New Rudistor NX-03 (solid state)
Aug 8, 2008 at 1:14 PM Post #79 of 111
Quote:

Originally Posted by NeoVibe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
says it's totally new...

Difficult to tell just how "totally new". Here's a shot of the NX-02 internals from a Head-Fi review:

img0354fv4.jpg

And a bad angle showing the internals of the NX-03:

NX03int%20301.jpg

A cursory look shows the toriod is now on the PCB. Beyond that, it looks pretty similiar in layout. Since Rudi's website doesn't indicate specific components, it's impossible to tell if any other parts (op-amps, etc.) are changed.

Sometimes minor changes are done in the interest of easier manufacture, and/or reliability. All good things regardless. I love my NX-02, and am completely happy with it. But I'm still curious about the new model.

Aug 16, 2008 at 6:43 PM Post #80 of 111
I forgot to post a reply I got from Rudistor a few weeks ago:

Quote:

The NX03 is a development on the well known NX02 sistema you can use one of the review of this amp as a refer, having in mind that NX03 is even more dynamic more transparent and detailed.

So, it should be at the very least a bit better than the nx-02 and sonically not very different.

To get some reference, in terms of more mainstream amps that most people talk about on head-fi, 'where' does the nx-02 fit in terms of overall 'sound quality'? (that pretty generic
smily_headphones1.gif
)
For instance, is it above or below a Raptor or somewhere around?

thanks

Aug 16, 2008 at 7:37 PM Post #81 of 111
Quote:

is it above or below a Raptor or somewhere around?

In terms of construction quality, I'd say they are equally on-par. Which is to say "excellent".

In terms of sound characteristics, I prefer the NX-02's transparency, speed, & blackness over the Raptor I owned before. But then again, I'm more of a SS guy, than a tube person. Quote:

So, it should be at the very least a bit better than the nx-02 and sonically not very different.

Rudistor's quote is more than a bit vague, and does not really indicate in any way just why the new model should be better. I wish we had more details.

Aug 16, 2008 at 8:05 PM Post #82 of 111
I just received mine. It is really something new. I've replaced my iQube with it. It also makes a great match for my Edition 9's.

Aug 16, 2008 at 8:34 PM Post #84 of 111
Quote:

Originally Posted by BigEat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just received mine. It is really something new. I've replaced my iQube with it. It also makes a great match for my Edition 9's.

Are you referring to the portable XJ-03 or did you also get a home NX-03 which this thread is about?

Aug 16, 2008 at 8:42 PM Post #85 of 111
Quote:

To get some reference, in terms of more mainstream amps that most people talk about on head-fi, 'where' does the nx-02 fit in terms of overall 'sound quality'? (that pretty generic
smily_headphones1.gif
)
For instance, is it above or below a Raptor or somewhere around?

It is definitely more versatile than a Raptor.

Aug 16, 2008 at 10:51 PM Post #86 of 111
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpelg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
[size=xx-small]NX-03 vs. NX-02?[/size]

I am wondering how much the NX-03 differs from its predecessor (eg. circuit design, specific op-amp, etc.)?

Wtihout entering in details that I'm not authorized to disclose, the NX03 is a more comercial version of the NX-02 (in the good sense, not in the sense we use to see the word commercial use, as low quality, etc...) with an improved PSU, and more clean layout, more board mounted parts, what makes it easier to assemble, but basically it uses a very similar topology.

It is a more versatile amp, the NX02 was optimized from the impedance and requirments of the Ultrasone PROLines, while the NX03 is able to handle a more variety of loads. The NX03 is smaller in size, and more apealing as well, as the NX02 has the blue face to match the PROlines color...

Aug 20, 2008 at 7:32 AM Post #87 of 111
Could I be the only who owns the NX-03 in the whole forum?

I've had the amp for about a month or so now, as it was highly recommended by markl when I asked him what amp I should get in that price range to match with the markl modded D5000 he was doing at the time. At that time, I was considering the Musical Fidelity X-can V8, and this was his reply:

"Well, to be honest, I don't think much of the Musical Fidelity headphone amps, though I haven't heard one of the last few iterations.

I would more stongly recommend a solid state amp for them. The problem is, it's been a loooong time since I was in the market for an amp in the $500-$700 range, so i'm afraid my advice is probably not of much use. If you can find a used Ray Samuels HR-2, that one I've heard and know to be good.

However, if I were buying an amp in that price range today, I would be looking at this one from Rudistor: Headphone Amplifier, Hiend, Highend,NX-03,

I have not heard this particular amp, but I've owned two of Rudi's best solid state amps and they are astonishingly great. I have every reason to believe this one will be too. His amps have such a great sound and the ones I've heard mate so well with D5000."

The NX-03 is my first ever home amp. I don't have any reference to compare it to, so I don't feel very 'qualified' to comment my experience on it, but all I can say thus far is that it is a very very good amp (IMO) and drives the MD5000 very well. Apart from the NX-03, I only have a 2Move and UE Triple-fi 10 (straight out of ipod) to compare it with, but I don't believe that these make very fair comparisons.

Aug 26, 2008 at 3:50 PM Post #89 of 111
Why Ebay? The only place I found was Italian Ebay for 579 € + shipping 40€. Rudistor's home page offers it for 599 € shipping included. Or did you use some fancy haggling and got it cheaper ?

Aug 26, 2008 at 5:16 PM Post #90 of 111
I made an offer to CasqueHiFi for a Rudistor NX-03, they accepted it im happy.

The item is in France Normandy and im in London England which isnt far away at all.

By the way the offer was much less than 579 plus shipping.

I got a bargain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back