New Releases 2014 - No Records Released Before 2014
Oct 13, 2014 at 4:01 AM Post #136 of 143
I think I may have found my favourite album of 2014. Maybe even of the last couple of years. Been playing it relentlessly. It reminds me of that it's been a very long time that a record made such an impression and had giant replay value. Even more so because it's a female artist who with the odd exception don't do it for me at all. Emma Ruth Rundle (oh sweet beautiful Emma) - Some Heavy Ocean

Oct 19, 2014 at 6:00 PM Post #137 of 143
Is one of the rules to post the cd pic?  LOL....

Dave Weckl "Convergence" cd.

Arguably the greatest drummer in the world put out an amazing collaboration with his past keyboard player Jay Oliver.

If you were ever looking for a cd that bridged the gap between rock and jazz you can't go wrong with this cd.  It's amazing.  All musicians are masters at their craft.  I love this cd!!

Oct 21, 2014 at 10:46 AM Post #138 of 143

Jenny Hval & Susanna: Meshes of Voice

Tried to pull together a paragraph describing this thing--after half a dozen false starts I gave up. Let's just put it this way: if you have a thing for weird pop, and you're pretty ok with noisy experimentation and droning ambiance, then you need this in your life. The art pop equivalent of Boris and Sunn O)))'s Altar. 

Kayo Dot: Coffins on Io

Will Kayo Dot top my year-end list of best albums, like they did last year? Stay tuned to find out!

Oct 28, 2014 at 2:04 AM Post #139 of 143
Johnny Marr returns.. Much better than last year totally forgotten album, now he at least sounds or looks like Liam or Noal Gallagher, make your pick.. One absolutely great thing IMO.. I have heard that JM is playing a bunch (some) of the Smiths songs at his present tour. That is all I need to experience in 2014.. Who else can play the intro of "This Charming Man" etc. correctly and with the same time feel..

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=video&cd=5&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CDEQtwIwBA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D6PD2qRyL470&ei=bzJPVKruAoGAsQTCuYKQDQ&usg=AFQjCNEPBWobQ7DwnOVRbb4jg4lavWbDjw&sig2=ExpR67qvz500gTJDx4q9BA&bvm=bv.77880786,d.cWc

Oct 28, 2014 at 11:18 AM Post #140 of 143

Vashti Bunyan: Heartleap
You'll either find it to be beautiful or to be boring. I think it's quite beautiful.

Godflesh: A World Lit Only by Fire
Godflesh are back, and in a big way. One of the best metal albums of the year.

Pharmakon: Bestial Burden
Death industrial goes pop. Viscera and vomit are involved. (Note: not actually a pop record.)

Run the Jewels: Run the Jewels 2
Hip hop album of the year?

Scott Walker and Sunn O))): Soused
Two of the most prominent and yes, even legendary, modern experimental rock artists team up and see what happens. Remember that Lou Reed + Metallica thing that came out a couple years back? If you are at all like me, you actually had some hopes for that thing, and thought that there were at least a couple of pretty stunning moments on it, even if the rest was trash. This is sort of like those stunning moments, stretched out to 50 minutes. A must for those who love Walker's recent work.

Oct 30, 2014 at 2:11 PM Post #141 of 143

Drive-By Truckers: English Oceans
One of the great modern rock bands, Drive-By Trucker's newest album keeps the song writing tight. A nice album for sunny fall days.

Cayetana: Nervous Like Me
Fun pop punk.

Nov 7, 2015 at 2:48 PM Post #142 of 143
  Both of these come out tomorrow, 1/14.

The Crystal Method - (self-titled) (electronica)

Devour the Day - Time & Pressure (heavy rock/metal)

Devour the Day - Time & Pressure

This is an awesome album. First heard "Good Man" on Octane and loved the song. So I looked up the album and love it. Every song has something different, its not just the same old rock songs over and over again. This album just gets better from beginning to end. Great band and hope to hear more from them in the future.

Dec 9, 2015 at 2:31 AM Post #143 of 143
Devour the Day - Time & Pressure  
This is an awesome album. First heard "Good Man" on Octane and loved the song. So I looked up the album and love it. Every song has something different, its not just the same old rock songs over and over again. This album just gets better from beginning to end. Great band and hope to hear more from them in the future.

Delayed response here I know, but a sincere thanks for the bump/recommendation. I hadn't actually picked up that album yet (I did get The Crystal Method's album, but not Devour The Day's) and had somewhat forgotten about it, previewing it again just now reminded me of why I got interested in it in the first place. Have to pick that album up soon!

Btw, there's an updated thread for 2015 releases elsewhere in this forum, I'm always on the prowl for new music if you have any recs.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back