New Releases 2014 - No Records Released Before 2014
Mar 2, 2014 at 1:27 PM Post #31 of 143
I'm liking Beck's "Morning Phase" as well.  Here's a couple other 2014 releases I'm enjoying:

Temples "Sun Structures".  Very retro sounding.  Psychedelic rock to be more specific.  The Zombies are what I hear the most.  When I heard Johnny Marr and Noel Gallagher say this was the best new band in England, I was sold.  

Anything James Mercer does, I'm going to listen to.  If you liked the first Broken Bell album, you'll mostly likely be pleased with this one.

Mar 3, 2014 at 4:29 AM Post #32 of 143

Scott H. Biram - Nothin' But Blood (2014)

Review from allmusic.com:

Any album that includes a song about a guy who gets nostalgic about smoking weed during his hitch in Vietnam is clearly aiming to sound hard as nails, and would Scott H. Biram have it any other way? Released in 2014, Nothin' But Blood finds the hard-living and hard-playing one-man band Biram sounding as intense as ever, and the cranked-up hillbilly stomp of "Alcohol Blues," the almost-metal assault of "Around the Bend," and the gritty boogie of "Church Point Girls" confirm he's still got booze, dope, violence, and women on his mind. But Biram also seems to have developed some real concerns about his spiritual well-being; the album's second song, "Gotta Get to Heaven," finds him pondering the consequences of his wicked ways and the high stakes of life in the 21st century, while the woeful country blues of "Never Comin' Home" is a powerful evocation of where the wild life can leave someone. Biram even closes out the album with three gospel tunes, and he manages to make "Amazing Grace," "When I Die," and "John the Revelator" sound just as raw and uncompromised as his own hardscrabble music, albeit while honoring their spiritual message. Given the vehemence with which Biram embraces reckless (and even homicidal) behavior on some of these tunes, his turn toward redemption seems at once fitting and a bit eccentric, as if he's truly struggling with the balance of sin and salvation. But anyone who has been following Scott H. Biram's work has probably figured that he's never worried about pleasing everyone (or anyone besides himself), and the contradictions that are a major part of Nothin' But Blood are just part of the messy way of life he's always sung about, and on this album he continues to make tough, compelling art out of the myriad imbalances of life.

Mar 3, 2014 at 11:24 AM Post #33 of 143

Behemoth: The Satanist

Hail Satan! \m/(-_-)\m/

Mar 9, 2014 at 7:28 AM Post #34 of 143

Temples "Sun Structures".  Very retro sounding.  Psychedelic rock to be more specific.  The Zombies are what I hear the most.  When I heard Johnny Marr and Noel Gallagher say this was the best new band in England, I was sold.  

I listened to this album. I like the neo-Beatles feel, but there is one thing that bothers me about it. From the outset, it seems there is some kind of overdrive or distortion applied to the snare drum. The entire album seems generally well-recorded, but I keep hearing some kind of overdrive or distortion applied to the the snare drum that really bothers me and detracts from the album. 

Funny copy of "Who's Next" for the album cover, though.... 
wink_face.gif

Mar 9, 2014 at 11:32 AM Post #35 of 143

Yep, it's good.

Mar 11, 2014 at 6:15 AM Post #36 of 143

I've been listening to this all day and although I was underwhelmed at first--this is a well-made, polished album that sneaks up on you. Beck isn't breaking any ground with this release, but I dare you to find a better crafted alt-rock recording. Every track sounds crisp, solid, and well-produced. The songs are intimate more than anthemic, and Beck's soaring ethereal vocals consistently elevate the material. Sea Change II? Maybe, but that's not a bad thing.

I've listened to it a few times. I'm a big Beck fan, but somehow it's not growing on me that much. The songs seem to "blend together" to me. I have trouble telling one song from another. I'm a fan of Beck and I've seen him live in the old days and really enjoyed it, but I'm having trouble getting excited about this record. I wish that wasn't so, because I like Beck, but I'm failing to get excited about this record.

I'll keep trying for awhile...

Mar 11, 2014 at 8:00 PM Post #37 of 143
Doesn't really fit the common genres, but:

Schoolboy Q - Oxymoron

Mar 11, 2014 at 8:00 PM Post #38 of 143

I've listened to it a few times. I'm a big Beck fan, but somehow it's not growing on me that much. The songs seem to "blend together" to me. I have trouble telling one song from another. I'm a fan of Beck and I've seen him live in the old days and really enjoyed it, but I'm having trouble getting excited about this record. I wish that wasn't so, because I like Beck, but I'm failing to get excited about this record.

I'll keep trying for awhile...

I was in the same boat at 3 listens.  It took about 5 before I started getting into it.  I can see what you are saying about "Blending together".  It was like that for me at first but now, the album just seems to have great flow.  "Turn Away", "Blackbird Chain", "Waking Light" and "Wave" are really standing out for me now.  I think they are right up there with Beck's best work.  From start to finish, I dare say I like it better than "Sea Change".

Mar 21, 2014 at 12:09 PM Post #40 of 143
Mar 23, 2014 at 5:11 AM Post #42 of 143

Thievery Corporation - Saudade (2014)

Think Sade.

Mar 23, 2014 at 10:50 AM Post #43 of 143

Ginsuke - Freestyle2

Iiro Rantala String Trio - Anyone with a Heart

Saw him live yesterday. Man the man is brilliant!

Miyuki - Fellow Citizen
https://miyuki.bandcamp.com/album/fellow-citizen

This album is name-your-price! Don't be surprised to see this record among my favorites from 2014 when the year is over.

Various artists (DJ mix by Shingo Nakamura) - Only Silk 02

Shingo Nakamura - Days

Been enjoying this ever since the CD came out earlier this month. This is such a delightfully crafted work of beauty. Guess which album is currently sitting at #2 on Beatport's progressive house chart?

Trampique - Face to Face
http://store.darkclover.ro/album/face-to-face

Description:

Trampique is Volor Flex's new alias. "Face To Face" is the 12-tracks long album best described by the man himself: 

"Trampik is this place in my hometown, where I go when I want to be alone. My close friends know that if I'm missing, they can find me there. 

This album is about one year of my life. 2013 was very emotional and complex, each month has left a distinct print on my life. I had a lot of very difficult moments. I tried to translate them all into music. I made an album that describes this heartbreaking year."

Mar 29, 2014 at 5:22 AM Post #44 of 143

Foster The People - Supermodel (2014)

Surveying the pop landscape just because I can...

Mar 29, 2014 at 5:33 AM Post #45 of 143

Grateful Dead - Dave's Picks Volume 9 (2014)

Harry Adams Field House, University of Montana, Missoula, Montana - 5/14/74

Anyone who listens to The Dead will tell you, the music never stops. 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back