NEW - Schiit Asgard 2
Jan 16, 2015 at 11:45 AM Post #2,056 of 2,741
I'm hoping to check out the HifiMan's soon....   From what I've read, they have the sound signature I'm looking for.  I'm mostly a classical listener, and very few things do organ and symphonic strings well...  I had Stax Lambda's which were great on strings, but really couldn't get the bass extension I was looking for.

Jan 16, 2015 at 11:51 AM Post #2,057 of 2,741
  I'm hoping to check out the HifiMan's soon....   From what I've read, they have the sound signature I'm looking for.  I'm mostly a classical listener, and very few things do organ and symphonic strings well...  I had Stax Lambda's which were great on strings, but really couldn't get the bass extension I was looking for.

I suspect that the bass extension of planars will do very well with organ music. Here's to the roar of big pipes. 
basshead.gif

Feb 3, 2015 at 6:30 PM Post #2,059 of 2,741
How does the asgard2 sound with the beyerdynamic t1?

I am also interested in this pairing.  Just got an Asgard 2, and I like it very much with my old school DT 880's.  Was thinking of upgrading to a T1.  Not sure if I can get by with Modi 2 Uber and Asgard 2; was looking at the Oppo HA-1. 

Feb 4, 2015 at 7:12 PM Post #2,060 of 2,741
I finally ordered a Asgard 2 for my back porch. Plan to use it for my Beyerdynamic Dt 880 600 ohm cans and my Alpha Prime's. I will use this listening station to watch the river otters roaming my neighborhood as well as a family of pesky raccoons. Laters all, hope everyone has a good time jamming out.:)
P.s Schiit Audio rocks.
Andrew Reddog Jones.

Feb 5, 2015 at 10:59 PM Post #2,061 of 2,741
I finally ordered a Asgard 2 for my back porch. Plan to use it for my Beyerdynamic Dt 880 600 ohm cans and my Alpha Prime's. I will use this listening station to watch the river otters roaming my neighborhood as well as a family of pesky raccoons. Laters all, hope everyone has a good time jamming out.
smily_headphones1.gif

P.s Schiit Audio rocks.
Andrew Reddog Jones.

You must live in a very cool house in a very cool area.

Feb 5, 2015 at 11:49 PM Post #2,062 of 2,741
You must live in a very cool house in a very cool area.

Thanks My house boarders on a wilderness strip, that boarders three ponds and a small swamp, that has become a oasis for the displaced wildlife, from all the development. I am very surprised about the otters, but wildlife officials say there are more otters in suburbia, than in the wild. Furthermore all the lakes are restocked with fish, so the wild fowl can eat. Sorry I got off topic but I love wildlife and concerned their ecosystem.. My Asgard 2 will be delivered on Monday, I can not wait lol.

Feb 6, 2015 at 12:07 AM Post #2,063 of 2,741
Thanks My house boarders on a wilderness strip, that boarders three ponds and a small swamp, that has become a oasis for the displaced wildlife, from all the development. I am very surprised about the otters, but wildlife officials say there are more otters in suburbia, than in the wild. Furthermore all the lakes are restocked with fish, so the wild fowl can eat. Sorry I got off topic but I love wildlife and concerned their ecosystem.. My Asgard 2 will be delivered on Monday, I can not wait lol.

I think you're going to like the Asgard 2, it's a solid amp. And, enjoy that wildlife. I wished I lived in an area that I could enjoy my music while watching nature as you describe. You're very lucky indeed!

Feb 7, 2015 at 8:34 AM Post #2,064 of 2,741
How does the asgard2 sound with the beyerdynamic t1?

To be honest: not exactly that good. I prefer the Schiit Valhalla or the Lyr (I own only the first generation models of these amps) in combination with these headphones. The Asgard 2 sounds somehow thin and powerless, regardless of the gain setting. In my opinion the best match in this price range of Schiit amps for the Beyerdynamic T1 is the Valhalla. It sounds powerful and juicy.

The best sounding amp I personally heard paired with the T1s is the SPL Phonitor 2, but this is quite expensive. If you like the SPL sound, an interesting alternative might be the → SPL Phonitor mini.

Kind regards,

Werner.

Feb 7, 2015 at 9:47 AM Post #2,065 of 2,741

To be honest: not exactly that good. I prefer the Schiit Valhalla or the Lyr (I own only the first generation models of these amps) in combination with these headphones. The Asgard 2 sounds somehow thin and powerless, regardless of the gain setting. In my opinion the best match in this price range of Schiit amps for the Beyerdynamic T1 is the Valhalla. It sounds powerful and juicy.

The best sounding amp I personally heard paired with the T1s is the SPL Phonitor 2, but this is quite expensive. If you like the SPL sound, an interesting alternative might be the → SPL Phonitor mini.

Kind regards,

Werner.

This is probably due to the T1's 600 Ohm impedance, which is more of an unusual case for most people using headphones. That's probably why you prefer the Valahalla or Lyr. The Valhalla 2 probably is a great choice for 600 Ohm cans. The Asgard 2 isn't really made for 600 Ohm cans as it can only deliver 190 mW at 600 Ohms.
I didn't look at the sensitivity specs so I might be wrong about the power demands of the T1's.

Feb 7, 2015 at 10:41 AM Post #2,066 of 2,741
I haven't heard the T1's on the A2 & Gungnir (gen2 USB) but with every headphone (mine and friends) I've tried the Asgard 2 has sounded very neutral and has had plenty of power. Yet as Stan pointed out the Valhalla 2 will put out more power (probably double or more) into 600 Ohm's and I'd be willing to bet that it would make one Hell of a sweet sounding preamp for a stereo amp/speaker setup. I need to grab myself a Valhalla 2 as I'd love to hear how well it works as a preamp in my office setup. I've been using the Asgard 2 at the office as my headphone amp and preamp to a Parasound Halo A23 and it does an incredible job...it's a ridiculous bargain. 

Good luck! 

Feb 7, 2015 at 11:28 AM Post #2,067 of 2,741
wberghofer/Stand - thank you very much, very helpful feedback, and confirms my initial concerns with the pairing.  I think I will rock the T1's with the Asgard 2 and hold out on upgrading my amp until the 2nd half of the year.  

Feb 7, 2015 at 11:44 AM Post #2,069 of 2,741
  How does the Asgard 2 compare in power and sound quality (not price) to the Magni 2 Uber.  Any input will help me decide. I want to do this ASAP.

Thanks, Charlie   ♫

Power outputs are very similar with the Magni U having a bit of an edge with lower impedance headphones. Distortion is lower on the Magni, .002% vs .008% on the Asgard. Actually, in blind testing I doubt you could tell the difference in SQ.

I know, no help right?

Feb 7, 2015 at 11:47 AM Post #2,070 of 2,741

Kind regards,

Werner.

Agree with this I have not heard the T1 on an Asgard 2 but when I tried mine on the Vali I was unimpressed, but then I tried them on my Lyr and was blown away. Those phones really like, no, love power. The bass in particular really started to pop with the extra juice of the Lyr amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back