a better haptic feedback too. Don't get me wrong, I love Schiit, they got me into this whole mess with their affordable, high quality products. But I do think there is room for improvement, a bit more care here and there, straight knobs, better fitting parts, some edges a bit sandpapered so you don't cut yourself on them would go a long way...

I really like the design, it's very very good, but the execution could use some little touches. We can't let Schiit go complacent, right? Stay on your toes Jason :)

Cheers,
K

Aug 14, 2015 at 6:18 AM Post #2,244 of 2,741
Let's compare audio products shall we?

I recently got a Burson Conductor and build and quality wise it beats all my Schiit stuff I had. It looks nicer and has a better haptic feedback too. Don't get me wrong, I love Schiit, they got me into this whole mess with their affordable, high quality products. But I do think there is room for improvement, a bit more care here and there, straight knobs, better fitting parts, some edges a bit sandpapered so you don't cut yourself on them would go a long way...

I really like the design, it's very very good, but the execution could use some little touches. We can't let Schiit go complacent, right? Stay on your toes Jason
smily_headphones1.gif

Cheers,

K

Quite a price difference with the Asgard2 I would say.
Saw prices close to 1000 euro and the Asgard2 was around 250 euro for me.
I have to issues with the build quality, it's simple, looks nice, edges could be less sharp indeed, but other then that I'm very happy
with the sound quality.

Aug 14, 2015 at 9:52 AM Post #2,246 of 2,741
Haha dude. The Conductor retailed at $1850 when it first came out. No way, you can compare it to the $250 Asgard.

I its great someone is comparing the Conductor to the Asgard 2. Such comparisons, shows how much bang for the buck, one gets with the Asgard 2. I own the Asgard 2, and I use it, to drive my cans, while watching television. I also use it, to burn in, my headphones.

Aug 14, 2015 at 9:57 AM Post #2,247 of 2,741
Haha dude. The Conductor retailed at $1850 when it first came out. No way, you can compare it to the $250 Asgard.

Yes, Dude, I know, where did I say that I want that? Never said that they should be on the same level. Even though the $519 bifrost with all options has the same chassis, so.....

I owned the Asgard, I had one of the first 200 units when it was the only product Schiit sold and I had one of the first Valhallas, the Magni2Uber, Modi and Modi2Uber - so Schiit has gotten a lot of my money already in exchange for amazing products.

But as I said, am not expecting Conductor quality but a few little (inexpensive) touches here and there would go a long way.

That's all.

Cheers,
K

Aug 14, 2015 at 10:11 AM Post #2,248 of 2,741
Yes, Dude, I know, where did I say that I want that? Never said that they should be on the same level. Even though the $519 bifrost with all options has the same chassis, so.....

I owned the Asgard, I had one of the first 200 units when it was the only product Schiit sold and I had one of the first Valhallas, the Magni2Uber, Modi and Modi2Uber - so Schiit has gotten a lot of my money already in exchange for amazing products.

But as I said, am not expecting Conductor quality but a few little (inexpensive) touches here and there would go a long way.

That's all.

Cheers,
K

+1 Well said sir. I still need to audition the Valhalla.

Aug 14, 2015 at 10:43 AM Post #2,249 of 2,741
+1 Well said sir. I still need to audition the Valhalla.

Yes, yes you do!
I have Asgard 2, my bud bigro has Valhalla 2. We share hardware so I got to spend a day with it. I was very impressed at how quiet, tamed, yet clean and responsive it was. It's on my list one day. He swapped out the stock tubes, can't recall which he used, but they were definitely an improvement. Not as bright as stock, more controlled.

He was equally impressed with the Asgard. I now have tortured him by letting him use my Bifrost for a weekend. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back