New release - the AKG K553 Pro - featuring a killer Massdrop deal
Apr 27, 2015 at 11:45 AM Post #198 of 625
I'm looking for a closed full-sized can for home and portable use.  

I have the DT-770 Pro 32ohms coming in the mail.  Anyone know how these would compare in terms of sound quality, isolation, comfort?  I wonder if I should jump on this instead and return the 770s.

Apr 27, 2015 at 11:51 AM Post #199 of 625
Exactly same question here, would it be a good replacement for DT-770 32 ohms? I am looking for something more balanced with less boom. Not that I think I would sell the Beyers, but it would be nice for classical or vocals to have cans a bit more neutral.

Apr 27, 2015 at 11:57 AM Post #200 of 625
From what I read, these are more detailed and neutral and the 770 is more v-shaped.    I used to own the AKG K702 and loved the detail in those open cans.  If these are anywhere near that, I think i'd prefer it over the 770.   I can always boost the bass occasionally with an EQ :)

I worry these are not as isolating as the 770 from what I'm reading though.  I wonder how well they'll work on a plane.

Apr 27, 2015 at 12:10 PM Post #201 of 625
Thanks, I think I'll give it a go, definitely looking for a more neutral sound signature and details. The DT 770 works great for electro - hip hop - bass centric music, but detail is sometimes lacking and it sometimes sounds murky and overly warm with my DAC. Sounds like the K553 will bring a nice change to that, maybe at the expense of comfort and isolation. But for 120 bucks, worth it me thinks...

Apr 27, 2015 at 12:20 PM Post #202 of 625
Y
From what I read, these are more detailed and neutral and the 770 is more v-shaped.    I used to own the AKG K702 and loved the detail in those open cans.  If these are anywhere near that, I think i'd prefer it over the 770.   I can always boost the bass occasionally with an EQ :)

I worry these are not as isolating as the 770 from what I'm reading though.  I wonder how well they'll work on a plane.

Same eq as you said with a larger soundstage than most closed headphones. I have a 7 1/4" hat size and fit is loose out of the box. You really need to bend the headband to get a good fit. Isolation with these are average at best for my head.

Apr 27, 2015 at 1:11 PM Post #203 of 625
do these 553 fall off that easy like 550 did when you moved head up and down? i'm interested, screw the undetachable cable, i'm thinking anyway

Apr 27, 2015 at 3:39 PM Post #206 of 625
I just jumped on the Philips SHP-9500 drop before this one but it hasn't arrived yet. Can anyone give me a comparison between the SHP-9500 and the K553 pro? I'm thinking of grabbing this and just giving the other ones to my dad for his birthday.

EDIT: I'm using an EF5 tube amp to power them.

Apr 27, 2015 at 6:37 PM Post #208 of 625

From what other people have said these are pretty much exactly the same as the 550. If they 550 fell off then these would probably do the same.

Thanks for reply, then i am going after marshall monitor closed type headphones

found ones in very good condition for 60quid (new ones 90-110), K553 ~ 95 quid for new : P, should sit tighter on head and has a detachable cable, with tight not overpowering bass, and good for rock metal and jazz (somebody tried them on Black Sabbath and Dream Theater songs, hell yeah bands!), and somebody is recommending them over ath-m40x 50x which i was looking to get long enough for:) will have them by the end of this week

Apr 27, 2015 at 8:27 PM Post #209 of 625
I have no idea how these compare to the 550 or 551, but I'm still enjoying these. The price via massdrops just "feels" right - not sure I'd be quite as happy if I paid full retail for them. I have mine on right now, being driven by my Magni 2. Pushing some awesome Nightwish through - it's not eye (ear) opening, but they also are not overly coloring or burying things on the album.

Apr 27, 2015 at 9:02 PM Post #210 of 625
I have no idea how these compare to the 550 or 551, but I'm still enjoying these. The price via massdrops just "feels" right - not sure I'd be quite as happy if I paid full retail for them. I have mine on right now, being driven by my Magni 2. Pushing some awesome Nightwish through - it's not eye (ear) opening, but they also are not overly coloring or burying things on the album.

Go back a few pages. I compared them side by side with the k550s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back