New Releases 2014 - No Records Released Before 2014
Jun 8, 2014 at 2:53 AM Post #91 of 143

Sex Pistols - Never Mind The Bollocks (1977) (2014)

Blu-ray disc!!!!

Blu-ray disc ripped to 96-24 FLAC. OMG! It finally sounds the way it should sound! On Blu-ray! It kills! It slays! Get it!

Jun 14, 2014 at 5:43 AM Post #93 of 143
Heavy rotation for me lately has been Camper Van Beethoven's 2014 release called "El Camino Real" which is the follow-up to 2013's "La Costa Perdida." I loved that 2013 release, so I'm all over the new one. Camper Van Beethoven keeps exploring the weird lives of people who live in California. I enjoy not living there and hearing Camper Van Beethoven dissect it! 
biggrin.gif
 Of course, I'm living in "Not CAL," aka Arizona, which is dangerously close but thankfully completely different... All the people from California keep moving to Arizona, whether we want them or not...

Camper Van Beethoven - El Camino Real (2014)

Jun 15, 2014 at 5:08 AM Post #95 of 143
Yes - Heaven & Earth

STEVE HOWE – Electric, Acoustic, & Steel Guitars, Vocals
CHRIS SQUIRE – Bass Guitar, Vocals
ALAN WHITE – Drums, Percussion
GEOFF DOWNES – Keyboards, Computer Programming
JON DAVISON – Vocals, Acoustic Guitar (on Believe Again & Light Of The Ages)

Jun 18, 2014 at 4:16 PM Post #97 of 143

Aphex Twin: Caustic Window

Ok, technically this isn't really new. But a good chunk of it is new to a lot of people, and the Kickstarted digital release of it that dropped last week is the first wide release it's gotten. I haven't actually had a chance to listen yet--I was on vacation all last week and had limited access to the internet. But you'd better believe I'm going to listen to it tonight. And I'm pretty sure it's going to be a good listen.

Jun 21, 2014 at 12:23 PM Post #98 of 143
I've really been liking the new Hundred Waters The Moon Rang Like a Bell in the last couple weeks, not completely electronic, lots of processed piano, and it does have very nice female vocals making it somewhat reminiscent of Portishead, and it is pretty enchanting overall. Been stuck on repeat lately, just feels too good to stop.

Also saw it mentioned in the "What are you listening to right now?" thread, but the new debut from The Glass Animals is pretty fun too, Zaba.

And Willy Vlautin from the great Richmond Fontaine has another band now with singer Amy Boone handling vocals, and their debut Colfax is great. Below from The Line of Best Fit review ...

It’s a relief to note that Colfax matches both the songwriting and musical prowess of such Richmond Fontaine classics as Post to Wire (2004) and We Used to Think the Freeway Sounded Like the River (2009). It’s just that the band is different this time around. Retaining RF drummer Sean Oldham and adding singer Amy Boone of the Damnations, Tucker Jackson (pedal steel), The Decemberists’ Jenny Conlee (keyboards) and Freddy Trujillo on bass (Vlautin handles guitar duties), The Delines add a big dollop of retro soul to Richmond Fontaine’s country-twanged barroom brawls and bruised balladry. Although the new sound is immediately recognisable to fans of Fontaine, this music has a powerful, blue-tinged wee small hours (Colfax is most definitely a record best enjoyed late at night) country-got-soul vibe; think of Stax setting up shop in a disreputable area of Nashville, in a spot between a pawnshop and a rundown boozer with a strict no daylight rule.

Oh yea, should definitely mention the new Antlers Familiars, seems like it's been out much longer since I've been listening to and loving a leak for the last couple months, but I actually just got the real release. Great, great record, just gets better with each listen, so much to explore and absorb. And those horns, wow, just perfect for these songs, and Peter's voice, which has never been better, really nice. As usual, I think it would be even better with more dynamic range, and space, and all the things we like about older recordings before "loud" became the most important sound descriptor, but still great music from a favorite.

And Sharon Van Etten Are We There, what a strong musical force she is, just love it. Very powerful solo performance on Jools Holland a few weeks ago. Wish it sounded better, but I say that about almost everything nowadays. The latest from Jolie Holland is amazing, think I probably mentioned it up above or in another thread, Wine Dark Sea, love it. And Wild Beasts, need some more time with this new one since I just got it, but very solid, loved the last one and they were also on that Jools Holland episode with Sharon Van Etten

Jul 1, 2014 at 11:54 AM Post #99 of 143

Fun metal!

Serious metal!

Both are excellent!

Jul 12, 2014 at 3:44 PM Post #101 of 143

Timber Timbre: Hot Dreams
Poppy and nostalgic blues, country, and folk (with just a touch of Morricone) on the surface, but crack its shell and witness the rot that squirms beneath. This could be the soundtrack to Blue Velvet.

Musk Ox: Woodfall
Gorgeous instrumental neofolk, performed on guitar, cello, and violin. A strong contender for my album of the year.

Jul 26, 2014 at 1:44 AM Post #102 of 143

Brian Jonestown Massacre - Revelation

Maybe one of their best albums or Anton Newcombe's at least, after he moved to Berlin a couple of years ago. . Neo-Psychedelic, German Kraut rock, 60's California, Stones and Bowie (Berlin) inspired.

A huge mess, but very catchy to my mind...

First song is in Swedish, certainly not German as some reviews have claimed... No clue why it is in Swedish..?

Jul 26, 2014 at 8:51 AM Post #103 of 143

Boris - Noise
http://boris.bandcamp.com/album/noise

Aug 2, 2014 at 9:41 AM Post #104 of 143

Brian Jonestown Massacre - Revelation

Maybe one of their best albums or Anton Newcombe's at least, after he moved to Berlin a couple of years ago. . Neo-Psychedelic, German Kraut rock, 60's California, Stones and Bowie (Berlin) inspired.

A huge mess, but very catchy to my mind...

First song is in Swedish, certainly not German as some reviews have claimed... No clue why it is in Swedish..?

I'm on it. Thanks! 
biggrin.gif

Aug 2, 2014 at 1:38 PM Post #105 of 143

Freddie Gibbs & Madlib: Pinata 
Aggressive and intelligent gangsta rap laid on top of some of the best hip hop beats since... Madvillainy. Yeah, it's that good.

Shabazz Palaces: Lese Majesty 
Gorgeous, nocturnal, spacey hip hop. 

Neil Cicierega: Mouth Silence
Neil elevates the mashup--this will blow your mind. It'll also frustrate, annoy, and disgust you--and probably make you laugh. This is some prime musical terrorism right here. Just be sure to avoid its sister effort Mouth Sounds unless you have or until you do build up a serious immunity to Smash Mouth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back