New release - the AKG K553 Pro - featuring a killer Massdrop deal
Apr 22, 2015 at 10:26 AM Post #166 of 625
for everyone who thinks the ak553 cable is too long & doesn't want to spend money on a detachable mod:

braiding your long headphone cable: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rt-m6C5-T0M

Apr 22, 2015 at 1:54 PM Post #167 of 625
  for everyone who thinks the ak553 cable is too long & doesn't want to spend money on a detachable mod:

braiding your long headphone cable: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rt-m6C5-T0M

This doesn't harm the cord in any way I'm guessing? I might do this tonight if it's ok.

I'm loving this headset. The only thing I have to compare it to is a really old set of HD555 and I'm not audiophile. It's my first "closed" set of headphones and it's very different from the open HD555. Weird using it while talking with people on the PC as I'm sure I'm yelling at them now.

The one thing I'm not a fan of with these headphones is if I move the band to a different part of my head the pads don't actually move. They are sealed to my head pretty well as I don't have that much hair lol. Is this normal for pads on headphones to not rotate with the rest of the headphones?

Also I just got my tax return back so I'll be ordering a magni2/modi2 tonight. Can't wait!

Apr 22, 2015 at 3:28 PM Post #169 of 625
I can freely rotate the earpad when the headphones are on my head. Is there something I should check to make sure the earpad is securely on? Again I'm quite new to purchasing decent headphones.

Apr 22, 2015 at 3:58 PM Post #171 of 625
Well, I'll be darned - they do rotate
blink.gif

And now that I'm checking, my others do, as well. Never noticed it at all before.

This makes me feel much better... unless mine, yours, and your other headphones are all faulty
blink.gif

Apr 22, 2015 at 5:42 PM Post #172 of 625
Which earpads would be best for these cans? Because actually I have the tip of both ears that touch the driver. I'm thinking about getting the Brainwavz HM5 but I don't know which to take between the pleather and velour one. The one which will make them sound nearer to the AT900x will be the better.

Apr 22, 2015 at 6:30 PM Post #173 of 625
Apr 22, 2015 at 7:13 PM Post #174 of 625
  Which earpads would be best for these cans? Because actually I have the tip of both ears that touch the driver. I'm thinking about getting the Brainwavz HM5 but I don't know which to take between the pleather and velour one. The one which will make them sound nearer to the AT900x will be the better.

If you're thinking about the HM5 pads for the K553, then don't buy them. I tried to put on the HM5 pads that I had on my M50S on my K553 and they clearly do not fit as they are too small. But I am having the same problem with my ears touching the insides and it does hurt after about 30 mins of listening, and am wondering if there are replacement pads that are much deeper.

Apr 22, 2015 at 7:39 PM Post #176 of 625
The sole problem with those is that they are 60 bucks which is kinda costly for only earpads

Apr 22, 2015 at 8:55 PM Post #177 of 625
I have finally found a solution for us small head. The post #12 on this tread , I tried it with shoelaces. My ear don't touch anymore the drivers, the seal and the sound seem even better and it doesn't even look as modded.

Apr 22, 2015 at 9:48 PM Post #178 of 625
Hmmm... too bassy for me?

How're the 553s turning out now? Still improving?

Eternas are a guilty pleasure IEM which received a Sonic Diamond from ClieOS. They're quite enjoyable, but I've got others I use more so...

K553 are definitely sounding better to me now. I'm sure it's not brain burnin, since I'm listening to other HP/IEM as well. I've been burning them in overnight at normal listening volume with some bass-heavy music. Highs don't seem as harsh and I'm getting more bass. Makes me more interested in try K7XX when they drop next :L3000:

Apr 23, 2015 at 9:26 AM Post #180 of 625
I've never tried the alpha pads myself, although I have installed the MrSpeakers Dog Pads on my K550. You'll have to PM head-fi member koalapear to get sound and seal impressions about the Alpha Pads (although in this post he says the seal and bass is better).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back